What are the Expectations in the end for a Traded Up for QB?

5 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I would need:

1.). 15-16 Seaons as the starter

2.). Playing in over 248-250 games

3.). 10 seasons of playoff appearances

4.). 7-8 Division Titles

5.). 2-3 Super Bowl Appearances

6.). Super Bowl Victory is a must.

What are you on cause I might want some of that stuff....

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that it would be interesting to see how many QBs meet that criteria and how many were drafted in a trade up. Maybe Eli? Maybe Elway? 

I posted that I thought Josh Rosen's NFL comparison would be Eli Manning and I had numerous people respond that he's not worth trading up for if he's only as good as Eli Manning. There are a lot of delusional fans on this forum. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I posted that I thought Josh Rosen's NFL comparison would be Eli Manning and I had numerous people respond that he's not worth trading up for if he's only as good as Eli Manning. There are a lot of delusional fans on this forum. 

You posted that his ceiling was Eli Manning. It wasn't surprising to see that people wanted something more consistent and less streaky as a ceiling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

You posted that his ceiling was Eli Manning. It wasn't surprising to see that people wanted something more consistent and less streaky as a ceiling.

Yet he's 1 of only a couple that checks off most of the OP's wishes, wishes that are absolutely absurd to begin with.

9 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Yet he's 1 of only a couple that checks off most of the OP's wishes, wishes that are absolutely absurd to begin with.

Except he isn't and doesn't. He meets exactly 2 of the OP's wishes. Super Bowl Appearances and win. He's started 13 seasons, played in 216 games, made the playoffs 6 times, and won the division 3 times.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

37 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Then again, Eli has won...is it two super bowls?  Hmmmmmmight settle for that over the next 15 years..

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Except he isn't and doesn't. He meets exactly 2 of the OP's wishes. Super Bowl Appearances and win. He's started 13 seasons, played in 216 games, made the playoffs 6 times, and won the division 3 times.

Oh did the retire? I guess I missed the announcement

4 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Then again, Eli has won...is it two super bowls?  Hmmmmmmight settle for that over the next 15 years..

Apparently that's not good enough to be a Bills QB! :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Yes. In 14 seasons he's made the playoffs 6 times, and every time he's won at least a playoff game they've won the Super Bowl. They've also had 6 seasons at or under .500 in that same span. I'm not going to apologize for hoping that a QB we trade up for is more consistently successful than Eli, who is incredibly streaky. I'll take good Eli any day of the week, but there are quite a few QBs I'd put well ahead of him because of their consistency.

4 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Oh did the retire? I guess I missed the announcement

You were the one who said he checks off most of the boxes. At this point he most certainly does not.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

i think rosen's a thin skinned california liberal that will probably always have some minor nagging injury.

not a good fit for the cold in buffalo...pass

the only qb i'd move up for is mayfield. if not sit tight and take rudolph.

1 minute ago, billsredneck1 said:

i think rosen's a thin skinned california liberal that will probably always have some minor nagging injury.

not a good fit for the cold in buffalo...pass

the only qb i'd move up for is mayfield. if not sit tight and take rudolph.

Mayfield is extremely thin skinned if that’s a concern of yours. Just follow him on twitter. 

6 hours ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I would need:

1.). 15-16 Seaons as the starter

2.). Playing in over 248-250 games

3.). 10 seasons of playoff appearances

4.). 7-8 Division Titles

5.). 2-3 Super Bowl Appearances

6.). Super Bowl Victory is a must.

I think the OP is making fun of the "let's trade the farm" crowd who seem to think anybody not named Tyrod is going to have those accomplishments.  The same crowd that will roast Bills management 5-7 years down the road when we have one playoff appearance that we promptly lose because we have no defense among other things.  

7 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

really? i have never done the twitter thing.

He appears to search his name and will respond to people who “criticize” him. I put that in quotes because I wouldn’t even call it criticism. Like a draft guy mentioned he had average arm strength once in a scouting report and he had to respond with something snarky. It wouldn’t keep me from drafting him but he has to stop with the rabbit ears or he will be RG3.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have said before that our local media is convinced he will not get drafted in the top half of the first. We will see.

i would be blown away and i guess that when the music stops with free agent chairs, things could look a whole lot different.

however, snatching up a.j. mc carron and keeping our picks would be my favorite outcome. i'd take vea and hurst to combine with washington and williams. 4 man rush....done deal.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that it would be interesting to see how many QBs meet that criteria and how many were drafted in a trade up. Maybe Eli? Maybe Elway? 

Actually, Eli wasn't technically a trade-up as he was traded for Rivers and picks.  I think that might have been true of Elway, too. Between the 2000 and  2015 drafts, trade ups for first round QBs yielded 3 fails: Losman (2004), Sanchez (2009), and Griffin (2012).

1 hour ago, rodneykm said:

Honestly, just be solid at the position for as long as you can. Of course, I'd have hopes of many pro bowls and such. 

I don't believe you.  Look at all the whining about Watkins "not being worth 2 firsts".  If the Bills gave up a boatload of picks to move into the Top 5 to take a QB and he wasn't at least as good as Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees (ie, an elite QB), he'd be crucified, so the OP's criteria is probably far more realistic about fans' expectations than yours. 

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

Not delusional at all.  Maybe you're willing to pay Nieman Marcus prices for Walmart quality but most people aren't.  I don't doubt that knowing how both QBs turned out, many if not most Giants fans would say that they'd have preferred that their team have kept Rivers.  Eli's two Super Bowl victories have been the only reason that Giants fans haven't turned on him although those victories may not save him if he doesn't play better in 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SoTier said:

Not delusional at all.  Maybe you're willing to pay Nieman Marcus prices for Walmart quality but most people aren't.  I don't doubt that knowing how both QBs turned out, many if not most Giants fans would say that they'd have preferred that their team have kept Rivers.  Eli's two Super Bowl victories have been the only reason that Giants fans haven't turned on him although those victories may not save him if he doesn't play better in 2018.

first off, a QB they draft will be super cheap compared to a veteran.  the contracts these days are nuts.  secondly, i'll gladly take the 2 super bowl wins over the next 14 yrs.  not sure what people expect but if we had a QB as good as Eli in his prime then we hit the jackpot

The optimist in me says that there is usually some truth to these types of statements because QBs are typically overdrafted in general in the draft and will go higher based on positional value. This could be a positive for the Bills who reportedly want to trade up to take a QB high because teams at the top know that the best players in the draft at other positions will be pushed down due to the QBs,  and may be more willing to trade down to our spots with their value looking higher than normal. For example top 10 players could be had at 20-32.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Based on your own requirements, you would never have traded up for Jim Kelly.

STUPID!

Indeed.  I wish people could "get over" the idea of holding a player responsible for his draft position or what it took to get there.  That's on the team.  All the player can do is go hard and put in honest 100% effort to meet his potential.

Realistically, the expectations have to be the same for any player drafted at that position: he may be Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Stafford,Ryan,Rivers, Palmer, or P. Manning - only one of whom has or is likely to meet your criteria.  Or he may be Luck, Griffith, or Bradford and suffer from injury.  Or he may be Bortles, Newton, Eli Manning, a competent QB, even a playoff-winning QB, but not the guy who can lift and carry a team.  Or he may be Sanchez, Russell, Young, Vick, Couch, Akili Smith, Leaf and "not all that".

Why on earth do we think the team's decision to trade up for a guy changes the odds?  Every team scouts.  Every team thinks every player they draft can do it.  And even in the top 5 picks, 1/2 to 1/3 of the time they're wrong.  Those are the facts. 

Assimilate them, because if the only time you want our team to take a shot is when we're 100% sure we'll win the lottery and build a palace, the house will be falling down around our ears before we repair the roof.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think only Peyton Manning and John Elway meet those criteria or close, and Manning wasn't traded for.  Eli doesn't meet them.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kdiggz said:

We wish we had a QB as good as Eli for most of the last 13 years

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yes. In 14 seasons he's made the playoffs 6 times, and every time he's won at least a playoff game they've won the Super Bowl. They've also had 6 seasons at or under .500 in that same span. I'm not going to apologize for hoping that a QB we trade up for is more consistently successful than Eli, who is incredibly streaky. I'll take good Eli any day of the week, but there are quite a few QBs I'd put well ahead of him because of their consistency.

Actually I think Eli is less streaky and more dependent on the quality of pieces around him than most people think.

That's true of most QB, including Brady Brees and Rodgers, although "Teflon Drew" and "Rodgers the Dodger" are the closest in the league to being able to create plays on their own, and Brady's "pieces" only need to be able to play the Pats*** system as designed, which makes them easier to collect. 

52 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I think the OP is making fun of the "let's trade the farm" crowd who seem to think anybody not named Tyrod is going to have those accomplishments.  The same crowd that will roast Bills management 5-7 years down the road when we have one playoff appearance that we promptly lose because we have no defense among other things.  

That deserves to be made fun of.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

55 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

What, 5 to 7 years down the road with drafts and free agency, we won't be able to build a defense?  That trade up for a top qb must have cost more than I foresee . . .

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Improvement year to year,  clutch game winning drive ability, becomes the team leader, able to manage games AND put the team on his back to win. Solid starter for at least 2 contracts.

Ill be good with that. The rest of stuff like winning SBs and playoffs also depends on the rest of the team so i wont throw that on one player.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

What, 5 to 7 years down the road with drafts and free agency, we won't be able to build a defense?  That trade up for a top qb must have cost more than I foresee . . .

The Bills trading up into the top 5 will eat at least 3 first round picks for our "savior" QB.  We are not a player away from the conference championship never mind the SB.  Looking at DL, LB, TE, RB (McCoy is in the twilight of his career), WR we are at least 5 players away.  Then the retirements and aging will come forcing replacements for other positions.  If it were easy to build a top 10 defense then everybody would be doing it.  Just like finding a QB that has a 4,000 yard, 30 TD, 10 INT season.  If such a QB was sitting in the top 5 and everybody knew it 3 first round picks would be less than half of the cost to get him as 3/4 of the league could use a QB with those stats.  Cincy would chuck Dalton and Miami would set Tannenhill by the road with the recycling if they thought such a QB could be had and their cost because they sit higher in the draft order would be less than the Bills' cost.

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The Bills trading up into the top 5 will eat at least 3 first round picks for our "savior" QB.  We are not a player away from the conference championship never mind the SB.  Looking at DL, LB, TE, RB (McCoy is in the twilight of his career), WR we are at least 5 players away.  Then the retirements and aging will come forcing replacements for other positions.  If it were easy to build a top 10 defense then everybody would be doing it.  Just like finding a QB that has a 4,000 yard, 30 TD, 10 INT season.  If such a QB was sitting in the top 5 and everybody knew it 3 first round picks would be less than half of the cost to get him as 3/4 of the league could use a QB with those stats.  Cincy would chuck Dalton and Miami would set Tannenhill by the road with the recycling if they thought such a QB could be had and their cost because they sit higher in the draft order would be less than the Bills' cost.

Not sure anyone suggested it was easy to build a SB team.  One builds a team over the course of years.  Getting a potential franchise qb now is not aimed at immediate gratification.  You have time to fill other holes.  No one is expecting to go win the SB next year.  Even a great qb needs time to mature.  I don't grant you will need to trade three firsts.  21 and 22, plus, but even if it was three firsts, you'd still have enough draft capital and FA to improve the team over the course of years.  It isn't an either/or situation unless one exaggerates cost to the point of hyperbole.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Not sure anyone suggested it was easy to build a SB team.  One builds a team over the course of years.  Getting a potential franchise qb now is not aimed at immediate gratification.  You have time to fill other holes.  No one is expecting to go win the SB next year.  Even a great qb needs time to mature.  I don't grant you will need to trade three firsts.  21 and 22, plus, but even if it was three firsts, you'd still have enough draft capital and FA to improve the team over the course of years.  It isn't an either/or situation unless one exaggerates cost to the point of hyperbole.

Sky high expectations?  Maybe you don't but I would bet that most of the trade up crowd does.  Also, there is no logic in having expectations that a top QB prospect will be a stud and yet the same prospect won't get a sniff from other teams.  I'd really like to know what the expectations are with the trade up guys.  Tell me that they expect a guy to have a ceiling of 3,000 yards and I would say that there are cheaper options than giving up 3 number 1 picks.  Heck, if it were that simple I would say we already have that guy in Tyrod.  If they say they expect 4,000-4,500 yards then why would 3/4 of the league not be interested in grabbing that prospect.  Especially if he had a 3:1 TD:INT ratio.  If the experts are expecting 4,000 -4,500 yard seasons out of those guys then you will have more than a couple of teams looking with only tepid interest.  Miami and Cincy could use that kind of guy among other teams .  Yes, for the Bills it will cost 3 number 1 picks easily coupled with a couple of 2nd's and more.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Sky high expectations?  Maybe you don't but I would bet that most of the trade up crowd does.  Also, there is no logic in having expectations that a top QB prospect will be a stud and yet the same prospect won't get a sniff from other teams.  I'd really like to know what the expectations are with the trade up guys.  Tell me that they expect a guy to have a ceiling of 3,000 yards and I would say that there are cheaper options than giving up 3 number 1 picks.  Heck, if it were that simple I would say we already have that guy in Tyrod.  If they say they expect 4,000-4,500 yards then why would 3/4 of the league not be interested in grabbing that prospect.  Especially if he had a 3:1 TD:INT ratio.  If the experts are expecting 4,000 -4,500 yard seasons out of those guys then you will have more than a couple of teams looking with only tepid interest.  Miami and Cincy could use that kind of guy among other teams .  Yes, for the Bills it will cost 3 number 1 picks easily coupled with a couple of 2nd's and more.

The expectation is that within 3 yrs you will have a QB that can win you the Super Bowl and make you a contender for many years to come.  It's not all about instant gratification

• Like (+1) 1