Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting: Bills love Rosen (updated with new info)

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Logic said:

Three things: 

First, it's funny to hear that the Bills are into Rosen, since I ALREADY heard they were into Darnold. So let me get this straight: The Bills happen to like both of the consensus top 2 QBs in the draft? Get right out of town!

Second, I find it quite believable that the Bills would trade with the Giants, given the connections of Beane and Gettelman. In fact, I'd consider it the MOST likely scenario. Our two firsts this year and a first next year probably gets it done. I'm fine with the price if they really believe in one of the top QBs as a franchise guy.

Third, I find it quite reasonable that the Giants WOULD trade out of the second spot. I believe they load up on picks, build around Manning, and go for a QB to groom somewhere in round 2-4.

I am especially ok with the price of our two firsts this year and our first next year. That still leaves our two seconds to fill in obvious gaps at D-tackle and WR

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

That's suicide.  And honestly, I would hate to give up a 1st round pick next year too.  I hated it in the Watkins trade and I'd hate it now.  I hate not having a 1st round pick.  It just sucks.  If we trade all of that prepare to take a few steps back before going forward again.  Such a trade presupposes that we are only one player away and we are not.  I can see giving up 21 and 22 but not 2019 1st and another future 3rd.  If we give up all of that + Glenn then we've been had big time.

If they identify him as the next drew brees or Brady id give up all my picks the next 2 years and smile when done. I don't think a whole lot of people on here wouldn't. U can add pieces in free agency and have a franchise qb for a minimal contract for 5 years. Now im not saying Rosen is a brees or Brady but if mc dermott and Beane feel that he is why not do it. Yea its a big risk but after the past 17 years of 9-7, 8-8, 6-10 who cares this franchise needs a QB period. those guys haven't always had a lot of weapons or great O lines but they have been successful. A great Qb masks a lot of other issues.

34 minutes ago, Logic said:

Three things: 

First, it's funny to hear that the Bills are into Rosen, since I ALREADY heard they were into Darnold. So let me get this straight: The Bills happen to like both of the consensus top 2 QBs in the draft? Get right out of town!

Second, I find it quite believable that the Bills would trade with the Giants, given the connections of Beane and Gettelman. In fact, I'd consider it the MOST likely scenario. Our two firsts this year and a first next year probably gets it done. I'm fine with the price if they really believe in one of the top QBs as a franchise guy.

Third, I find it quite reasonable that the Giants WOULD trade out of the second spot. I believe they load up on picks, build around Manning, and go for a QB to groom somewhere in round 2-4.

Where did you hear this. I only saw Savior Peterman say it but may have missed a report from elsewhere 

53 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I agree with the overall notion of giving up the picks being worth it, but tough to make the point about not hitting on picks after watching White and Dawkins play last year. 

TreDavious White - Great
Zay Jones - Jury still out
Dion Dawkins - Good

Shaq Lawson - Disappointing
Reggie Ragland - Gone
Adolphus Washington - Marginal

Ronald Darby - Gone
John Miller - Marginal

Sammy Watkins - Gone
Cyrus Kouandjio - Bust/Gone
Preston Brown - Decent/UFA

EJ Manuel - BUST
Robert Woods - Gone
Kiko Alonso - Gone
Marquise Goodwin - Gone

Stephon Gilmore - Gone
Cordy Glenn - Good
TJ Graham - BUST/Gone

Marcell Dareus - Gone
Aaron Williams - RETIRED
Kelvin Sheppard - BUST(But we got Jerry Hughes for him)

CJ Spiller - Gone
Torrell Troup - BUST
Alex Carrington - Gone/Not even on a roster

Aaron Maybin - BUST
Eric Wood - Good/Retired
Jairus Byrd - Gone
Andy Levitre - Gone

Leodis McKelvin - Gone/Not even on a roster
James Hardy - BUST
Chris Ellis - BUST

Even when we've hit on 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks they haven't stuck around. Let's solve our QB situation and get out of NFL purgatory. Jim Kelly's last NFL season was in 1996. It's time to get aggressive. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Where did you hear this. I only saw Savior Peterman say it but may have missed a report from elsewhere 

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/12/rival_scouts_say_buffalo_bills_love_usc_quarterback_sam_darnold_report.html

Buffalo wouldn't be able to select Darnold with their current first round pick, but they could package draft picks to move up for the signal-caller. Would the Bills go all-in on Darnold? According to Bleacher Report's Matt Miller, rival scouts have told him that Buffalo loves the quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

SIAP

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/12/rival_scouts_say_buffalo_bills_love_usc_quarterback_sam_darnold_report.html

Buffalo wouldn't be able to select Darnold with their current first round pick, but they could package draft picks to move up for the signal-caller. Would the Bills go all-in on Darnold? According to Bleacher Report's Matt Miller, rival scouts have told him that Buffalo loves the quarterback.

Not at all surprised to see this,  but I still think they know they can’t get him because the Browns are taking him at 1. So he’s not really viable for them. Jmo. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

SIAP

Not at all surprised to see this,  but I still think they know they can’t get him because the Browns are taking him at 1. So he’s not really viable for them. Jmo. 

I don't know how credible they are, but I have heard that the Browns are considering taking a non-QB at 1, knowing that they can get one of the big four with the 4th pick. The same line of thinking states that Josh Allen is the apple of their eye. Something like pick 1 being Saquon Barkley, pick 4 being Allen. I'm not saying I lend any credence to this idea, but I've heard it floated.

I definitely WOULD believe the idea that Darnold is the ACTUAL favorite of the Bills. Everything about his off-field demeanor, christian faith, and general way of being seems more Bills-friendly than Rosen. Darnold seems like a "process" guy through and through.

2 hours ago, snamsnoops said:

High level meetings?  ;)

Because it will take at least 3 first round picks and more....the Bills will not be stupid enough to do it.   The Bills desperately need help at OL, WR, DL, LB, and RB.  The roster will have a have a huge turnover.   There will be a QB available without selling the farm.....and Beane will take him at 21 or 22.

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I'd be fine with it--Rosen is the best pure passer in the draft.

It'll be quite the hefty price to pay though, and I have my doubts as to whether or not the Giants would want to move down from 2.

If a deal could get done for either Rosen, Darnold or Mayfield I would be ecstatic. No doubt it would be expensive. I would give two firsts, a second, and another first or second for next year for any of these qbs. In two years the Bills will have a large cap space to work with and be able to add talent from the market. The key is to get a prospect in sooner so that you will be in a good position to maximize the expected infusion of talent. 

Galko reporting that McDermott isn't worried about Rosen's 'character concerns' put a smile on my face. I hope it's true because this kid has it all. Hearing Trent Dilfer talk about him after they butted heads during Elite 11 Camp was great. 

He's a Type A personality who wants to be the best and it's going to rub people the wrong way but we need brash and arrogant. All the great QB's have it. This also works for Baker Mayfield. They're the two best QB's in the Draft for a reason.

Josh Rosen has a great chance to be a better version of Matt Ryan. Who wouldn't be happy with that?

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

And you’re one of the few Bruins season ticket holders I know. So you’ve seen this guy a lot.

Not sure I’d like this move. 

I've seen every single snap he's taken. He's clearly the best physical qb talent in the draft. But it's his strange attitude and lack of passion for the game that scares the hell out of me. I saw first hand here in LA how much Mora protected Josh from the media. The hot tub in the dorm drips of spoiled entitlement.  He was injured every year at UCLA. 

Whether you want to admit it or not these are red flags.  Does he have a gun, yes. Would he rather play tennis at the country club over football?  Only time will tell. If we do go after him it will cost the Bills a Kings ransom. Take Darnold,  he reminds me of Jim.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I've seen every single snap he's taken. He's clearly the best physical qb talent in the draft. But it's his strange attitude and lack of passion for the game that scares the hell out of me. I saw first hand here in LA how much Mora protected Josh from the media. The hot tub in the dorm drips of spoiled entitlement.  He was injured every year at UCLA. 

Whether you want to admit it or not these are red flags.  Does he have a gun, yes. Would he rather play tennis at the country club over football?  Only time will tell. If we do go after him it will cost the Bills a Kings ransom.

Complaining about the hotbed thing is ridiculous imo. Gronk had a hottub in college, he also bought the house he was living in and trashed it thrown insane parties. Is he spoiled and entitled? No, he's Gronk so he's just a meathead. Perception just works against this guy 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

When was the Sam Bradford Trade?  And was Wentz recovering for a Knee. 

They are idiots if they move Foles without knowing Wentz is back (before the draft)

Exactly, they could wait until a good teams starter goes down and fleece them after pre-season starts.

I bet if they traded him before TC and PS they could still scheme a 1st out of somebody.

8 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Galko reporting that McDermott isn't worried about Rosen's 'character concerns' put a smile on my face. I hope it's true because this kid has it all. Hearing Trent Dilfer talk about him after they butted heads during Elite 11 Camp was great. 

He's a Type A personality who wants to be the best and it's going to rub people the wrong way but we need brash and arrogant. All the great QB's have it. This also works for Baker Mayfield. They're the two best QB's in the Draft for a reason.

Josh Rosen has a great chance to be a better version of Matt Ryan. Who wouldn't be happy with that?

Do we though? Or do we need a guy that fits into our cohesive locker room?

Odd that you would say we need brash and arrogant then compare him to Matt Ryan who is extremely humble. As is Aaron Rodgers. Drew Brees. Russell Wilson. Eli (and Peyton for that matter) both humble. Matter of fact aside from Brady, I can't honestly think of that "brash arrogant" QB in today's game. 

He is the best passer in the draft, I don't dispute that. And if he devoted himself to the game he could be phenomenal. He could also retire early to protect himself for life after football. To me it seems he would care about the "Rosen Brand" rather than the team. Can DEFINITELY see him making "business decisions" on the field. 

I have no problem giving up what it would take to get up to 2 or 3 and draft Darnold if the Browns pass. I have no issue moving up to take Mayfield. Rosen/Allen to me are too big of risks to invest that much in.

25 minutes ago, Loosh said:

Because it will take at least 3 first round picks and more....the Bills will not be stupid enough to do it.   The Bills desperately need help at OL, WR, DL, LB, and RB.  The roster will have a have a huge turnover.   There will be a QB available without selling the farm.....and Beane will take him at 21 or 22.

Its QB

When you are trying to get a franchise guy this is the cost.   The cost is temporary and we will have cap room to fill holes.

I say do it if we can.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

How could they not be happy with both? 

Well one would think they would be. However no telling. Bills could think it is Rosen And then the rest clumped together. 

For example if they think Darnold, Allen, Rudolph Mayfield etc are all the next tier and close in grades no way they pull a trigger immediately to get to No 2 unless they know their getting Rosen