Schefter: Washington Considering the Franchise Tag for Cousins

56 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I understand the situation completely. Again, all of this is irrelevant because it’s not going to happen. If I’m theory it did however, there would be several teams offering the same compensation for Cousins. In order to stand out and make it happen, I believe someone would have to offer two firsts. Again, it’s not going to happen so it really isn’t worth 5 posts.  A team like the Browns would probably desperately overpay in picks for him, for the chance to have him on their team this year and attempt a long term deal. If they wait for FA, he’s not going there.

I doubt anybody pays anything like two firsts for the "chance" to sign him for a long-term deal. Without an actual agreement, not even close. And you can bet Cousins would make it clear he wouldn't be signing any agreements, even if down the road with the right team he actually might. But he'd say he wouldn't, and then nobody would give the two firsts.

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That seems to be his number 1 choice. It’s not that surprising that he wants to go to the best team lookin for a QB. The Vikings situation will be interesting. 

If the Vikes are interested in him, that would seem like a location Captain Kirk should definitely consider.  On the Vikes side: Good OL, good WR, stout D, stable HC situation, contended for the NFC championship this year.  On Cousins side: he can argue he's an upgrade with a track record of being better for longer than any of their three FA QB.  

The Vikes also have an organizational history of trying to push themselves 'over the top' by bringing in FA QB (Moon, George, Brad Johnson, Favre, Cassel).  I know it's a different coach and GM now, but I think the back rows of the organization and their thinking patterns do linger, making the whole thing more organizationally acceptable.

Cousins has been in Minn. all week with plenty of chance for "casual football chats" with Vikes coaches and FO folks, hee hee

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If he thinks it's best for him then yes. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

And so should he, sign the tag.

It depends on his mindstate brehs.

He made what 30 mill the passed 2 seasons?

He probobly doesnt want to lose a year of his career sitting on the bench for 34 mill.

Yeah it sounds great to us financially  but he might have ambition for his career and time is something you can never get back.

Some value career goals over monetary payment. Thats a deciding factor in situations like this.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

We've been through multiple threads about this.

They are cast offs for a reason.

None are a solution.

None are a solution, but Bradford (if healthy, and that's a giant "If") and Keenum are arguably better QB than Taylor.

I am unpersuaded they are better QB for us, unless we throw lots of hosses at upgrading OL, WR, and TE

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Come on man! Not in his charcter to do that. 

That wouldn't be the case for very long with the demand being so high for his services and they could wait until Cousins is gone before extending Alex Smith. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

How does that work, is the contract not signed as the link indicates? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, teams cannot even temporarily be over the cap with their top 54 players. How many players would the team need to cut to get under the cap?

Doubling down on stupid for the win ;) 

So they wind up stuck with 45-50m worth of mediocrity at Qb.

The big question is if no one is stupid enough to take a tagged KC off their hands will they have enough cap to field a decent roster?.

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

How does that work, is the contract not signed as the link indicates? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, teams cannot even temporarily be over the cap with their top 54 players. How many players would the team need to cut to get under the cap?

The trade isn't official yet as it cannot be completed until March 14th when the new league year begins.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The trade isn't official yet as it cannot be completed until March 14th when the new league year begins.

So you expect Washington not submit the contract? You're living in a dream world.  

They won't and I wouldn't be surprised if something like that raised the hackles of the NFL for circumventing the cap.

Edited by Cripple Creek

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

None are a solution, but Bradford (if healthy, and that's a giant "If") and Keenum are arguably better QB than Taylor.

I am unpersuaded they are better QB for us, unless we throw lots of hosses at upgrading OL, WR, and TE

Agreed.

If we get any of their QBs I expect a short term beige deal, with us to draft a real QB prospect behind them (not a 5th round lotto ticket)

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So you expect Washington not submit the contract? You're living in a dream world.  

They won't and I wouldn't be surprised if something like that raised the hackles of the NFL for circumventing the cap.

If either team backs out expect the heavy hammer of Roger to fall.  

It hasnt been that long since the Skins overcame their last sal cap screw up.    

(The uncapped season fiasco) 

5 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

They don't have to extend Smith right away as he has an existing contract already in place.  What are you even talking about? 

17 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I doubt anybody pays anything like two firsts for the "chance" to sign him for a long-term deal. Without an actual agreement, not even close. And you can bet Cousins would make it clear he wouldn't be signing any agreements, even if down the road with the right team he actually might. But he'd say he wouldn't, and then nobody would give the two firsts.

This, but also....

There's an element of "either, or - not both" in picks vs a huge free agent signing.  Put in simplistic terms, under the Cap system, you can probably pay an outrageous salary to a QB AND keep a team around him if you draft wisely and have crackerjack player evaluation talent to keep bringing in lower price talent.  OR you can burn picks to draft a QB (as Philly did) and make judicious use of FA signings to put a team around him.

But you can't do both.  You can't give up 2 1st round picks, AND pay the big bucks to a FA QB, and expect to field a strong team. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They don't have to extend Smith right away as he has an existing contract already in place.  What are you even talking about? 

What I am talking about is a reportedly signed contract extension that is widely reported on. What are you talking about?

Edit...I give up. You say stupid things then are too stupid to back down.  Have at it.

Edited by Cripple Creek

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If they don’t have to wait a year and lose him to another team? Yeah they would. That’s how it works. A team that thinks he would pick Denver, has a shot to force their way in there now. The Browns could swing in and get him rather then wait a year and watch him go somewhere better.

And that means he won't sign a long term deal with that team because he doesn't want to play there. No team will give even 1 first round pick for a 1 year, $35 M rental. Get it now?

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

What I am talking about is a reportedly signed contract extension that is widely reported on. What are you talking about?

Edit...I give up. You say stupid things then are too stupid to back down.  Have at it.

You're apparently too stupid to know the difference to what as been agreed upon and that it can't be signed with the trade being unofficial.