Billy Price tore his pec at combine; out 4 months following surgery

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that he falls too but I’m not sure about PUP. He should be recovered by late preseason. Price is so ready to play. If he’s healthy he can head right out there. I didn’t think that he was an option for the Bills but now think that he could be at 53 or 56. 

I was thinking that it sucks for Price, but might be great for Bills.  Sign me up Billy at 56 or later

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow, really tough break for the kid. In addition to the injury and possible surgery/rehab that just cost him a good chunk of change. 

Hope he can recover. And yes, if he is able to recover and is sitting there are 53 that's a no brainer pick as long as medically he checks out with a good prognosis.

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

As some of you may know I had the same injury last year. Barbell flat bench is a dirty tramp. Stay away. If you workout, do dumbbell incline and fly's instead. They need to stop making guys do flat bench at the combine. It's an injury waiting to happen. There's other things you can do to test strength like pushing the sled. Maybe hook up some sensors and bring the combine into the 21st century. The only thing flat bench for reps tests is how often you focus on flat bench for reps in the weight room.

So what's the recovery/regain of strength like?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He played Guard for 3 years before moving to C

Not really true Yolo. At Wisconsin he played left guard, left tackle, center and even a little fullback. At Middleton High School he played all over the line for 4 years.  He has had success starting at all of the offensive line positions.

25 minutes ago, simool said:

Not really true Yolo. At Wisconsin he played left guard, left tackle, center and even a little fullback. At Middleton High School he played all over the line for 4 years.  He has had success starting at all of the offensive line positions.

I was referring to Price, not Groy. He will be drafted to play OG or C, not just C.

Edited by YoloinOhio

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I hate to be a grinch, but I would really like the Bills to stop drafting players they can't get full benefit from for a year if at all (Kujo, Shaq Lawson, Listenbee etc)

Agreed. This bites for Price but he is now a luxury pick. Surely there must be other interior OL talent available who could play this season.

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So what's the recovery/regain of strength like?

It depends on how severe. It can vary. If it's just a slight tear he could let it rest for 2-3 months then do rehab on it to try to build strength around the supporting muscles (shoulders, back) but he will never be 100% on that particular muscle and it's hard to say how much he can recover. But you can use other muscles to help push so it's not a total loss. Having surgery there is a higher likelihood of recovery and I'm sure he will have the best doctors to advise him. If they do the surgery and anchor it with bolts that's 6 months and it's kind of hard to work out and stay in shape when you only have 1 arm so that would really hurt his chances of starting as a rookie. I don't play sports for a living so it's hard to say how much of an impact it will have on his career but as a civilian I just avoid things that would aggravate it. #1 on the list is no more barbell bench pressing!

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Damn that's crazy with relatively light weight for a guy that size...

Guess he should have warmed up better.

Flat barbell IS a problem for many people.  This is not even really disputed amongst people in the industry.  It puts your shoulder in a relatively unnatural position. Some people are OK with it, many people are not. Decline is a much safer lift relative to how the body actually wants to move.

Sure, some people have good reasons for not using the flat bench. I don't know if decline should be considered "safer" since that has issues too. There have been instances with people passing out from blood rushing to their head. 

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

First off that's pretty rude. I had a pretty bad injury and your response is I don't know what I'm talking about? I've lived it, i know far too much. I have the scar to prove it.

Secondly what do you bench on barbell flat bench? When you get over 400 let me know and then let me know how many times you tear your pec after that trying for more. It's not a safe exercise. Your natural motion isn't to be locked on to a straight bar like that. Dumbbell incline is better for pec development. The only people that focus on flat barbell bench are powerlifters, gym bros, and apparently NFL rookies.

I don't think it's wise to give lifting advice from one subjective experience. I think you gave bad advice. Maybe you went too heavy? Maybe you had piss poor form? Maybe you didn't warm up properly? But whatever, this isn't a lifting forum so I doubt people are looking for advice in this thread. 

Also, everyone is different (needless to say).

But Ill never get to 400 lbs on benching. Lol, unless, maybe, I take roids. I can deadlift that easy though. 

Go Bills!

8 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Sure, some people have good reasons for not using the flat bench. I don't know if decline should be considered "safer" since that has issues too. There have been instances with people passing out from blood rushing to their head. 

I don't think it's wise to give lifting advice from one subjective experience. I think you gave bad advice. Maybe you went too heavy? Maybe you had piss poor form? Maybe you didn't warm up properly? But whatever, this isn't a lifting forum so I doubt people are looking for advice in this thread. 

Also, everyone is different (needless to say).

But Ill never get to 400 lbs on benching. Lol, unless, maybe, I take roids. I can deadlift that easy though. 

Go Bills!

He meant to say incline. Its not one subjective event, it's highly researched and a well known fact that flat barbell bench is not safe and if I help 1 person from what I went through then I'm happy. I wish I had known more about it at the time but as a competitive power lifter it's one of the 3 main lifts you focus on. Maybe you won't push enough weight to have your pec tear in half but come back in 10 yrs after you have your rotator cuff surgery and tell us how much you love to barbell bench press. People in the industry don't focus on flat barbell bench for a number of reasons but for some reason it's the most popular exercise for the bros at the local gym. If it's because of a lack of awareness then I'll do what I can to help get the word out. Thanks.

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

He meant to say incline. Its not one subjective event, it's highly researched and a well known fact that flat barbell bench is not safe and if I help 1 person from what I went through then I'm happy. I wish I had known more about it at the time but as a competitive power lifter it's one of the 3 main lifts you focus on. Maybe you won't push enough weight to have your pec tear in half but come back in 10 yrs after you have your rotator cuff surgery and tell us how much you love to barbell bench press. People in the industry don't focus on flat barbell bench for a number of reasons but for some reason it's the most popular exercise for the bros at the local gym. If it's because of a lack of awareness then I'll do what I can to help get the word out. Thanks.

Lol how do you know what he meant to say?!

..And when I DONT have surgery after 10 years, Ill be sure to post here, waiting for you to eat crow.

I know I wont, since I wont be lifting with my ego-- Something that seems to have shattered with that pectoral muscle of yours. 

Edited by GETTOTHE50

I am not as sure as some that he was going in the 1st anyway. I think he was an early day 2 guy who might now slide into round 3.... though not as far as the Bills pick. I am not that concerned with how we spend our 2nds and 3rd right now. I will wait to see what picks we have left after we have executed a trade up in round 1.