Billy Price tore his pec at combine; out 4 months following surgery

8 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

By all means let’s draft another injured player. Worked well last time 

You mean Thurman Thomas?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If they get a good bargain and he misses a year but then is a very good player, I'd love it, myself. The problem is often when you go in unawares, which is what happened last year. The full injury happened after the draft. 

I can see people saying they don't want him. I'd still like him if he's a bargain and looks likely to recover well.

Bad for him. But good for us. As long as he heals he is the future. We have Groy, who I would be comfortable starting the season with at C. Working him in slowly as the future at center, or even right guard. A 2nd round or lower would be a great value pick for us at a need position. A trade down for extra picks with our 22 sounds even better. Please, please Beane, don't go wasting picks with a major trade up gamble for a QB. Pick where we stand.

8 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sadly I think he will drop with the 6 month recovery time... will miss all of OTAs and TC and probably start out on PUP. 

Groy will handle 18, and Price can step in 19

45 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

By all means let’s draft another injured player. Worked well last time 

Yes, I'm sure the Pats would agree 100%, Gronk was a wasted pick by them for sure after he was injured before the draft. The draft is a gamble, it is never a sure thing.

1 minute ago, simpleman said:

Yes, I'm sure the Pats would agree 100%, Gronk was a wasted pick by them for sure after he was injured before the draft. The draft is a gamble, it is never a sure thing.

For every gronk there’s 20 Shaq Lawsons

@kdiggz

@matter2003

diggz, in just a few posts your personal insight on this was really well written, to the point, and much appreciated.  Thank you.

matter, I hear you and I used to love doing decline bench, but lately I've seen some lifters and read some articles weary of the positioning and the stress of the bar throwing your should Sr higher up in the socket.

In no way would I qualify myself as a lifter and given my advancing age (later 40s) and my previously diagnosed shoulder condition ( father and brother had shoulder surgery and I was told 20 years ago I'd need surgery in about 10 years) I try to be extremely careful when I lift.

Personally, and I am not saying this for everyone but it has worked for me, I do a number of shoulder strengthening exercises on lighter weights doing inner and outer rotations. I make sure that I properly balance my workouts between my chest and back muscles as overdoing the chest pulls and rolls your shoulder forward creating a greater chance of impingement (one of my big problems through the years).  When I bench I make sure my back is arched and my shoulder blades arand punching in, opening up and properly positioning the shoulder joint.  I make sure my arms angled 30-40 degrees from the line of the straight bar.  I also do reasonable weight and I don't go too deep when I drop the bar to my chest, sometimes even doing dumbbell presses on the floor.

As an alternative I sometimes do pushes ups, using proper form, but also angling the push-up against a bench or something higher to work the lower chest in the manner you would in a decline bench. Furthermore, I do landmines with a bar in the corner to work my shoulder and upper chest, replacing an incline bench.

No surgery yet and I just plain feel better. Again, it may just be right for me.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

You mean Thurman Thomas?

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If they get a good bargain and he misses a year but then is a very good player, I'd love it, myself. The problem is often when you go in unawares, which is what happened last year. The full injury happened after the draft. 

I can see people saying they don't want him. I'd still like him if he's a bargain and looks likely to recover well.

People love to use Thurman as an example of "successfully drafting an injured player", but Thurman rushed for 1600 yds on that torn ACL his single year.  It was a calculated risk, and in a joint that can be braced and taped to prevent further injury.

In the case of Shaq, it was known he had a shoulder problem that would require surgery and shut him down, and the Bills (needing immediate help at his position) drafted him anyway.  It wasn't a surprise that a further injury happened and I could be wrong but I don't think a shoulder can be braced the same way and still be functional for the football moves he had to be able to make.  Same thing with Listenbee.

Thurman was also a special, game changing player, a talent perhaps worth rolling the dice. 

There were other good LB, and there are other good OL.

6 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

This staff wants availability. He doesn’t bring availability right now. Until medics is now he’s not on our board

I have to disagree with this. They want a guy who is available as part of his DNA, which is exactly who he is. He fits McD player profile to a T. He has a short term injury now and no injury history prior. He started 55 straight games on the interior OL. He’s the definition of “availability.” He might not be ready for the start of he season but a) tbh that’s the only way the Bills may even have a chance to take him anyway because their startin interior OL is in place b) they don’t really “need” him to start the season. I would look for him to eventually be a 8-10 year fixture at RG replacing Ducasse or LG replacing Richie. He could be ready by September or October at the latest. Don’t even know how bad the tear is. 

He’s a super intelligent, high-character, team captain who won the Rimington Award. He would be a steal in the late 2nd or 3rd.

Edited by YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

People love to use Thurman as an example of "successfully drafting an injured player", but Thurman rushed for 1600 yds on that torn ACL his single year.  It was a calculated risk, and in a joint that can be braced and taped to prevent further injury.

In the case of Shaq, it was known he had a shoulder problem that would require surgery and shut him down, and the Bills (needing immediate help at his position) drafted him anyway.  It wasn't a surprise that a further injury happened and I could be wrong but I don't think a shoulder can be braced the same way and still be functional for the football moves he had to be able to make.  Same thing with Listenbee.

Thurman was also a special, game changing player, a talent perhaps worth rolling the dice. 

There were other good LB, and there are other good OL.

I'm not supporting the move to pick Shaq. If anything, I have been critical. Rex's seat was warming and that made it maybe less of a smart move, especially with their first round pick. They needed their first rounder to be healthy that year. This year, less urgency, though there's always some. And I don't think many are arguing to pick up the post-injury Price in the first.

But the reason Thurman is used as an example of successfully drafting an injured player is simply that that is what he was. An excellent example. 

You're right, it was a calculated risk with Thurman and I'm sure with Shaq and Listenbee and others. You can bet they consider it seriously. Considered risks are what most successful risks turn out to be. Some turn out well and some don't. You can argue that McGahee, for instance, was a success. I wouldn't, personally, but plenty have done so. I wish they'd just gone with Travis Henry and drafted another position. But it's very arguable McGahee was a success, though personally he's one of the two or three ex-Bills I really dislike.

I'd like them to calculate and consider whether it would be worth it to get him if he falls enough to become a bargain.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

@kdiggz

@matter2003

diggz, in just a few posts your personal insight on this was really well written, to the point, and much appreciated.  Thank you.

matter, I hear you and I used to love doing decline bench, but lately I've seen some lifters and read some articles weary of the positioning and the stress of the bar throwing your should Sr higher up in the socket.

In no way would I qualify myself as a lifter and given my advancing age (later 40s) and my previously diagnosed shoulder condition ( father and brother had shoulder surgery and I was told 20 years ago I'd need surgery in about 10 years) I try to be extremely careful when I lift.

Personally, and I am not saying this for everyone but it has worked for me, I do a number of shoulder strengthening exercises on lighter weights doing inner and outer rotations. I make sure that I properly balance my workouts between my chest and back muscles as overdoing the chest pulls and rolls your shoulder forward creating a greater chance of impingement (one of my big problems through the years).  When I bench I make sure my back is arched and my shoulder blades arand punching in, opening up and properly positioning the shoulder joint.  I make sure my arms angled 30-40 degrees from the line of the straight bar.  I also do reasonable weight and I don't go too deep when I drop the bar to my chest, sometimes even doing dumbbell presses on the floor.

As an alternative I sometimes do pushes ups, using proper form, but also angling the push-up against a bench or something higher to work the lower chest in the manner you would in a decline bench. Furthermore, I do landmines with a bar in the corner to work my shoulder and upper chest, replacing an incline bench.

No surgery yet and I just plain feel better. Again, it may just be right for me.

My trainer has me doing some sort of shoulder rehab almost every workout...whether its dynamic blackburns, numerous band maneuvers, or a series of light weight Y/W type movements on a bench using a 5 or 10 lb weight...

Its helped out quite a bit...

The exercise I can tolerate best of all for heavy weights is weighed dips...since you are using your body weight as the starting weight, any additional weight is on top of that...at one point I got up to doing sets with 3 plates on a belt plus a 55 lb weighted vest...that was a few years ago...life has gotten in the way of training like that for the past year and half but I can still put up 300+ lbs on the decline at 43...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

@dollars 2 donuts

Thanks, just passing along some life experience because I hate seeing kids get hurt like this. Its completely unnecessary. There's  other exercises to get big and strong and test strength that are much safer. If that other guy doesn't want to hear it that's fine but the fact is people are getting hurt and this is just another example. This rookie just lost millions and it's absolutely ridiculous and unfair to him to use such archaic testing procedures and put these kids at risk, especially so close to finally being able to cash in on all of their hard work. Change is needed.

• Like (+1) 1