Favorite Al Pacino movie

Another Fan

The other Attica thread reminded me of him.  Plus I started a favorite DeNiro movie thread a few weeks back so only fitting to start one on one of his "acting rivals" so to speak.

The first two Godfather movies were good but I'll go with Dog Day Afternoon, Scarface, and And Justice For All.  The last scene in the later mentioned movie makes it great.

Warning: Spoilers!

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Devils Advocate

Pacino was great in that.  But Keanu Reeves was so horrible that I couldn't list the movie.  It would have been so much better with a better actor alongside Pacino.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Pacino was great in that.  But Keanu Reeves was so horrible that I couldn't list the movie.  It would have been so much better with a better actor alongside Pacino.

I've always liked Reeves , thought he did fine, never really thought about him being bad in the movie I guess.

Godfather I and II have to be #1 (taken together as a whole, which is how I view those movies)

Followed by Glengarry Glen Ross which is an amazing film with unbelievable writing and acting and Pacino's character in it is great.

I used to love Scarface but it doesn't stand the test of time in my opinion.

Brian De Palma is way over-rated.

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Godfathers don't count. Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico for me. His best performance doesn't necessarily equate to the best movie or the favorite movie.

Why don't the Godfather movies count?  His acting was superb in those.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Why don't the Godfather movies count?  His acting was superb in those.

Because those are two of the best movies ever made, and there really wouldn't be a discussion if you included those.

Of course, the studio at the time didn't want Pacino at all and numerous times turned him down before finally Coppola convinced the powers that be that he should get the role.

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Because those are two of the best movies ever made, and there really wouldn't be a discussion if you included those.

Of course, the studio at the time didn't want Pacino at all and numerous times turned him down before finally Coppola convinced the powers that be that he should get the role.

I'm catching what you're pitching, now.

23 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Godfathers don't count. Dog Day Afternoon and Serpico for me. His best performance doesn't necessarily equate to the best movie or the favorite movie.

Pacino was fantastic in the first two Godfathers and those performances are the foundation his career and reputation were built upon as a preeminent actor. 

His performances in those two films predate his odd transformation into a caricature of himself in later roles, which often makes his performances unwatchable.  

Scent of a Woman is a good example of this and anything done after.

In many films after the Godfather, Pacino plays "Pacino", not the character.

Edited by Fadingpain

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Pacino was fantastic in the first two Godfathers and those performances are the foundation his career and reputation were built upon as a preeminent actor. 

His performances in those two films predate his odd transformation into a caricature of himself in later roles, which often makes his performances unwatchable.  

Scent of a Woman is a good example of this and anything done after.

In many films after the Godfather, Pacino plays "Pacino", not the character.

Absolutely true. Scent of a Woman was embarrassing IMO.

12 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah but what does that have to do with this discussion? 

The studio didn't dislike Pacino because he was a bad actor; they disliked him b/c he looked too ethnic and they wanted more of a mainstream "male lead".  The history of Hollywood business types is filled with **** decisions.

Thank God Francis was a strong enough character to steer that whole situation in the right direction

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

The studio didn't dislike Pacino because he was a bad actor; they disliked him b/c he looked too ethnic and they wanted more of a mainstream "male lead".  The history of Hollywood business types is filled with **** decisions.

Thank God Francis was a strong enough character to steer that whole situation in the right direction

True. Of course, they didn't want Marlon Brando either.  And a lot of those decisions were being made by a guy who wasn't even head of the studio, Paramount, but rather Gulf and Western President Charles Bluhdorn.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Lol.  I read somewhere they wanted Robert Redford as Mike Corleone

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

True. Of course, they didn't want Marlon Brando either.  And a lot of those decisions were being made by a guy who wasn't even head of the studio, Paramount, but rather Gulf and Western President Charles Bluhdorn.

In Brando's case it wasn't because he was too ethnically Italian for the big screen.  Brando was notoriously difficult to work with

and you all call this a football board...what the freakin' hell!!!

I can't pick just one...he plays the tough, vicious, grizzled character with such heart and passion so very well, whether it be the hero or the villain.

Parts are written for him.  To a person like me who is far outside the industry that seems to be a very high honor.

Edited by JoeF

54 minutes ago, JoeF said:

and you all call this a football board...what the freakin' hell!!!

I can't pick just one...he plays the tough, vicious, grizzled character with such heart and passion so very well, whether it be the hero or the villain.

Parts are written for him.  To a person like me who is far outside the industry that seems to be a very high honor.

I was going to say Any Given Sunday, but I thought Oceans 13 was more ridiculous.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I was going to say Any Given Sunday, but I thought Oceans 13 was more ridiculous.

You mean you don't like dialog like...

"I know people.  People who can hurt you"

"I know all the people you would send to hurt me and they all like me better......"