Is Beane Being Too Careful?

Gugny

First of all, I'll preface by saying that I've been down with The Process from the beginning.  I got it .. and I get it.

I applauded getting rid of Watkins and Woods .. and letting Gillislee walk (to Boston).   The purge continues with Glenn - our oft-injured offensive lineman - and now rumors are swirling about Hughes - GOOD.

I love stockpiling draft picks, but you can't build a team solely on potential.  I believe they will draft well, and will be in good financial shape to be able to retain them long-term.

However, I feel like he's not doing enough in Free Agency.  Other teams are very active, putting crucial pieces in place (Denver, KC, SF).

I just wish Beane would be a tad more aggressive getting some veteran leadership in-house because we'll be a very young team.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

First of all, I'll preface by saying that I've been down with The Process from the beginning.  I got it .. and I get it.

I understood getting rid of Watkins and Woods .. and letting Gillislee walk (to Boston).   But the purge continues with Glenn - our best offensive lineman - and now rumors are swirling about Hughes.

I love stockpiling draft picks, but you can't build a team on potential.  And even if they draft well, in three years, we won't be able to afford anyone.

I feel like he's going rogue and even if we end up with the golden boy QB, we won't be able to surround him with anything but rookies.

I feel like you're "going troll" and should get a life, but maybe that's just me.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I understood getting rid of Watkins and Woods .. and letting Gillislee walk (to Boston).   But the purge continues with Glenn - our best offensive lineman - and now rumors are swirling about Hughes.

I love stockpiling draft picks, but you can't build a team on potential.  And even if they draft well, in three years, we won't be able to afford anyone.

I feel like he's going rogue and even if we end up with the golden boy QB, we won't be able to surround him with anything but rookies.

It's amazing how the pieces of an NFL team fall into place once you have a franchise QB.

Edited by Bag of Milk
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He has given up a below average QB and an oft-injured LT while adding the first pick of the 3rd round and moved up to #12 in the draft.  We have basically given away scraps for really great assets.

Talk to me when we actually give up something of value.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I feel like you're "going troll" and should get a life, but maybe that's just me.

Not trolling, man.  Like I said.  I have bought into Beane's process from the beginning.  His aggressiveness just concerns me.

• Like (+1) 1

I find it odd, that people who supported everything they did... Are now going to start questioning him? Why? How?

If anything, and I've been down on Beane and McDermott, and I wasn't one looking to chase Tyrod out of town... I'm excited, I like what they are doing....

I'm not sure what you want them to do?

Are you under the impression that they will use all of their top 6 picks, hit on them, and then not be able to afford them in 5 years? 

They have like 100 mil in cap room going into 2019 FA, and who do they have to resign? 

I'm still skeptical of some of their man management, but that's the nature of the football. You had no problem shipping out Watkins, probably called him injury prone and this and that, but now you're gonna balk at Glenn getting traded? When the line was better than the WR corps? Glenn barely played and Dion Dawkins filled in well. I don't get it. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Somebody gets it!!!! Right on,sir.

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

How so?

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Not trolling, man.  Like I said.  I have bought into Beane's process from the beginning.  His aggressiveness just concerns me.

I like it.

Dude seems like he did his hw, knows what it wants, and is willing to go down in a blaze of glory if it doesn't with out.

Kinda like Cleveland new GM.

Dude is going balls out, I like it.

I'm all for a GM and coach who are willing to go down with the ship if need be.

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

How so?

I like it.

Dude seems like he did his hw, knows what it wants, and is willing to go down in a blaze of glory if it doesn't with out.

Kinda like Cleveland new GM.

Dude is going balls out, I like it.

I'm all for a GM and coach who are willing to go down with the ship if need be.

So were you a Whaley fan?

Just now, Gugny said:

It's a viable concern. Like you said, a few years down the road it's going to be tough to fit everyone under the cap.

That said I feel like he's being aggressive in this instance, but once he gets his guy under center it's easy to slow down a bit. Getting a QB, as I'm sure you know is costly. It's going to cost you either a season of having a bad football team or will cost picks/players to get there.

It's fair to wonder about the future. I like to believe that in the grand scheme of things that Beane will get it right. Win now and win later is what he has preached...and demonstrated.

6 minutes ago, sven233 said:

He has given up a below average QB and an oft-injured LT while adding the first pick of the 3rd round and moved up to #12 in the draft.  We have basically given away scraps for really great assets.

Talk to me when we actually give up something of value.

I agree with you but he has to get some good talent in FA.

A DL and LB for Defense.

An OL on Offense.

Personally I will see what kind of roster he brings to camp.

We should all know by then.....................until then, get it Beane!

I fail to see how any of the moves so far don't give our rookie a solid starting foundation. Our WR corps is unchanged thus far and we hopefully make a change/addition there. Personally i'd love to see o'reilly get his day. Our OL is the only wildcard, but we aren't working with nothing there either.