Schefter: Washington Considering the Franchise Tag for Cousins

41 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They might try to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick in 2018 in exchange for his rights. Risky proposition unless they work out a deal in advance with another team. 

Agreed.

They're playing a dangerous game.

Somebody will offer something though, and they'll take it because they don't want $50mil tied up in two QBs.

It's a real fun*kjob on cousins though, because then he can't control his destination.

Maybe they will run a 2qb backfield though, like a wildcat formation , only with two QBs, and nobody knows who it's getting snapped to, since they don't have any real good RB (this is a joke btw)

Side note: Scott mccloughlin just signed on with the browns.

Guess Kirk isn't going there since Scott doesn't like him

1 hour ago, Yo no se said:

I would love if They did this and the rest of the NFL called their bluff. $34 million dollar backup. 

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

If they can’t trade him while under the tag, wouldn’t they ha don’t like 55 million tied up to Qbs next year.. lol

35 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Two 1sts will not happen after the announcement of the Alex Smith deal. 

I don’t see what one has to do with the other. Teams are still going to have to outbid other teams for him. They absolutely could get 2 firsts for him. The whole franchise tag thing seems a little unrealistic to me but I guess we will see.

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I don’t see what one has to do with the other. Teams are still going to have to outbid other teams for him. They absolutely could get 2 firsts for him. The whole franchise tag thing seems a little unrealistic to me but I guess we will see.

They are intertwined and I don't see how you or anyone else wouldn't get that point. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Nobody is going to give up 2 1st round picks to pay him $35 million for one year and risk letting him go for nothing a year later. They'll be lucky to get anything at all IMO.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

No team is paying 2 1sts for Kirk Cousins when they could just wait a year and pay nothing.

If they don’t have to wait a year and lose him to another team? Yeah they would. That’s how it works. A team that thinks he would pick Denver, has a shot to force their way in there now. The Browns could swing in and get him rather then wait a year and watch him go somewhere better.

55 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Washington could not trade him until he signs the franchise tag, and if Cousins wanted, he could delay signing it for weeks or even months, with the Redskins having to count his approximate $34.5 million against their salary cap. (HINDERING  THEIR OWN ABILITY TO SIGN FREE AGENTS)

Cousins also could tell any of Washington's potential trade partners that he is unwilling to sign a long-term deal there, dampening that team's enthusiasm for surrendering a top draft pick for his services and holding up any potential trade.

If Washington decided to pull the franchise tag to get Cousins' contract off its salary cap, it would lose the right to recoup a 2019 compensatory draft pick that it would get if Cousins were able to leave right away as a free agent. So tagging Cousins would undoubtedly carry risk. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22315705/washington-redskins-consider-placing-franchise-tag-kirk-cousins

This sums it all well.  Cousins holds the leverage:j. ust refuse to sign the franchise or sign the franchise and declare loudly he will not report until the preseason ends plus not resign with that team. 

I do not see any risk adverse teams taking a chance.

Just now, DCOrange said:

Nobody is going to give up 2 1st round picks to pay him $35 million for one year and risk letting him go for nothing a year later. They'll be lucky to get anything at all IMO.

I don’t see any of it happening so we will probably never know. If he became available in a trade I pretty much guarantee you a team would be willing to move 2 firsts. Carson palmer got 3 firsts. A team like the Browns has plenty of money and plenty of picks. I could see the Browns giving them their 19 and 20 firsts or something.

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If they don’t have to wait a year and lose him to another team? Yeah they would. That’s how it works. A team that thinks he would pick Denver, has a shot to force their way in there now. The Browns could swing in and get him rather then wait a year and watch him go somewhere better.

You do realize Kirk would have to agree to the deal?!?!

He knows he is getting 35 million and will be able to pick his team in a year.  Good luck getting him to sign before that.

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Your understanding of the position that Washington is in is way off.  No way they'll get two firsts or even one with the Smith trade announced. Teams know they won't have both Smith and Cousins on their roster and that lessens what they can ask for.