Bills fire Randy "Woody" Ribbeck after 35 years

8 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I have no information why he was fired. But the way the world works most of the time says he was fired because he is getting older and statistically is more likely for some kind of ailment that will could put him out of commission for a month or two. Also he is not beholden to the new regime. Control freaks like to have hired everybody. That way everybody is in their debt and also is the "type" of person who they want around. Last , 50% chance the job will go to a friend of McD or Bean's like they did when they got rid of Byrd and hired the guy McD went to high school with.

A control freak would have gotten rid of Jim Overdorf who negotiated contracts which did not have clauses to recover money due to drug suspensions from Big Stuff especially since Beane has experience in negotiation of contracts so "control freak" is wrong term.  Byrd appears to have been a philosophy difference and it is not like McDermott has not fired coaches before with money going down drain; it is NOT his money and this is an issue with a owner whose wallet is not so tight.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

A control freak would have gotten rid of Jim Overdorf who negotiated contracts which did not have clauses to recover money due to drug suspensions from Big Stuff especially since Beane has experience in negotiation of contracts so "control freak" is wrong term.  Byrd appears to have been a philosophy difference and it is not like McDermott has not fired coaches before with money going down drain; it is NOT his money and this is an issue with a owner whose wallet is not so tight.

He might not be able to get rid of overdorf, or russ brandon, yet. 

I think he is just chipping away maybe. People do it that way. Chipping away at the foundation.

First they came for Rex, and I did not speak out because I am not a fat blowhard.

Then they came for the Analytics staff, and I did not speak out because I am not a khaki-pantsed sub-genius geek.

Then they came for the Assistant Equipment Manager, and I did not speak out because I am not (quite) old enough to have worked somewhere for 35 years nor have I ever been known as "Woody."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

He might not be able to get rid of overdorf, or russ brandon, yet. 

I think he is just chipping away maybe. People do it that way. Chipping away at the foundation.

Pegula gave Beane the authority to decide what to do with overdorf

russ Brandon is not part of this at all. He’s a managing partner with the Bills and President of the Sabres and Amerks . He’s an employee of PSE.

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Pegula gave Beane the authority to decide what to do with overdorf

russ Brandon is not part of this at all. He’s a managing partner with the Bills and President of the Sabres and Amerks . He’s an employee of PSE.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Also, Russ Brandon's title includes the word "Partner"? Holy cow.

He was kind of a staple.  Usually, when equipment guys are let go, it is either because of a huge mess-up, or a series of small and careless ones (after 35 years, Id say he wasnt continually messing up).... or they are grabbing a few too many 5-finger discounts and/or selling stuff.  Its also possible that with new restructuring, personnel, etc, you have a 35 year man who is resistant to change and isn't easy to work with a new guard.... you can get wide-eyed 23 year olds to work twice as hard for half the pay, and never question anything.

When I worked there, I had one interaction with him.  Its possible he might have been busy or something, but the interaction has always left me with a negative opinion of him.  

Edited by May Day 10

13 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I will miss Randy Ribbeck. I actually didn't even know his name until today. It was comforting seeing him at camp year after year. He gave me a sense of continuity. Come to think of it he's the only Bills staff at camp who does anything besides stand around during practice. They will probably need two people to replace him, at least during camp practices.

Obviously I have no idea why they fired him. But I will say it is just plain stupid to say he was the source of some kind of leaks. 

The so called big "leaks" of the past have been stuff that could only have been known by Pegula, Whaley, Brandon, and the head coach. Unless they just blab and blab like idiots which you never know. So let's not blame the equipment guy, 

So lets stop with the stupid stuff about this man being fired for being a leaker which y'all just made up on the spot in case anyone didn't know you were prone to saying stupid and mean things when a man is down. Now we know.

I have no information why he was fired. But the way the world works most of the time says he was fired because he is getting older and statistically is more likely for some kind of ailment that will could put him out of commission for a month or two. Also he is not beholden to the new regime. Control freaks like to have hired everybody. That way everybody is in their debt and also is the "type" of person who they want around. Last , 50% chance the job will go to a friend of McD or Bean's like they did when they got rid of Byrd and hired the guy McD went to high school with.

Those are the everyday reasons things happen in every business every day. And that is probably all this is.

So you have no idea why Woody was fired, but we shouldn't speculate on why he was fired.  But you can then go on to speculate that McDermott fired him because he's a control freak and just wants to hire a friend?  Okaaaaay...

I've never seen people get so up in arms over a firing - happens all the time. 

Bummer for Woody?  Sure.  High level conspiracy?  Unlikely.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Thanks I didn't know that.

Also, Russ Brandon's title includes the word "Partner"? Holy cow.

After Beane was hired, when Pegula was asked about Overdorf he said something like 'that will be up to the new GM, I'll do what I can for him' or words to that effect.

Which, if I were a new hire GM, would make me cautious about taking the hatchet to Overdorf without strong reason, y'know? even if I technically have hatchet priviledges

The scatalogical joke fall of 2016 was "Doug Whaley is so far up Pegula's arse he can see Russ Brandon's shoes"

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

So you have no idea why Woody was fired, but we shouldn't speculate on why he was fired.  But you can then go on to speculate that McDermott fired him because he's a control freak and just wants to hire a friend?  Okaaaaay...

I've never seen people get so up in arms over a firing - happens all the time. 

Bummer for Woody?  Sure.  High level conspiracy?  Unlikely.

Well, you can see what I said when I wrote there. It is plain enough. An I did not say what you  reworded it into. Which is why you needed to reword it I guess.

1 hour ago, eball said:

@BadLandsMeanie you clearly have too much time on your hands.  Good grief.

Thats not very insightful. Everyone who posts here has too much time on their hands.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

After Beane was hired, when Pegula was asked about Overdorf he said something like 'that will be up to the new GM, I'll do what I can for him' or words to that effect.

Which, if I were a new hire GM, would make me cautious about taking the hatchet to Overdorf without strong reason, y'know? even if I technically have hatchet priviledges

The scatalogical joke fall of 2016 was "Doug Whaley is so far up Pegula's arse he can see Russ Brandon's shoes"

You make good sense. If the team owners says he will do what he can for somebody, that carries quite a bit of weight.

I remember that joke. It wasn't very nice but it was funny. :)

22 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

there were no leaks coming from OBD  unless it was from themselves. 

Nearly every person I trust who might have inside gossip has been very quiet 

My last post was naught but a joke.  Dunkirk Don even admitted in a 2000 word post that he was a fraud.

At least he admitted it.

Savior Back-up has never admitted to what a fraud he is. Ever since the Super Bowl that guy has disappeared.

I guess he is not concerned about the Bills off season.

18 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

At least he admitted it.

Savior Back-up has never admitted to what a fraud he is. Ever since the Super Bowl that guy has disappeared.

I guess he is not concerned about the Bills off season.

or at all.   seemed every other team but was better off.  

23 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yep.   While we're at it, let's take down the player names on the stadium.   They're old news and I'm sick of them always popping off with a comment.    And that damn statue of Ralph.   All it does is attract pigeons who poop all over the walkway.    Tear it down...

Now you’re talking.