Is Beane Being Too Careful?

Gugny

DAMNITIMMAD isn’t angry, is it? It’s CRAZY mad!  :)

We move up for a QB by moving a LT who barely ever played. Hughes had squat last year. Don’t get me wrong, they are both capable of quality football, but this seems to be a new direction. Moving Hughes and the cap hit would not shock me. It fits the pattern. But we all know getting some pressure is critical going forward, by scheme or by talent (hopefully both). 

I don't really understand the premise.  We made the playoffs, yes with luck, without all of these guys we jettisoned off for the most part.  We are at worst an average team right now.  We certainly did not tank.  I agree it's a necessity to patch holes on the O-Line but that can be done.  We are now likely able to pick what we hope is a franchise QB by just giving up our 2 1st and a 2nd at most.  To me he's done this in such a way that is responsible and not mortgaging the future.

I really don't get the comment about not being able to afford everyone when what he's mostly done is strip salary.  If we have to hand out big contracts to every one of our draft picks over the next few years that would be one damn good problem to have.  

Why is everyone so convinced he's going to further trade up?  We have too many holes to fill and the opportunity to do so without giving it all up for a quarterback who may get killed because we still have to depend on the likes of windmill Mills and possibly a rookie center.  Two quarterbacks not currently on the roster will be, including a bridge and a rookie with upside, and we'll overall be in a lot better shape if we sign the right free agents and draft wisely with all the picks we currently have.

9 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

It's the attitude. The OP is criticizing Beane as "going rogue". Beane is very aggressive - just like that "fictional character" as you refer to him... He is exactly what this franchise needs from a GM... If this wasn't his 1st year on the job I'd give him a contract extension. He's already earned it in my opinion. Easily the best GM since Polian.

The fictional character went to prison for insider trading. He was a criminal, the comparison is a bad one. Polian built a team that went to four consecutive Super Bowls. Beane is easily what now? I believe that remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Why is everyone so convinced he's going to further trade up?  We have too many holes to fill and the opportunity to do so without giving it all up for a quarterback who may get killed because we still have to depend on the likes of windmill Mills and possibly a rookie center.  Two quarterbacks not currently on the roster will be, including a bridge and a rookie with upside, and we'll overall be in a lot better shape if we sign the right free agents and draft wisely with all the picks we currently have.

I would put the odds near 100 percent that they trade up and get a QB

Dude, we already have Glenn's replacement on the roster.

And if Hughes is sent out as well, it's not like he has been piling up the sacks lately, is it? We've had no pass rush, which is his job.

2 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Because it makes sense. We need a top QB prospect, the only way to get is to trade up. Beane is acquiring assets that would help make that trade. It's not a stretch to think that's the direction he's going in.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Gugny said:

First of all, I'll preface by saying that I've been down with The Process from the beginning.  I got it .. and I get it.

I understood getting rid of Watkins and Woods .. and letting Gillislee walk (to Boston).   But the purge continues with Glenn - our best offensive lineman - and now rumors are swirling about Hughes.

I love stockpiling draft picks, but you can't build a team on potential.  And even if they draft well, in three years, we won't be able to afford anyone.

I feel like he's going rogue and even if we end up with the golden boy QB, we won't be able to surround him with anything but rookies.

Cordy played in six games last year and one of which he was largely ineffective. You cant live on past accomplishments. Same goes for hughes. If they are seeing a decline in performane, attitude, or another valuable team metric, then pull the trigger. 

44 minutes ago, Gugny said:

First of all, I'll preface by saying that I've been down with The Process from the beginning.  I got it .. and I get it.

I understood getting rid of Watkins and Woods .. and letting Gillislee walk (to Boston).   But the purge continues with Glenn - our best offensive lineman - and now rumors are swirling about Hughes.

I love stockpiling draft picks, but you can't build a team on potential.  And even if they draft well, in three years, we won't be able to afford anyone.

I feel like he's going rogue and even if we end up with the golden boy QB, we won't be able to surround him with anything but rookies.

With respect, next year's cap space disagrees with you:)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hemma said:

Odds are high that we swamp the competition & win the off season.

We are practically an off season dynasty.

No, No, No!   That was Rex!

This is geared toward winning what they call “football games”. 

Novel concept, I agree. 

49 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Everyone he's getting rid of is overpaid so draft picks aside, he's accumulating cap space.

Last I heard they are now up to around $100M(!!!) cap room for 2019!! 

7 minutes ago, BobDVA said:

If anyone ever brings this up, I will deny it.  But I find myself agreeing with Gugny.  :wacko:

You should definitely deny it - starting now!  :)

Edited by BobChalmers

I'm completely confused how trading away Glenn, a guy who hasn't been consistent when he's played lately, and barely played is when giving people second thoughts.

This team lost way more talent last year. And Glenn didn't even play much. The OP listed them off, and excluded Gilmore, Williams, Brown. The team lost plenty of people who contributed more in their final year than what Glenn did last year.