Why is Baker Mayfield getting the least amount of buzz?

4 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I don't know about you guys, but when I think of a high character Beane/McDermott guy, I think Baker Mayfield.

Lol. I do think that Mayfield has good character and qualities, but he's a bit immature in some ways. It's an issue, but he's not exactly punching girls in the face or anything. He has a competitive fire that is undeniable. I like the guy and would take him on the Bills. I don't think they've DQ'd him at all. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lol. I do think that Mayfield has good character and qualities, but he's a bit immature in some ways. It's an issue, but he's not exactly punching girls in the face or anything. He has a competitive fire that is undeniable. I like the guy and would take him on the Bills. I don't think they've DQ'd him at all. 

It would cost less in a trade up to get him.

I thought he was going to take charge and be a leader at the combine like he did at the senior bowl. He was pretty quiet. Not sure if that was intentional or not. Their plan might have been to fly under the radar and let your arm do the talking. I think it was a bad move because nobody's arm is going to compare to Josh Allen's so what does Mayfield have that Allen doesn't? That's what he should have showed at the combine

I have been a critic of Mayfield. I don't like him as a QB. Not that I wish him a bad career. Hopefully for him, I'm wrong (unless he plays for the Pats, Fins, or Jets).

But what I see is a great college QB that won't translate well to the NFL. My opinion of him went up a little at first when I saw his interview with Mariucci. He seems to have football smarts. But watching him at the podium in front of the press dropped my opinion of him again.

Yes, he's a fighter and a competitor. But he also came off as a bit of a douche. Maybe it's just my impression, but when he told reporters that he lifted up the play of the whole team...eh. That's one of those things that you let others say about you. Not something that you say yourself. That isn't the only reason I don't want to draft him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I thought he was going to take charge and be a leader at the combine like he did at the senior bowl. He was pretty quiet. Not sure if that was intentional or not. Their plan might have been to fly under the radar and let your arm do the talking. I think it was a bad move because nobody's arm is going to compare to Josh Allen's so what does Mayfield have that Allen doesn't? That's what he should have showed at the combine

There was actually more of that even

Lamar Jackson could have had everybody buzzing about his athletism  but chose to only throw

A gutsy call in my opinion

• Like (+1) 1

I remember the 2012 draft and wanting Russell Wilson in the 1st rd. He only dropped because of his height, if you watched him play you knew he was going to be a good QB. I remember being at a Mustangs game watching Jimmy G and just being blown away. Derek Carr is another QB that I wanted in the 1st rd, I would say that all 3 of the QB's that I mentioned are better than any of the QB's in this draft. I would say there is a very good chance Mayfield, Allen and Rudolph could be there when we pick at 21.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have 3 words 

off field issues    -  he even resembles JFF 

mayfield-baker-41217-usnews-getty-ftr

Mayfield was arrested in February on charges of charges of public intoxication, disorderly conduct and fleeing and resisting arrest

Can you imagine what the stories would have been like about the early 90's Bills players had social media been around back then? College kids do dumb sh*t all the time, especially when alcohol is involved. Hell, I did a bunch of dumb sh*t without alcohol involved or a college campus for that matter. He'll be fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Can you imagine what the stories would have been like about the early 90's Bills players had social media been around back then? College kids do dumb sh*t all the time, especially when alcohol is involved. Hell, I did a bunch of dumb sh*t without alcohol involved or a college campus for that matter. He'll be fine. 

Doing dumbshit and getting arrested are somewhat different.    

I did a lot of things in the 70', 80's and 90's and never got arrested.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Doing dumbshit and getting arrested are somewhat different.    

I did a lot of things in the 70', 80's and 90's and never got arrested.  

Kudos to you my friend. I did dumb sh*t and got arrested, but nothing as serious as it could have been at certain points. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

There were a lot of stories floating around in those days even without social media!

They moved through traditional word of mouth/eyewitness channels.

Bruce Smith, for example, was a real punk very early on in his career.  He really matured/developed over his time  with the Bills, though, and seeing him now is like seeing a different person entirely.

Anyway, the Superbowl Bills teams were running around, having fun, and getting into trouble constantly! 

19 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I have 3 words 

off field issues    -  he even resembles JFF 

Mayfield was arrested in February on charges of charges of public intoxication, disorderly conduct and fleeing and resisting arrest

That was last year.. Feburary 2017. Disorderly conduct,  public intoxication. That was every single Friday and Saturday night for me when I was his age.

if the cops came you bet we ran.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, H2o said:

Mayfield knows what era he lives in so the comparison to the 80s and 90s is pointless.  Small not overly athletic with off the field concerns is why I would not draft him in rd 1.  

21 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I remember the 2012 draft and wanting Russell Wilson in the 1st rd. He only dropped because of his height, if you watched him play you knew he was going to be a good QB. I remember being at a Mustangs game watching Jimmy G and just being blown away. Derek Carr is another QB that I wanted in the 1st rd, I would say that all 3 of the QB's that I mentioned are better than any of the QB's in this draft. I would say there is a very good chance Mayfield, Allen and Rudolph could be there when we pick at 21.

Rudolph I see but I don't think there is any chance that Allen and Mayfield are there.  

39 minutes ago, kickedface said:

yeah i would really like if he drops to the 21 or 22 pick.  now i don't know about his mechanics and all that, but he's super competitive which i like. reminds me as far as that fire is concerned of a young jimbo, even the character concerns. don't blow me up because i made the comparison. 

No i see kelly in him too in that regard and have been saying the same thing. Favre too, even though hes not as naturally talented as those guys. But people are going to rally around baker

Not being a big college football fan, I am just getting to know these QBs.

To me so far, they all got warts.  I don't see any "sure thing" QB's.

History could show all of the Big 4 being great to not so good except Allen whose talent is boom or bust.

What I see so far on Mayfield is pretty good QB play.  His height is an issue, the question would be is he able to play around that.

The "off field" stuff is nothing too bad but would definitely need to be addressed in depth during the interviews by Beane.

Mayfield's "warts" are not a deal breaker from where I sit.

Question is, how much "treasure" would you be willing to use to go get him?

I don't have the answer to that, or for any of the others, truth be told.

I just get the feeling that Cousins will sign with the Vikings...Darnold, Rosen and Allen are gone by pick #6...leaving the Jets making a big splash and picking Mayfield. They need a QB, they want attention, they want to stick it to whoever the Giants picked as their QB over Mayfield.

Not looking good for the Bills drafting their starting QB, so that may be why we're hearing some Foles trade rumors. Not necessarily a bad thing btw given how chaotic the QB evaluations and rankings have been.

Edited by 1billsfan