Schefter: Washington Considering the Franchise Tag for Cousins

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

If I’m Cousins I’d have a pen glued to my writing hand and be ready to sign in an instant! 

Why?  You sign, sure, you get paid $34.5M guaranteed. 

Cousins has been quite vocal about saying that money is not the most important thing to him, he wants to win, and he wants FA.

Once Captain Kirk autographs the tag, he's Washington's meat once more.  They can trade him to anyone, for any return. 

Even Schefter points out that Cousins holds a lot of leverage by refusing to sign if Washington tags him.

6 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

does he want to compete against rodgers and stafford every year? or rivers, mahomes and david carr?  i'd think he picks denver. 

I'm Cousins, I want the best chance to win.   It's not Stafford I'm facing, it's the Lions D which has been consistently "meh" for a decade except for 2014.

Likewise, it's not Rodgers, it's the Packers D, "meh" since 2010.    I'm on the Vikings, I'm on the other side of a D that is pretty stout, sent Rodgers home for a plate, and shut Stafford down pretty well last season.  I look at the game they lost to the Lions and say "7 points, yeah, I could do more". 

Meanwhile, the Chiefs have been fielding a pretty good D (it fell off this year and they're trying to regroup), the Chargers pass rush is evil and they're a team on the upswing that might be tough for a while.  And I'm personally skeptical, but the Raiders just hired a coaching legend.

Vikes went to the Championship this year, man!  Denver went to play Madden!

Nit: do you mean Derek Carr?

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The thread title was pretty tricky. :lol:

....Snyder is such a sly dawg........the epitome of a football guru owner....maybe he can be Bethard's HOF presenter and Bobby can cite how DumbDan has carried on the Deadskins legacy of Jack Kent Cooke/George Allen and GM Bobby himself....

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....Snyder is such a sly dawg........the epitome of a football guru owner....maybe he can be Bethard's HOF presenter and Bobby can cite how DumbDan has carried on the Deadskins legacy of Jack Kent Cooke/George Allen and GM Bobby himself....

Only if lil'danny and Bruce are allowed to introduce Beathard together. :sick:

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?  You sign, sure, you get paid $34.5M guaranteed. 

Cousins has been quite vocal about saying that money is not the most important thing to him, he wants to win, and he wants FA.

Once Captain Kirk autographs the tag, he's Washington's meat once more.  They can trade him to anyone, for any return. 

Even Schefter points out that Cousins holds a lot of leverage by refusing to sign if Washington tags him.

If it’s ME, that’s why. He’s played this whole thing very well from a financial perspective, and I fully understand HE can other priorities but the one year guaranteed for well above market rates is appealing to ME too. I wonder how much everybody is just posturing here, but we’ll never really know...

It’s a serious gamble for the Redskins, but saying it and doing it are two different things. This should be interesting, even if the Bills are not involved. 

4 hours ago, Koko78 said:

The problem is that if no one wants to pick up the $34 million salary in the trade, the Deadskins just sunk ~25% of their salary cap after trading for Alex Smith.

You may be right, but my thought is the Skins would say, “We’ve got 3 teams all willing to trade for you and if you do, you can help us make the pick of your next destination. Furthermore, you’ll get the new contract up front. If you don’t, you sit and we don’t pay, up to you”. 

So, Cousins has leverage, but not to the point where he completely determines his own fate without some input from FO. 

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

You may be right, but my thought is the Skins would say, “We’ve got 3 teams all willing to trade for you and if you do, you can help us make the pick of your next destination. Furthermore, you’ll get the new contract up front. If you don’t, you sit and we don’t pay, up to you”. 

So, Cousins has leverage, but not to the point where he completely determines his own fate without some input from FO. 

...not sure which is MORE nauseating...hearing about Cousins daily or Tesla........BOTH are WAAAAAY overrated unless you ask THEM (COUGH)..........

5 hours ago, DCOrange said:

You think someone offers a 3rd round pick if Cousins says he won't sign an extension and this team has to pay him $35 million for a one year rental?

I'd think Cousisns would rather be signed longterm which is what would be worked out after the tag is signed, Cousins would then work out a long term deal with said team and the 34.5M deal would be voided.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They should just let him hit UFA and recoup a comp pick in the '19 draft.

If Cousins signs the Franchise Tag, wouldn’t the Skins eventually have to cut him, anyway, if they can’t find a trade partner? 

Edited by JaCrispy

Just now, JaCrispy said:

If Cousins signs the Franchise Tag, wouldn’t the Skins eventually have to cut him, anyway, if they can’t find a trade partner? 

Doubt it would come to that, but they'd be under the gun to find a suitable team that he'd agree to negotiate a long term deal with. 

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

If Cousins signs the tag the money is guaranteed.

If the skins cut him they can designate a post June cut which would split the dead cap over this year and next.

To tell you the truth...............I hope the skins are stupid enough to do this.

Cousins signs and sits...................the way the skins have treated Cousins with low ball offers (especially in 2016) no team would blame him.

To give a perspective of how much 35 million is, Josh McCown has been in the NFL for 16 years and "only" has made a total of 39 million.

Sorry Jay, not ranting about your post it's just this whole Redskin thing of trying to get something from a problem they created just gets to me.

Snyder is such an idiot.