Some team at the combine asked a player if he is gay

Some of you guys could use some class and a little grace towards life. I've done hundreds of these types of conversations over the years. In no way is it necessary to ask questions of this type when you are trying to get to know someone.

Do you smoke? ..Do you believe in birth control?... Are you into S&M?..Do you bang your sister?...Are you catholic?..Do you believe on gun control? It is never ending if there are NO limits and it is classless. Some people will use these questions to discriminate as well don't fool yourself.

All it takes is NOT crossing the line into someone else's private life especially when it doesn't hurt anyone!

3 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I hit submit too soon. All of those questions would get a company sued, and several people fired if asked on in interview.

Well if it was me being interviewed and those questions were asked to me, I’d say this is a great place to work because I have a sense of humor. But I guess the context matters as well...

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

It kind of outrages me that so many in here do not understand why the questions are asked lol 

And then people in here compare their interview experience with these NFL interviews, as if they are in any way, shape or form comparable lol 

NFL players are public figures. Most NFL players do not share most of our upbringings and back grounds. Most of these players do not come from stable families who had strong parents who taught them how to appropriately handle difficult situations. These questions are just another tool for scouts to determine what genetic make up and characters of men they might be handing millions of dollars to and/or making the face of their billion dollar franchise. 

"well in my interview experience..." lol, not...even...comparable! 

Ah right, so its pointless.

He got mad because I asked him if his mother was a hooker, without knowing anything about his family, or if his mom is still alive. That means he cant play football.

7 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Take a state police lie detector test for a job and you will see these questions are actually more on the sensitive side then what is asked at the conbine.

I believe that folks have been referencing the psychological portion of the exam, not the polygraph. Totally different. 

2 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

It kind of outrages me that so many in here do not understand why the questions are asked lol 

And then people in here compare their interview experience with these NFL interviews, as if they are in any way, shape or form comparable lol 

NFL players are public figures. Most NFL players do not share most of our upbringings and back grounds. Most of these players do not come from stable families who had strong parents who taught them how to appropriately handle difficult situations. These questions are just another tool for scouts to determine what genetic make up and characters of men they might be handing millions of dollars to and/or making the face of their billion dollar franchise. 

"well in my interview experience..." lol, not...even...comparable! 

What does saying “I heard that your mother is a hooker” tell you about their genetic makeup? If they say “yes” or “that’s not true” what did you learn?

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Do you not understand the concept of workplace discrimination? It's the main reason these kinds of questions aren't asked in job interviews.

I do. Very well. The problem with that idea is that you have to prove discrimination occurred. Since these teams are not "hiring from a pool" it's very hard to do so. 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So here we are discussing if they are even legal, not even if they are inappropriate!! That’s the point. If they are anywhere near that line it’s inappropriate. 

But here's the thing: It is either legal or illegal. 

If it's illegal then it is definitely wrong that it was asked. 

If it is legal, then it's a matter of taste/propriety/opinion. 

If I am a scout and my boss asks me about the guy I just interviewed and asks if there are any red flags, and I believe (for whatever reason) that there is a large secret in his personal life that could eventually affect how he performs for the team, etc. I am going to have to mention that. If my boss asks me if I asked him and I say I didn't, I haven't done my due diligence. That's the issue. 

I'm not arguing that it's right or wrong to ask, but I do see why a team could realistically want to ask. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What does saying “I heard that your mother is a hooker” tell you about their genetic makeup? If they say “yes” or “that’s not true” what did you learn?

It can tell you how they approach responses to questions, specifically inappropriate ones. As Marshawn Lynch made very clear, media availability is a required part of the job. As the owner, how do you want your player to react?

Truthfully, potentially without thinking?

Simply stating that you are unsure how it's relevant and leaving it at that?

Walking out completely?

Quick witted humor?

It may be unfortunate, but it is potentially relevant to some of their duties.

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

Ah right, so its pointless.

He got mad because I asked him if his mother was a hooker, without knowing anything about his family, or if his mom is still alive. That means he cant play football.

These players are fined if they don't face the media or sign autographs for fans. It's more than football. 

Remember that time Chan Gailey went off on the Bills fans heckling Trent Edwards at training camp? Imagine if Trent confronted the fans like most people on this board would do if someone called them every name in the book? 

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

if they say it's not true and you know for a fact that it is true, you just learned that they're a liar. 

And if they lied about that personal question they very well may lie about a question such as "do you hit girls" or, "do you smoke pot"

Just now, whatdrought said:

I do. Very well. The problem with that idea is that you have to prove discrimination occurred. Since these teams are not "hiring from a pool" it's very hard to do so. 

Actually what you have to 'prove' is a preponderance of the evidence, and questions like these go a long way to helping your case.

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I believe that folks have been referencing the psychological portion of the exam, not the polygraph. Totally different. 

The polygraph goes hand in hand with the psychological portion of interview process.  There is actually a psychologist present during the lie detector.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Actually what you have to 'prove' is a preponderance of the evidence, and questions like these go a long way to helping your case.

But only if you can prove that you were passed over. In a draft setting that would be very hard to do. 

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

if they say it's not true and you know for a fact that it is true, you just learned that they're a liar. 

And if they lied about that personal question they very well may lie about a question such as "do you hit girls" or, "do you smoke pot"

:lol::blink:

2 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

I haven’t read the comments but I know I’m not the only one who doesn’t see an issue with this.

Only issue would be if the questions were meant to discriminate against the player. People automatically believe that's why they were asked. 

Edited by TheTruthHurts