Why is Baker Mayfield getting the least amount of buzz?

4 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

You are wrong.  This is the first time on this board or in any media really where I have seen someone mention Mayfield's height.

BRB, gonna go start a new thread about how I agree with this. 

His height is only a factor if it is a factor.

I.E., if he can get the job done, it doesn't matter how short he is.

By the same token, he can be 6'6" and if he still can't get the job done, his height doesn't matter then either.

Look at these stats his last two years, particularly completion percentage. Proves the accuracy, right? And it should only drop a few % points in pros, right?

QB 13 295 434 68.0 3706 8.5 8.8 26 9 155.3l
QB 13 300 429 69.9 4114 9.6 10.0 37 13 172.9

Wrong...that’s Johnny Maziel’s stats. And he’s slightly taller than Mayfield. Drew Brees and maybe Russel Wilson have been the exceptions. Massive OL to see over, and massive DL’s equals a lot of batted passes; failing that, errant throws since they have to adjust the ball higher above the defender at the line. 

Im not sold on Mayfield, and I think we’re bluffing for Allen. Looks at the last drafts visits and who we actually grabbed.

Edited by Aaronthebaron

One more thing, how many times were we frustrated with Tyrod because he couldn’t hit the middle; and why? Without clear throwing windows, he had to move, or attempt to hit where a receiver should be. 

We have one of the most DYNAMIC pass catchers one on one in Benjamin. We need one of the guys that lays it up at the last minute, which Allen continually did with ease, and usually off his back foot or across his body. 

Im no guru, but if scouts say Allen can develop, get him higher and give it a go. Odds are significantly improved for q.b. success rate when they’re voted top 2. 

Edited by Aaronthebaron

4 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No one has been able to list a single QB that didn't make it because of their height. It's a ridiculous reason to dismiss someone. Anything above 6' is fine in the NFL.

Try to find a QB that's 6'7" or higher that was worth a !@#$ in this league. There have never been any, not a one.

On NFL Network, Maurice Jones Drew was just talking about how Mayfield takes very deep drops as a result of his height so he could see. I mentioned this in a post earlier in this thread, but it is something people seem to ignore. 

Those deep drops will not work in the NFL. This puts a tremendous amount of stress on your offensive tackles as defensive ends in the NFL are indcredibly fast and can easily bend around tackles. This isn't madden where you can just run backwards for twenty years to avoid the rush. Mayfield is going to have to stand tall in the pocket, step up, and make throws with guys in his face. I don't see a ton of that in his film. That is where having less than ideal height doesn't work for most guys. Brees finds a way and Wilson is incredibly athletic. I see a lot of very deep drops and running around to buy time from Mayfield and I don't think will work when guys are super fast in the NFL. 

I don't hate him the way I hate Rudolph, but my fear is that Mayfield's abilities simply don't translate to the NFL. I see him as a Colt McCoy type of guy who can be a serviceable backup and can win some games if you need him to. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

34 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

On NFL Network, Maurice Jones Drew was just talking about how Mayfield takes very deep drops as a result of his height so he could see. I mentioned this in a post earlier in this thread, but it is something people seem to ignore. 

Those deep drops will not work in the NFL. This puts a tremendous amount of stress on your offensive tackles as defensive ends in the NFL are indcredibly fast and can easily bend around tackles. This isn't madden where you can just run backwards for twenty years to avoid the rush. Mayfield is going to have to stand tall in the pocket, step up, and make throws with guys in his face. I don't see a ton of that in his film. That is where having less than ideal height doesn't work for most guys. Brees finds a way and Wilson is incredibly athletic. I see a lot of very deep drops and running around to buy time from Mayfield and I don't think will work when guys are super fast in the NFL. 

I don't hate him the way I hate Rudolph, but my fear is that Mayfield's abilities simply don't translate to the NFL. I see him as a Colt McCoy type of guy who can be a serviceable backup and can win some games if you need him to. 

I’ve seen similar things. When the throw is to be over the middle he takes deeper drops, his rhythm  throws are outside. 

I dont think anyone knows how or if he can play in a pro offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

So a sixth round talent and a guy from the 1980's. I will note that Tyrod is the second most successful 6th round QB of the last 20 years. And Doug did alright for an 11th round pick 

Alright then. 

Name all these great short guys under 6-1

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Just a few QB's I will name to show 6'1 is not to small

Drew Brees  6'

Russell Wilson 5'10

Aaron Rogers 6'2

Dak Prescott 6'2

Baker Mayfield 6'1

Think we are being over critical over an inch or 2? Is it now how there motion is in the pocket and there foresight knowing where the player is going to be and where the ball has to be more important?

just a wondering question.

IMG_20180330_203240.jpg

7 hours ago, Joaquin1119 said:

Doug is short and we love him when he play for the bills.. so yeah, I take Baker 

DF2265DD-EC66-40D9-8B6E-556014E09A2B.jpeg

? ? 

55 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Shotgun’s so prevalent these days anyway, until it swings the other way QB height shouldn’t be a disqualified. 

Tell that to the bills offense last season 

18 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Just a few QB's I will name to show 6'1 is not to small

Drew Brees  6'

Russell Wilson 5'10

Aaron Rogers 6'2

Dak Prescott 6'2

Baker Mayfield 6'1

Think we are being over critical over an inch or 2? Is it now how there motion is in the pocket and there foresight knowing where the player is going to be and where the ball has to be more important?

just a wondering question.

Technically Mayfield is 6 ft and 5/8 tall yet if want to play devil's advocate to the QBs you listed, Tyrod Taylor 6'1.

14 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

I think he played well for an 11th round pick.

Yet he had 13 years to develop to what we saw in 1998 and then regress to in 1999. Sorry Flutie was nothing more than a game manager his last season here. 

Edited by The Jokeman