List of 2018 Pro Days

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Yikes. Two decent teams and a bunch of cupcakes. 

If you put someone like Cam Newton on Wyoming last year (the Allen supporters seem to like this comparison), Newton doesn't struggle against that schedule. 

Cam Newton played with zero NFL talent in the SEC and ran the table to a National Championship.

Allen was just a guy in the Mountain West. 

I suspect Newton would've looked like a varsity QB playing with and against junior varsity players.

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

I suspect Newton would've looked like a varsity QB playing with and against junior varsity players.

Yup.

If you're an elite NFL calibre QB, your supporting cast shouldn't matter a whole lot in college. 

You shouldn't have to make excuses for who a guy played with or who he played against. 

Cam Newton had zero supporting cast at Auburn, but because he was a transcendent talent, he still found a way to dominate. 

Edited by jrober38

"He has a lot of momentum building in the right direction. I don’t know where he goes but he’s going much higher than what his tape suggested he should go." -- @BuckyBrooks

And there in lies the problem......

Like I said, he could end up being good.  Maybe he will end up the best QB out of the class.  But I'm sorry.  I watch a ton of football and I much rather take the guy that performs in the games than the guy that performs well in shorts against air. 

Will Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield be better in the end?  I don't know.  But what I do know is that I want all 3 of them....and probably Jackson as well, over Allen.  Give me the the guys that actually put some greatness on tape in games action.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Like Matthew Stafford?

To be fair, Stafford played in the toughest football conference - the SEC - and his completion percentage, yards per attempt, and TDs increased every year. He threw for over 60% his final season. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
HIGHLIGHTS
Scouts and team execs got their exclusive look at Wyoming QB Josh Allen on Friday. See his best throws and highlights from Wyoming's 2018 pro day.

That was the lowest of lowlights I've ever seen.  Apparently not even the NFL wants him to succeed.

I'm not high or low on him but if that clip is of his actually highlights then the Bills better not draft him even if they think they can fix him in 3 years.

Edited by The Wiz

I just reread some reviews of Christian Hackenburg's pro day. 

Man oh man are they a lot like the ones being published today about Allen. 

• Improved footwork
  • Improved accuracy 
  • Huge arm strength 
  • Helped his draft stock

Then he got to the NFL and was a colossal bust because despite looking good in shorts his accuracy never actually got better on an NFL field against defenders. 

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

4th-6th is where I have him.

As do I. 

He has zero elite traits; a below average arm, no mobility, no experience in a pro system or under centre, no experience reading a defense. 

I don't see any upside whatsoever. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I haven’t watched this clip, but I like Falk as a 2nd - 3rd Round QB. 

Falk looks like Tom Brady when he throws. I think he's terrible but most people also thought Brady would be terrible. If NE drafts him he might end up being pretty decent. If we draft him he will be out of the league in 2 yrs because he needs soooo much work at this point

23 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Cam Newton had zero supporting cast at Auburn, but because he was a transcendent talent, he still found a way to dominate. 

This is a joke, right?  That Auburn team was loaded, especially on defense.

16 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I just reread some reviews of Christian Hackenburg's pro day. 

Man oh man are they a lot like the ones being published today about Allen. 

• Improved footwork
  • Improved accuracy 
  • Huge arm strength 
  • Helped his draft stock

Then he got to the NFL and was a colossal bust because despite looking good in shorts his accuracy never actually got better on an NFL field against defenders. 

I must have missed the games Hackenberg has played vs NFL defenders.  Who did he play against?

5 hours ago, mannc said:

This is a joke, right?  That Auburn team was loaded, especially on defense.

What's your definition of "loaded?"

DE - Nosa Uguae

DT - Nick Fairley 

DT - Zach Clayton

DE - Antoine Carter

LB - Craig Stevens

LB - Daren Bates 

LB - Josh Bynes

CB - Demond Washington

CB - Niko Thorp

FS - Zac Etheridge

SS - Airon Savage

The only real NFL player there is Fairley. Bynes bouced around as a backup. No one else who played significant snaps in 2010 sniffed the pros. 

Cam Newton carried that team on his back. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

What's your definition of "loaded?"

DE - Nosa Uguae

DT - Nick Fairley 

DT - Zach Clayton

DE - Antoine Carter

LB - Craig Stevens

LB - Daren Bates 

LB - Josh Bynes

CB - Demond Washington

CB - Niko Thorp

FS - Zac Etheridge

SS - Airon Savage

The only real NFL player there is Fairley. Bynes bouced around as a backup. No one else who played significant snaps in 2010 sniffed the pros. 

Cam Newton carried that team on his back. 

Newton had an absolutely incredible year, but that team was hardly devoid of talent.  I’ve never heard anyone argue otherwise.

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

Newton had an absolutely incredible year, but that team was hardly devoid of talent.  I’ve never heard anyone argue otherwise.

First they were "loaded." They clearly weren't.

Without Newton they're a .500 team and fighting to be Bowl Eligible. Newton carried that team. 

Josh Allen was just a guy in the Mountain West against garbage competition. 

Edited by jrober38

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Without Newton they're a .500 team and fighting to be Bowl Eligible. Newton carried that team. 

Josh Allen was just a guy on a garbage team in the Mountain West against garbage competition. 

FIFY

10 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Josh Allen was just a guy in the Mountain West against garbage competition. 

When did I ever compare Allen to Newton?  Newton’s 2010 season was one of the 2 or 3 best in the history of college football and he was the shoe-in first overall pick.  Allen is much more of an unknown quantity.

12 hours ago, mannc said:

When did I ever compare Allen to Newton?  Newton’s 2010 season was one of the 2 or 3 best in the history of college football and he was the shoe-in first overall pick.  Allen is much more of an unknown quantity.

I heard Mike Mayock and the rest of NFL Network's panel compare him to Newton a couple times during his pro day. 

I think all of the positive Allen comparisons are a reach at best. Nothing on tape suggests he's very good at football. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

I heard Mike Mayock and the rest of NFL Network's panel compare him to Newton a couple times during his pro day. 

I think all of the positive Allen comparisons are a reach at best. Nothing on tape suggests he's very good at football. 

He’s definitely a gamble and a project.  But some team will want to take that chance on a huge upside.  I think he drops a bit but still goes top 10.

29 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Nothing on tape suggests he's very good at football. 

Except for all of the exceptional plays he's made that nobody else seems to be able to make

Meaning no offense: you seem to have this tendency to ignore anything that runs counter to your established position on Allen and state absolutes about him, which is really weird.

For example, he's put a great number of outstanding throws on tape that show just how good he can be, but you go on to state that "nothing" shows him to be a good football player. That's hyperbole at best.

I also see that you continue to state that QBs don't improve their accuracy in the NFL, which is patently false--and you've been given many examples including Stafford, Matt Ryan, Josh McCown, Carson Palmer Drew Brees, etc.

You've got your opinions about the kid and that's fine. Justifiable even. Let's all have a bit of intellectual honesty and acknowledge that it's hardly a position that is supported by all of the relevant data.

33 minutes ago, mannc said:

He’s definitely a gamble and a project.  But some team will want to take that chance on a huge upside.  I think he drops a bit but still goes top 10.

He'll likely be one of the first 2 QBs off the board--probably top-3

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to List of 2018 Pro Days - Lamar Jackson on 3/29 Live on NFL Network at 11 AM ET
2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Except for all of the exceptional plays he's made that nobody else seems to be able to make

Meaning no offense: you seem to have this tendency to ignore anything that runs counter to your established position on Allen and state absolutes about him, which is really weird.

For example, he's put a great number of outstanding throws on tape that show just how good he can be, but you go on to state that "nothing" shows him to be a good football player. That's hyperbole at best.

I also see that you continue to state that QBs don't improve their accuracy in the NFL, which is patently false--and you've been given many examples including Stafford, Matt Ryan, Josh McCown, Carson Palmer Drew Brees, etc.

You've got your opinions about the kid and that's fine. Justifiable even. Let's all have a bit of intellectual honesty and acknowledge that it's hardly a position that is supported by all of the relevant data.

He'll likely be one of the first 2 QBs off the board--probably top-3

Did you really just sneak Josh McCown’s name in with Stanford, Brees, Ryan and Palmer? ?

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Did you really just sneak Josh McCown’s name in with Stanford, Brees, Ryan and Palmer? ?

Did you read the post and understand the point?

A 51% passer in college, McCown completed 67% of his passes last season 

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Being a Vandy alum, I've watch Herndon the last few years in person.  He has been a mixed bag.  Some games he's been great, others he well, not horrible but mehh.  I wouldn't mind him on the Bills at all.  HE's played a lot of football the last few years, has long arms and could excel in a scheme like ours.

Just now, NewEraBills said:

Being a Vandy alum, I've watch Herndon the last few years in person.  He has been a mixed bag.  Some games he's been great, others he well, not horrible but mehh.  I wouldn't mind him on the Bills at all.  HE's played a lot of football the last few years, has long arms and could excel in a scheme like ours.

Thanks for the insight.

3 hours ago, jrober38 said:

So because someone mentions one person in comparison to another and you think that means they're saying they are the same player? The positive comparisons don't work for you, but, I'll bet any negative comparisons are spot in in your mind. 

There's one truth to all this draft BS. It's a crap shoot. Teams have different opinions, some right some wrong. I always find it interesting when jags profess to know more and offer their opinions as facts.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Thanks for the insight.

The thing to like about Herndon is his size.  A little over 6'0 and he does have decent speed.  The guy that is going to really be a good one though is JoeJuan Williams.  Mason has recruited a lot of corners with size and long arms.  Herndon was a Franklin recruit I believe, but since then most of the corners that Mason recruited have been at least 6'0 plus.  Williams is 6'3 and unless someone just runs past him, it's tough to complete a pass on him because of his wing span.

I'd take Herndon in round 3 or 4.  Would be a very solid pick for us even with some of his flaws.  I'd say based on my eye, his biggest issue wasn't sticking with WRs.  His biggest issue was getting his head turned to defend the football at times.  He has not been a big interception guy.

1 minute ago, NewEraBills said:

The thing to like about Herndon is his size.  A little over 6'0 and he does have decent speed.  The guy that is going to really be a good one though is JoeJuan Williams.  Mason has recruited a lot of corners with size and long arms.  Herndon was a Franklin recruit I believe, but since then most of the corners that Mason recruited have been at least 6'0 plus.  Williams is 6'3 and unless someone just runs past him, it's tough to complete a pass on him because of his wing span.

I'd take Herndon in round 3 or 4.  Would be a very solid pick for us even with some of his flaws.  I'd say based on my eye, his biggest issue wasn't sticking with WRs.  His biggest issue was getting his head turned to defend the football at times.  He has not been a big interception guy.

Thanks again.