Browns and 49ers have 236 and 233 million in cap space

Mango

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think that's before deducting the amount that they currently have paid out in contracts/restrictions. So really the adjusted number of actual cap "available" is significantly lower. I think... I could definitely be wrong. 

that is their total cap, not cap space. 177 million plus whatever rolls over from this year. Never knew you could roll that much over.

the title is misleading. Cap space should change to total cap.

6 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I think that's before deducting the amount that they currently have paid out in contracts/restrictions. So really the adjusted number of actual cap "available" is significantly lower. I think... I could definitely be wrong. 

Yes, it has to be, as they’re all higher than the league cap amount.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

Browns have $108 million in cap space for 2018. 

The 49ers had more at $110 million but now they're down to $67 million with the Garoppolo contract. 

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

We are ninth in total cap space, if I counted correctly.

seems like we should be better than middle of the cap in overall cap space, but I get it with our dead cap space.

According to spotrac we are 16th in total cap space as of right now. 

We have a ton of dead cap this year.

As of right now, the Bills will have the 5th most cap space next season (2019) with

$97 million. 

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

11 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I guess moral of the story is suck and unload as many contracts as possible. Get the 1st pick and have a huge roll over and voila your a contender. Then theres the Browns.....

Never. Jacksonville kind of did this, but it takes a long time. Luck plays a huge role also. 

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The 49ers had more at $110 million but now they're down to $67 million with the Garoppolo contract. 

As of right now, the Bills will have the 5th most cap space next season (2019) with

$97 million. 

Browns will have a hard time spending that money. 

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

$97 million. 

Indeed, and I am looking forward to it.  However, we'll also have new holes to fill, like Incognito, Benjamin and I believe Alexander and Groy, just to name a few.   

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

2 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I guess moral of the story is suck and unload as many contracts as possible. Get the 1st pick and have a huge roll over and voila your a contender. Then theres the Browns.....

Seattle was the youngest team in the NFL when they won the SB 4 seasons ago....dominant and pretty loaded......in the 1980's being that young and that good would have meant they'd be a force for the next 7-8 years.

But 2-3 years later their roster was increasingly average and now 4 years after that SB win they are a wildcard team with a fairly weak roster carried by a franchise QB.

In general 21st century history shows it's better to stay competitive and aggressively search for your QB than to try to stack blue chip talents that the salary cap won't allow you to keep.    

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Indeed, and I am looking forward to it.  However, we'll also have new holes to fill, like Incognito, Benjamin and I believe Alexander and Groy, just to name a few.   

You are expecting the Bills to just let Benjamin walk? :blink:

Edited by Mark Vader

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

$97 million. 

...wouldn't surprise me one bit if McBeane doesn't ALREADY have that number on his radar as well as preliminary sketches as to what the overall 2019 draftees may look like.....guy just gives me the impression of a long term planner which is a good thing IMO.....think about 2018 FA/Draft as well as 2019 FA/Draft......back to back home runs would be pinnacle...BUT....I'd sure as hell take back to back three baggers which could set this club up as a perennial contender long term.....the oldtimer is running outta time for that Lombardi......and Hell's Kitchen doesn't have heat resistant LCD's...........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Yes, it has to be, as they’re all higher than the league cap amount.

I knew the number seemed too high for the League´s CAP to begin with,  I knew I could be behind in news, but that seemed an astronomical jump from what I recall...

46 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Seattle was the youngest team in the NFL when they won the SB 4 seasons ago....dominant and pretty loaded......in the 1980's being that young and that good would have meant they'd be a force for the next 7-8 years.

But 2-3 years later their roster was increasingly average and now 4 years after that SB win they are a wildcard team with a fairly weak roster carried by a franchise QB.

In general 21st century history shows it's better to stay competitive and aggressively search for your QB than to try to stack blue chip talents that the salary cap won't allow you to keep.    

Agree with this a great amount. I would say though Seattle's core was thanks to McCloughan more then Schnieder. Wilson, Sherman, & Kam were all his guys and the main cogs of the machine. At this point the Hawks would be smart to do what the Pats did after their D declined from their SB teams in the early 2000s and build the heck around Wilson. Make that offense strong again at the line and they will be alright.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep.  The Superbowl was just won by a team that have their QB cheap and so are able to load up on other positions for a few years which was the Seattle mode.  The Ravens won the Superbowl in their last year of Flacco's 'cheap' rookie contract (even though that was under the old CBA) and have been trying to find a balance that works ever since.  If you find a Quarterback who can win by his 2nd year you have a window now in the NFL where you can really load up.  The Rams have loaded up around Goff the same way. 

The key to trying to sustain the success is weaning yourself off the right support at the right time.  Seattle's mistake was allowing the OL to take too much of the hit to try and keep all their stars on D.  I reckon if they had sacrificed one of those big name big salary defenders - Avril, Bennet, Wagner, Chancellor, Sherman, Thomas to bring in a proper offensive tackle in free agency they might have won another Superbowl.  Of course not making that stupid Unger for Graham trade would have helped too.  

2 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Am I reading this wrong? It says the cap is 177m and it has us listed at 188m. How do I read this?

The picture shows total cap not cap space. So that is $177m plus $11m rolled over from the 2017 cap that was unused which gives you the $188. The reason Cleveland and San Fran seem to have more than $100m more than the salary cap is that they basically just met the floor for cap spend in 2017 and Cleveland only did that by allowing the Texans to salary dump Osweiler's contract on their books - so they both have a huge amount to roll over.  

• Like (+1) 1