Baker Mayfield won’t attend NFL draft

YoloinOhio

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:34 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I probably wouldn’t go either. With that being said it gets uncomfortable when they go down the list to have enough guys there and then they don’t get drafted until halfway through the next day.

One of the things that I'm getting tired of is the Goddell and draftee bear hugs. Enough with that act. I forgot the first player who spontaneously lifted up and bear hugged the commissioner. It was a heartwarming moment for the player who was filled with the emotion. It seems like everyone feels compelled to follow that tradition.  I know I sound like a grouch but I wish there would be less of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

One of the things that I'm getting tired of is the Goddell and draftee bear hugs. Enough with that act. I forgot the first player who spontaneously lifted up and bear hugged the commissioner. It was a heartwarming moment for the player who was filled with the emotion. It seems like everyone feels compelled to follow that tradition.  I know I sound like a grouch but I wish there would be less of it. 

I agree with you John. It feels fake. I know that these guys are ecstatic but they will be hating Goodell within a few months anyways. It’s cool when they are with their families. It could be cool if their college coach welcomed them as well. 

41 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I live in LA, lots of stuff here about how he rubs people the wrong way to often.  Doesnt mean its true, but when I am mortgaging the future to go up and trade to get a QB, and I have several to choose from, then nit picking concerns matter.  

I already said I wont hate landing him,  but I don't care what anyones opinion of this guy or that guy is, the facts are that Baker, Darnold, Allen, and Rosen are all very closely graded and likely all early picks.  So you need to find ways to separate them and durability and personality question marks make me less comfortable in a very expensive trade up.  Kid could be the next great thing, and I will 100% back him if we draft him...but going into the draft, he is down now on my preferred targets.

And some of you are taking the Bradford and Cutler references waaaaay to literally.  Its not like I am saying he has the same injuries as Bradford.  I am simply pointing out, that durability and staying on the field in general is a concern.  Then the Cutler reference is simply stems from the concerns personality wise where Cutler seems to rub people wrong his whole career.  Right now, even Rosen's coach wouldn't take him #1 overall over Darnold, and I don't care what back pedaling Mora is trying to do to change that, he knows exactly what he said and that it would be damaging to Josh ahead of the draft.  Yet he said it anyway, then doubled down to explain why he said it.  

So once again, I have moved him down and the big winner was Allen who has impressed in combine and workouts.  But my top guy still hasn't changed, and thats Baker.  Darnold has moved back up a spot with his strong offseason too.

Fair enough. The Mora thing though.. that was totally in the context of his answer. The question wasn't who is the best QB. Cleveland situationally isnt the best spot for Rosen. His former coach knows, and even the kid probably knows. I feel there is a big difference between the best qb, and who the browns take at #1. It's not even the small market thing as Buf and Cle are on the same peg there.. 1 shows signs of competence and one is a raging dumpster fire with 1 win to their name.the other things I totally get holding against him even if they could be deemed sterotypical. I listened/watched to the Mora thing live and didnt for a second think there was an issue until later when the media blew it up

Edited by gobills1212

26 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Fair enough. The Mora thing though.. that was totally in the context of his answer. The question wasn't who is the best QB. Cleveland situationally isnt the best spot for Rosen. His former coach knows, and even the kid probably knows. I feel there is a big difference between the best qb, and who the browns take at #1. It's not even the small market thing as Buf and Cle are on the same peg there.. 1 shows signs of competence and one is a raging dumpster fire with 1 win to their name.the other things I totally get holding against him even if they could be deemed sterotypical. I listened/watched to the Mora thing live and didnt for a second think there was an issue until later when the media blew it up

I get where you are coming from, and of course I wont hold it against him if we draft him.  But thing about Mora is he did not have to say what he said, in fact, its pretty stupid thing for him to say really.  He easily could have said "Of course I would take my guy Josh as I think he is the best QB in the draft, but I can see why Cle would want Darnold as he is their kind of guy and a talented prospect"...or some variation of such.  

He knew full well saying any QB not named Josh Rosen should be the guy Cleveland should take #1 was going to be big news before the draft and spun very negatively against Josh. Yet he still chose to say it and then validated saying it later.  

To be honest, that makes me wonder just what Mora thinks of Rosen because there is no way he wasn't aware enough to know that it would be used against Rosen.  As his college coach, he should be out there making every case he can for his guy to go #1 overall...and yet he didn't.  

On 2/19/2018 at 8:26 PM, whatdrought said:

It makes sense... I've thought for a while now that bringing 20 of those guys there is silly. Should be more business and less entertainment. If I'm a guy like Mayfield, I don't want the camera looking at me as pick after pick passes without my name being called (not to say that will happen to him, but he is one who could surprising fall, and if he does then its all going to be about his "character issues"). 

There will be 40 million cameras at his house showing his face after each QB needy team passes.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I agree with you John. It feels fake. I know that these guys are ecstatic but they will be hating Goodell within a few months anyways. It’s cool when they are with their families. It could be cool if their college coach welcomed them as well. 

You want them to make enemy with Goodell, the guy that runs the league where they get paid, but embrace the millionaires who stay hush as to how the NCAA profits off of their likeness and creates obstacles for earning any extra money at all for your own brand.

We pretend to be on David's side but Goliath laughs at us. 

On 2/20/2018 at 8:07 AM, teef said:

i think i would go too, just to see the fanfare.  this may sound strange, but i think it would depend on what position i was.  if i was a lineman or lb who really knew they were going to be taken in the first, i'd probably go and just enjoy myself.   more high profile positions...i'm not so sure.  

Would you have a Korean call girl as your date?

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get where you are coming from, and of course I wont hold it against him if we draft him.  But thing about Mora is he did not have to say what he said, in fact, its pretty stupid thing for him to say really.  He easily could have said "Of course I would take my guy Josh as I think he is the best QB in the draft, but I can see why Cle would want Darnold as he is their kind of guy and a talented prospect"...or some variation of such.  

He knew full well saying any QB not named Josh Rosen should be the guy Cleveland should take #1 was going to be big news before the draft and spun very negatively against Josh. Yet he still chose to say it and then validated saying it later.  

To be honest, that makes me wonder just what Mora thinks of Rosen because there is no way he wasn't aware enough to know that it would be used against Rosen.  As his college coach, he should be out there making every case he can for his guy to go #1 overall...and yet he didn't.  

I also downgraded Rosen but I think you are missing something with Mora. If he has plans to go from coaching and into broadcasting then his comments make perfect sense. He instantly got himself some attention for his willingness to say the "cold hard fact" instead of coach speak.

Either way I'm all aboard the Mayfield train but I will support who ever they draft until it's no longer possible!

Edited by Commonsense
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/19/2018 at 10:08 PM, BuffaloRebound said:

Unless I had a really good reason not to go, I'd go if I got the invite.  It's an honor to be one of the guys who gets invited to the draft. Seems kind of early in the process and somewhat presumptuous to be saying you're not attending the draft.  

Maybe not but I'd go! It's a special moment and you sure get a feel for the hugeness of  the NFL. Not that college wasn't crazy for these guys though.

7 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

You want them to make enemy with Goodell, the guy that runs the league where they get paid, but embrace the millionaires who stay hush as to how the NCAA profits off of their likeness and creates obstacles for earning any extra money at all for your own brand.

We pretend to be on David's side but Goliath laughs at us. 

Nope, I want them to share their accomplishment with people that were a part of the journey. The people that helped them get to the point where they could walk across that stage, people that they have a relationship with. John Calipari is always one of the stars of the NBA draft. It is a “graduation” of sorts. These coaches have played a vital role in these guys becoming 1st round picks.

12 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

What is authentic is the reaction of the prospect and their family whether it is in the Blue Room or at home when the call is made. Many of the prospects came out of challenging situations.Through talent and hard work they defied the long shot odds to get the call that few get. Whether the player came out of difficult circumstances or favorable circumstances, like the Mannings, Longs and McCaffrey. the one thing they have in common is the incredible effort they put in to be where they are.  .  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Looper said:

Yep, he'll be about as happy as Manziel was when Cleveland picked him. 

He's not Manziel.  That's a lazy comparison.  Mayfield is an intense football competitor.  He has a pretty high floor, imo.  Allen has the highest ceiling, but he is much more of a gamble.  I would be happy with either, so I don't feel the need to denigrate one player to promote another . . . unless you're advocating for Mason Rudolph :P

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

He's not Manziel.  That's a lazy comparison.  Mayfield is an intense football competitor.  He has a pretty high floor, imo.  Allen has the highest ceiling, but he is much more of a gamble.  I would be happy with either, so I don't feel the need to denigrate one player to promote another . . . unless you're advocating for Mason Rudolph :P

C'mon - as with me, you have no idea if Mayfield will be successful as a pro. Manziel was an intense competitor in college too. Both have had off-field issues. 

But you can't use college accuracy to compare.

Just now, Looper said:

C'mon - as with me, you have no idea if Mayfield will be successful as a pro. Manziel was an intense competitor in college too. Both have had off-field issues. 

Manziel was in love with celebrity and had no interest in X's and O's.  He admitted as much in a recent interview.  Naturally, no one knows who will hit and who will miss.  Everyone is making an educated guess, but Mayfield's commitment to football is lightyears better than where Manziel was.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Manziel was in love with celebrity and had no interest in X's and O's.  He admitted as much in a recent interview.  Naturally, no one knows who will hit and who will miss.  Everyone is making an educated guess, but Mayfield's commitment to football is lightyears better than where Manziel was.

Wasn't Mayfield scheduled to do some pre-draft reality show ? 

Just now, Looper said:

Wasn't Mayfield scheduled to do some pre-draft reality show ? 

If you think Mayfield is the same psychology as Manziel, you are welcome to your opinion.  I think he is a fierce competitor who will put football first when it matters.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If you think Mayfield is the same psychology as Manziel, you are welcome to your opinion.  I think he is a fierce competitor who will put football first when it matters.

If the Bills draft him, I hope you're right. I have my doubts as to his maturity.

13 minutes ago, Looper said:

If the Bills draft him, I hope you're right. I have my doubts as to his maturity.

I'm one of the few on this board who would be fine with a trade up to 2 to take Allen.  The top four all have question marks.  I think Mayfield will grow out of his maturity issues.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I'm one of the few on this board who would be fine with a trade up to 2 to take Allen.  The top four all have question marks.  I think Mayfield will grow out of his maturity issues.  

If we trade to #2, I'll be fine with whoever they take, or will at least give the player and Beane the benefit of the doubt. I just want to see the Bills identify THE guy and then go and get him. If they choose wrong, then we'll deal with that in a year or two, but at least we're finally swinging for the fences instead of bunting.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

If we trade to #2, I'll be fine with whoever they take, or will at least give the player and Beane the benefit of the doubt. I just want to see the Bills identify THE guy and then go and get him. If they choose wrong, then we'll deal with that in a year or two, but at least we're finally swinging for the fences instead of bunting.

I generally agree with your sentiment, though I would limit #2 to the big four.  You don't need to trade up to 2 if you want Lamar Jackson, for instance.  There's a chance the Jets would take Mayfield, but I think they will pick Rosen.  Mayfield is likely available at 6, but if you have decided he is the guy, take him at 2 if you want to eliminate risk of missing out.

Just now, Dr. Who said:

I generally agree with your sentiment, though I would limit #2 to the big four.  You don't need to trade up to 2 if you want Lamar Jackson, for instance.  There's a chance the Jets would take Mayfield, but I think they will pick Rosen.  Mayfield is likely available at 6, but if you have decided he is the guy, take him at 2 if you want to eliminate risk of missing out.

I agree, and I dont think a trade to #2 would have us pick Jackson or the like. But even if they did, I'd be shocked, but I'd "trust the process" for a little bit before I jumped off my roof.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I agree, and I dont think a trade to #2 would have us pick Jackson or the like. But even if they did, I'd be shocked, but I'd "trust the process" for a little bit before I jumped off my roof.

Yes.  If you're jumping off your roof, you've invested too much in football.  Life is bigger than that.

Edited by Dr. Who

36 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm also fine with a move  up to get Allen. 

15 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

I remember when it was looked as an honor of sorts to be invited and attend. Times have changed since Rodgers was drafted. For each their own, but the experience only happens once.

I agree. The opportunity to experience this once in a lifetime event surrounded by your family and friends and others who've helped you get there is just too meaningful to spend away from them. 

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nope, I want them to share their accomplishment with people that were a part of the journey. The people that helped them get to the point where they could walk across that stage, people that they have a relationship with. John Calipari is always one of the stars of the NBA draft. It is a “graduation” of sorts. These coaches have played a vital role in these guys becoming 1st round picks.

This does not apply to all of them. Ask Rosen how he REALLY feels about Jim Mora. All of that sounded real nice though. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 8:03 AM, Looper said:

There does seem to be a difference in the "chalk board intelligence" between the two based off reports.

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No way that board pic can be real......If it is, man that's crazy.  I would think things would be a little more professional there.

Edited by Lagoon Blues