Why do we still not have cap numbers for Star?

1 hour ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I feel like we over paid but we were in desperate need of a run stuffing DT that can push the pocket. McD familiarity with him can only be a positive.

You are right, too bad that McDermott and Beane didn’t know much about him before offering him that money...

id like to believe that both would know exactly how they want to use Lotulelei and would offer him $ appropriate for that role.

Edited by OldTimer1960

24 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

You are right, too bad that McDermott and Beane didn’t know much about him before offering him that money...

id like to believe that both would know exactly how they want to use Lotulelei and would offer him $ appropriate for that role.

The only thing that matter is the guaranteed $.  

9 hours ago, Cash said:

Could be. I'll say closer to 10mil a year, but not much over. 

Nailed it. 

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Should’ve signed suh for that price tag.  I like Star for what he is.  A big strong body that takes up blocks, but I think that’s a little steep. Sometimes you have to overpay.  

They clearly wanted a nose tackle space eater type though, which Suh isn't. You could make a case that thy should've gone after Dontari Poe, who got $27 million over 3 years. I kinda think Poe is better, but what do I know? I'm not much of an "appeal to authority" guy, but I really do give the Bills the benefit of the doubt on this one. Both McDermott and Beane have a lot of familiarity with Star, and it's really hard for outside observers (PFF, etc) to quantify the effect of the space eater NT. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Cash said:

Nailed it. 

They clearly wanted a nose tackle space eater type though, which Suh isn't. You could make a case that thy should've gone after Dontari Poe, who got $27 million over 3 years. I kinda think Poe is better, but what do I know? I'm not much of an "appeal to authority" guy, but I really do give the Bills the benefit of the doubt on this one. Both McDermott and Beane have a lot of familiarity with Star, and it's really hard for outside observers (PFF, etc) to quantify the effect of the space eater NT. 

Well it might be difficult to quantify but Poe was ranked high and one of top fa dt on pff. Star ranked near the bottom, 30 fa dts ahead of him and only 4 lower. Poe signed for less money. This strikes me as a Panthercentric thing like Tolbert.

1 hour ago, Cash said:

Nailed it. 

Poe didn’t have a great year with Atlanta. Poe’s back looks to be a chronic issue at this point. I will take Star for a million more a year. 

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Well it might be difficult to quantify but Poe was ranked high and one of top fa dt on pff. Star ranked near the bottom, 30 fa dts ahead of him and only 4 lower. Poe signed for less money. This strikes me as a Panthercentric thing like Tolbert.

Yeah, maybe. But Tolbert wasn't a guy  McDermott coached directly, and was signed to a 1 year deal for low money.  Clearly was brought in as much for "culture" as for play. I think McDermott even said as such when Tolbert signed.  (How he wound up getting featured in quick slants and speed options is beyond me.)

Lotulelei was a starter for McDermott's D for several years, and signed a 5 year deal that makes him basically uncuttable for a couple years. He definitely fits into the culture, but he was clearly signed to be a key starter on the defensive front. My hope is that McDermott has a good understanding of what that front needs, and how Lotulelei can provide it. 

39 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Poe didn’t have a great year with Atlanta. Poe’s back looks to be a chronic issue at this point. I will take Star for a million more a year. 

You are right. I thought Poe was rated high on pff but he was not. Only a little higher than Star. If you check out their fa tracker and line the dt up by rating this is the top of the list: Suh, Unrein ,Richardson. DaQuan Jones, Ellis, Wilkerson, Ngata, Kyle Williams in top ten. Lotu was 31st. Pff not a definitive ranking by any means, but to be so far from the top of just the free agents has gotta say something about his play. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Hope you're right. I'd hate to think its because their embarrassed they overpaid for 1 dimensional DT.

He plays the 0 or 1 technique, aka the nose tackle, that's his job...I suggest you learn football before saying silly stuff that makes you look clueless.  His job is to hold up a double team from the guard/center and keep linebackers clean so they can flow to the ball.  Why do you think Thomas Davis and Luke Keuchley kept going to pro bowls?  He keeps those guys clean and he does it as good as anyone in the league. That's his job...any pass rush he gets is a bonus.

Edited by matter2003

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Love Wade's dry sense of humor.

Have you heard John Murphy's (no relation to our new DE) impression of Wade? Truly, surprisingly amusing. 

He shared a short bit of it on the air some time in the last year; sounded like something he had honed in private back in the late 90s. I'd look for a clip of it if I was more useful. You'll have to forgive me.

• Like (+1) 1

While I'm not thrilled with the cap hit, one can only assume Star played an integral role in McDermott's defenses, and it goes beyond any metric used on PFF.  He and Beane simply weren't going to dick around trying to save a few bucks while hoping somebody else could fill the role/learn the concepts the way they KNOW Lotulelei can.

Trust the Process.

22 minutes ago, ThunderGun said:

While I'm not thrilled with the cap hit, one can only assume Star played an integral role in McDermott's defenses, and it goes beyond any metric used on PFF.  He and Beane simply weren't going to dick around trying to save a few bucks while hoping somebody else could fill the role/learn the concepts the way they KNOW Lotulelei can.

Trust the Process.

Meh, his contract is ranked 17th from a cap hit perspective for defensive tackles. He is a space eater, stays healthy, and will keep people off meatball which damn near killed the old man late last season.  Sportrac had his market value at 8.5 mil prior to signing. Excluding the signing bonus, this contract is pretty much on target with that. Not bad for a former 14th overall draft choice.

Edited by simool

7 hours ago, BuffaloSkills said:

i wish I got bonuses for showing up and being employed. super peanut butter and jelly

If would if you were an entertainer at the top of your profession and could fill arenas, theatres, or amphitheaters, for shows/performances.