Time to rebuild

The drought ending was a nice story but next year this team will suck barring they someone get a really good qb. This team doesn’t have a lot of upcoming good young players outside of Dawkins and white. Milano is a bit of a stretch but has been ok so far. This team needs a lot of work and any more trades that could bring additional picks would be welcome at this point. Embrace the tank guys and girls because I think we have the right people in the fo to start to turn this around in the next 2 to 3 Years. 

1 hour ago, HT02 said:

This is a pretty pessimistic view of the situation

• Bills do need a QB
  • RB's aren't the most difficult position to fill
  • While I like Woods Ryan Groy did a nice job filling in two years ago.  The line needs help but played pretty well later in the season
  • Kyle is beloved but his play wasn't what it was in his prime.
  • The WR's are bad is the same thing we heard the year before but somehome Robert Woods and Marguise Goodwin became stars when they had a solid QB throwing the ball to them.
  • LB need help but that can be found
  • There is some talent under 25 beside White and we have lots of draft picks as of now. (Dion Dawkings, Zay Jones Matt Milano to name a few)

No more rebuilding

Woods had basically the same stats as he did in 2014 here, just had a 94 yard TD and national exposure since the Rams were the NFL darlings this year.

He had about 80 more yards and the same number of TDs. In fact I'd argue he was more productive here in 2014 since we were a run heavy team whereas his stats were inflated in LA with them being a much more pass heavy team.

But I guess people believe what they want to believe regardless of the truth.

Edited by matter2003
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

200w.gif

and 

giphy.gif

and passing over Watson and Mahomes for the trade back.      

Beg to differ. 1st a completely underachieving WR with all the talent in the world ( oh and he didn't do crap in LA either in case you didn't see) and Then a fat lazy overpaid lineman who was not worth half the overblown contract he had here( and before you say look at him in Jax. The rest of the front 7 is much better than Buffalo's). Beane was being smart for the club and following his plan for having the nucleus of this team be young. Next year we have a bunch of cap space and most of the dead weight will be gone. If Beane listened to fans this team would never pull out of this crap.

Edited by BeefCurtns

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

You could argue that other Bills teams had more talent and never made the playoffs then this team,  either way there is lots to do and it all starts with the QB.  My fear is the Bills will be afraid to trade up to get the best QB then can because they have so many holes to fill on this roster.  Everyone knows it starts and ends with the QB

Hate to break it to you but you need an O Line. The QB is very important but without a solid O Line you are wasting your time, just ask the Colts

Image result for andrew luck injured

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

The drought ending was a nice story but next year this team will suck barring they someone get a really good qb. This team doesn’t have a lot of upcoming good young players outside of Dawkins and white. Milano is a bit of a stretch but has been ok so far. This team needs a lot of work and any more trades that could bring additional picks would be welcome at this point. Embrace the tank guys and girls because I think we have the right people in the fo to start to turn this around in the next 2 to 3 Years. 

Playoff teams do not do that obnoxious T word that posters like you use to draw attention to themselves.

55 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I'd argue we've never honestly tried to rebuild.  Over the last 20 years we've rarely been in a position to draft top 5, never 1, and the times we have we never took a QB.  The only QBs we've drafted highly were in the middle/end of the 1st round (EJ / Losman) and even then everyone knew it was a reach taking them.  We've rarely traded veteran players for draft picks, instead either letting them walk in FA in their primes (and then drafting a replacement) or holding onto them until it was clear they had very little left.  Most of the teams over the last 20 years have been the same, good enough to be assured of 6 wins, bad enough to never win more than 9 games, ie never bad enough to completely turn off fans but never good enough to give legitimate hope of anything more than a token playoff appearance.  

we have been putting a bandage on a wound that required a tourniquet.  there is not a qb i would take in the first round.  shore up both lines.  would love to see rb rashard penny and shady together.  i know we need a qb, but none the college guys do not deserve a first  round selection.

20 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'd run not walk my card up to the podium if Lamar Jackson is there at 21.

Jackson is the only qb worth taking in the first that has a chance to fall to 21, imo.  I am hoping we sign a good DT in FA and some Oline help.  Personally, I want to trade up to secure one of the better qbs.  This becomes more palatable if you've filled some significant holes in free agency.  Fella who is arguing against trading up for the fourth best qb is missing the point.  If this draft has four potential franchise qbs, you should trade up to get one.  Getting fourth best is only bad if there are only one or two or no franchise qbs available.  (I see that you may be the fella I was thinking of, though you say top five.  The number really doesn't matter.  You judge the quality of the player.  If there's a qb you believe in, go get him if possible.  It's the hardest position to secure.)

Edited by Dr. Who

It's not a rebuild, but this is a tear down like after the '99 season. We have decent cap space this year and a helluva lot projected for next offseason.

“We’re in better position than they were a year before,” said Beane last week. “But we’re not out of the woods. We’re still working on it. We’re still massaging it. With some of the moves we made, we still have to eat some dead money. But it’s heading the right direction. 2018 was better than 2017. I foresee 2019 being a little rosier than 2018.”

the Bills will carry $18.72 million in dead money into the upcoming league year, the highest figure among the 32 NFL franchises.

This offseason, more daunting decisions face Beane and the rest of the Bills’ brass when it comes to figuring out the salary cap situation. Left tackle Cordy Glenn and his $14.45 million salary cap hit for 2018 could potentially be viewed as an expendable contract thanks to the solid rookie season put forth by Dion Dawkins.

At the quarterback position, much-maligned signal caller Tyrod Taylor could be released before March 17 (the third day of the league year) in a move that would save the Bills over $9 million. If the team cuts Taylor and doesn’t spend that amount (or more) of money on a viable veteran quarterback (think Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith), the team will have some flexibility to spend in free agency.

I think it is apparent that we will address a QB this offseason and my guess will be through the draft with a few more of the expensive players leaving. TT & Glenn I think are obvious, I could see us moving on from Lorax & even Hughes, but it depends on how fast they want to tear down the next section of the team and I would expect picks in next year's draft for them. 

A few tweets from Greg G this am:

Greg Gabriel @greggabe 2h2 hours ago
Said it last week and all repeat now. I doubt Dorsey takes a QB at 1. He’ll take the best FB player on Browns board then come back and take a QB at 4 ( if he doesn’t sign one in FA). That’s smart drafting

Greg Gabriel @greggabe 2h2 hours ago
There is no way a QB in this draft is going to be the #1 player on any teams board. You get better by selecting the best players

Greg Gabriel @greggabe 1h1 hour ago
Chubb and Fitzpatrick are easily better than any QB in this draft. Can come up with many others also

Greg Gabriel @greggabe 39m39 minutes ago
I get that editors want them but a mock draft before the Combine and the first wave of free agency is a total exercise in futility and waste of important time

22 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Hate to break it to you but you need an O Line. The QB is very important but without a solid O Line you are wasting your time, just ask the Colts

Image result for andrew luck injured

all the football minds say offensive line but nobody wants to rebuild it that way...

The Bills have 5 picks in the first three rounds. That should be 5 players that can either start right away or start within a year. One of the first or second round picks should be a QB. Add a couple pieces in free agency this off season and next off season. The Bils should be contending for the division within two seasons if they find the right QB. 

This makes zero sense they are rebuilding which is why they traded Darby/Watkins/Dareus. They just happened to finally get some competent coaching and luck that finally led to a playoff year.

They could go 6-10 7-9 next year and it wouldn't be a failure to me in the least given the fact they are reseting the talent base right now.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

So they should trade up and waste draft picks to get the 5th best QB? Doesnt sound like a smart decision to me. There are gonna be teams that are gonna take a QB and won't trade out regardless of what we offer.

You should let the Eagles know that. No sense in trying to get Wentz because some guy on a message board named matter already said they won't be able to trade up and it's not smart.  

There is no greater need than QB, all those other pieces will fall into place after that. I like Matt Milano at LB, I think he could have a bright future, the secondary looks good, our WR core is far fetched since both Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones are a pretty good start but we'll just need that WR now who can take the top off a defense with his speed, runningback depth can be found everywhere, pass rush and OL need to be priority 1-2 after the QB is addressed imo.

I would like to see them do it right for once.

Build around a franchise worthy QB.

IMO.

2018 draft should be all about going all in on a QB other then Rex choice at QB or backup talents from around the league. Move up do whatever they have to land the one they covet. Waiting around for a good QB to drop into there laps is a huge reason why Whaley got fired. Later round picks at QB are huge longshots, go get us a dam QB in round one, enough with Whaleys purgatory.

Good teams build around a top talent at QB first, building the rest of the team first will not get you a good QB it will get you good players that will be ready to leave on year 3 for bigger contracts when you decide to add a better QB into the mix. Sadly they never get to that point of going for a better QB because every season this team needs a bunch of players and gives itself excuses as to why they never draft a top QB. Spiller,Watkins, MD and so on, what a waste of 1st round picks.

2018 FA should be interesting but not over the top in spending, just fill in and make do with what is here because spending big money on a 3 year player IMO should be 2019 after a season of the rookie QB bumps in learning while seeing what players go good with his style of play.

2019 is the time to spend bigger in FA while having plenty of draft picks to make this a younger team. 2019 will also have rookie QB from 2018 more seasoned and ready to really compete.

Go get us a real talent at QB, one that teams don't laugh at because they made him be a QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1