Rapaport: Bills won’t cut Tyrod, fine with paying 6 mill bonus

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

That is the second time. The official reason for Tyrod's benching never came out. Injury guarantee (or whatever it was), it looks bad on Tyrod's career anyway. Simply, he still got benched. A top 10 QB will not be benched like that. Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady will not get their butts embarrassed in that manner regardless of the contract terms.

We lost that game and it didn't even matter. What did it add up to? A higher draft pick? I can't recall.

If you want to count that as a benching I don’t know what to tell you. You certainly weren’t seeing the forest through the trees. If he got hurt the Bills were on the hook for his contract. It actually just happened with Blake Bortles. The Bills were eliminated (thanks to Rex botching the Miami game). It was in their best interest to lose. It’s not complicated to see why they played EJ. EVERY QB would be sent to the sidelines in that situation. 2 + 2 = 4...the math on this one is just as easy

Oh man.... I can think of a few posters who have been arrogantly proclaiming the Bills would never pay him this bonus  :doh:

C'mon guys!!!  Still a chance to put yourself on record with the 21.5% of us who've been saying Tyrod would still be a Bill for one more year!  :lol: 

Edited by transplantbillsfan

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If you want to count that as a benching I don’t know what to tell you. You certainly weren’t seeing the forest through the trees. If he got hurt the Bills were on the hook for his contract. It actually just happened with Blake Bortles. The Bills were eliminated (thanks to Rex botching the Miami game). It was in their best interest to lose. It’s not complicated to see why they played EJ. EVERY QB would be sent to the sidelines in that situation. 2 + 2 = 4...the math on this one is just as easy

That game will forever live in infamy as Gugny's last stand.

Go Ej go.

10 minutes into the game.   Oh EJ.   

Oh Ej.     WTF?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So the benching didn't happen? It happened. I saw him standing there on the sidelines. He didn't play. Like I spelled it out, the reasons behind it doesn't matter. I hope the Bills take Lamar Jackson (if he's still there for us and if they have balls to take a QB). I don't think Cousins want to come to Buffalo.

Since we made the playoffs, yes, I have to keep Tyrod. Handing off a playoff team to a rookie QB is a bad look. Bills brass do not know if they can land a proven QB. Therefore, they have to keep Tyrod. I'm fine with it.

2 hours ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

So the benching didn't happen? It happened. I saw him standing there on the sidelines. He didn't play. Like I spelled it out, the reasons behind it doesn't matter. I hope the Bills take Lamar Jackson (if he's still there for us and if they have balls to take a QB). I don't think Cousins want to come to Buffalo.

Since we made the playoffs, yes, I have to keep Tyrod. Handing off a playoff team to a rookie QB is a bad look. Bills brass do not know if they can land a proven QB. Therefore, they have to keep Tyrod. I'm fine with it.

Tom Brady got benched against the Bills too (for the 2nd half). The circumstances dictated it. It’s common sense, not complicated at all.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So they want to pay the bonus to make it easier to trade?

And keep their options close to their vest till Draft day.  The Bills wouldn't let 6M come in the way where another team in the Top 5 could hold them to Draft Ransom if they didn;t have a QB on the roster. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

I don't care if Jackson was better in 2017 than he was when he won the Heisman in 2016 (reality check: Manziel, Tebow, Leinart and Jason White won the Heisman too).  Bottom line, Jackson is nothing more than a taller version of Tyrod Taylor and would need the right offensive coordinator and offensive scheme to even have a chance of succeeding in the NFL.

Thanks for your opinion Bill Polian.

I think this is more a sign of the Bills 1- Not wanting to get rid of him unless they have a capable veteran option in place 2- They feel like he has decent trade value. I think Tyrod is gone although looking at the market for veteran QB's beyond Cousins I don't see a QB as good as Tyrod out there that can actually stay on the field. As far as his trade value, I think some team might give a 4th for a Tyrod rental. Alex Smith was acquired for a 3rd and a young corner, I think some team like the Cardinals or Broncos that miss out on the QB carousel could be willing to throw a mid-round pick for Taylor. 

Edited by billsfan89

Tyrod was benched for Nathan Peterman, NOT EJ. EJ was the first benching. Still looks bad. Tyrod will be gone (unless we make the playoffs again with him under center). Can Tyrod sustain drives? No, only sometimes. Can Tyrod convert third downs with his arm consistently? NOPE. I see a big sample size to show that; 2 full years.

We got lucky making the playoffs last season. Yes, it was luck. That's not gonna happen next season. I hope we do make the playoffs again even with Tyrod as QB. But if we don't make the playoffs, Tyrod is gone.

Just now, Buffalo Ballin said:

Tyrod was benched for Nathan Peterman, NOT EJ. EJ was the first benching. Still looks bad. Tyrod will be gone (unless we make the playoffs again with him under center). Can Tyrod sustain drives? No, only sometimes. Can Tyrod convert third downs with his arm consistently? NOPE. I see a big sample size to show that; 2 full years.

We got lucky making the playoffs last season. Yes, it was luck. That's not gonna happen next season. I hope we do make the playoffs again even with Tyrod as QB. But if we don't make the playoffs, Tyrod is gone.

He might not make it past March 16th.