Where are the worst drivers located?

Another Fan

Florida is pretty bad, around the beltway in the DC area is pretty bad, Jersey is godawful.  But the worst by far is MA.  Boston in particular.  Holy ****.

In the world?  Worst I've ever seen is Haiti.  I asked the guy driving us (he was born and raised there, moved to the US to go to college and got a job) how the rules of the road worked there and he just said "have a big car."

8 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Florida is pretty bad, around the beltway in the DC area is pretty bad, Jersey is godawful.  But the worst by far is MA.  Boston in particular.  Holy ****.

In the world?  Worst I've ever seen is Haiti.  I asked the guy driving us (he was born and raised there, moved to the US to go to college and got a job) how the rules of the road worked there and he just said "have a big car."

I can attest to this... I'm in the Tampa area and if some knucklehead screws up on, approaching, or exiting one of the 3 big bridges it will back the interstates up to sometimes 10 miles. Like someone said above... this texting and driving thing has really turned into a big hassle, get off the damn phone and drive.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

In Atlanta when I was getting my license (back in 1996), the driving test was only in the parking lot and you didn't go on the road.

They set up cones, you drove between them and parallel parked at the end.  If you can do that, you get a license to drive.

It was awesome as a kid because it was that easy but now looking at it as an adult.....

This is probably because they would have to provide hazard pay for any testing guy who took a new driver out on the road in Atlanta. 

I had my license when I took driver education in WNY, but the other kids in the car didn’t. One of the kids took the test, got stuck in the snow and couldn’t finish. The next time he slid through a stop sign and hit another car. He didn’t pass that time either. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Montana has the highest per capita highway death rate, despite almost no traffic.  :huh:

Most other countries I've driven in have been at least as bad as the US.  Most are downright scary.

When I lived in Portugal, they had recently passed  a "no driving while talking on a cell phone" law, so when phones rang people would just stop their cars in the middle of the road and talk.  Not just something I saw once, either.  It was fairly consistent for the first year or so.

Edited by Acantha

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

No picnic on my commute from mid-town to the Financial District each day in Toronto.

On the NY Thruway and Mass Pike, look out for Ontario license plates.  

Tail gating, crazy speeding, changing lanes into tight spaces, not signaling, etc.

In the US?

The Boston area has the worst drivers. If you have never driven there you cannot imagine how bad it is. When I was a kid (under 20) I could drive in the area - it was bad, but not horrendous. Now? Horrendous would be an improvement.

Some areas have horrible "quirks"... like in SLC they pass on the right while someone is going 50 mph in the left lane - and do not stop for a yellow light because the 5 cars behind you running the red will slam into the back of your vehicle if you do. Vegas seems to gather the worst "quirks" in the country all in one place. An accident on every corner for morning rush hour!

When I used to live in Colorado, we would avoid cars with Wyoming plates like the plague.  They were horrible drivers.

That said, foreign visitors driving in New Zealand have to be the worst.

Most aren't used to driving in the left lane, and many Asian drivers have barely any actual driving experience before coming here.  

On top of all that, our South Island roads are very twisty and incredibly scenic, so many drivers spend time looking at the beautiful landscape instead of the road in front of them.

It's gotten to the point that I'm considering getting rid of my motorcycle.  Too many close calls.

Here's a shot of my bike on the lower South Island.

12309826_10153501213398551_4232488273061888597_o-2.jpg

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

On the NY Thruway and Mass Pike, look out for Ontario license plates.  

Tail gating, crazy speeding, changing lanes into tight spaces, not signaling, etc.

I drive like a saint in the US, I do not want to be confronted by the traffic cops again or spend 29 years for hitting a construction worker. Mercy has been given to me and I’ve learned my lesson.

but I go back to crazy mode when I get back to Canada.

Too many Canadians think the US is the same as home. You don’t want to be in the hands of law enforcement in the US....

Several years ago to appease my wife I was making an effort to clean up the road rage cursing.  I changed "C'mon Dildo" to "C'mon Della".

One holiday weekend I was driving from Michigan back to Buffalo.  There is a stretch near Toledo where you have to exit the highway in order to pick up Rt 80/90.  This is always a bottleneck and this time I was also behind this fool riding down the center of 2 lanes going about 10 miles below the speed limit and now slowing to a stop at a still green light.  As my head was about to pop I yelled my new, "C'mon Della!" 

As I am now behind this idiot at the red light, I glance at the license plate.  And, there it was, 'Della'. 

11 hours ago, snafu said:

The worst drivers are generally located inside EITHER: Jeep Grand Cherokees OR: Rideshare cars, whatever make or model.

I've noticed that about Grand Cherokees too, thought t was just me. I had one yesterday morning that came flying up with his lights flashing at me on a two-lane double yellow road when there was someone ahead of me and literally nowhere to go.

19 hours ago, sherpa said:

Please.

Rome has to be one of the most insane driving experiences one could experience.

Depending on what you call "the civilized world,"  Brazil and Argentina are far worse than the US.

Ding ding ding. 

Rome is terrifying. Stoplights are suggestions, not rules. I've never felt so in danger in a vehicle.