Schefter: Washington Considering the Franchise Tag for Cousins

I just don’t see the Redskins even bothering here. They would just get screwed by Cousins one way or another.

1 minute ago, Ittakestime said:

You do realize Kirk would have to agree to the deal?!?!

He knows he is getting 35 million and will be able to pick his team in a year.  Good luck getting him to sign before that.

Agree to what deal? A trade between the Redskins and Browns? Why? He has a no trade clause? The guy doesn’t even have a contract.

2 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I just don’t see the Redskins even bothering here. They would just get screwed by Cousins one way or another.

Agree to what deal? A trade between the Redskins and Browns? Why? He has a no trade clause? The guy doesn’t even have a contract.

In order to get the two firsts as comp, Cousins has to sign with another team first.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Your understanding of the position that Washington is in is way off.  No way they'll get two firsts or even one with the Smith trade announced. Teams know they won't have both Smith and Cousins on their roster and that lessens what they can ask for.

I understand the situation completely. Again, all of this is irrelevant because it’s not going to happen. If I’m theory it did however, there would be several teams offering the same compensation for Cousins. In order to stand out and make it happen, I believe someone would have to offer two firsts. Again, it’s not going to happen so it really isn’t worth 5 posts.  A team like the Browns would probably desperately overpay in picks for him, for the chance to have him on their team this year and attempt a long term deal. If they wait for FA, he’s not going there.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that Cousins should just sign the tag and be like “cool.” I’ll just back up Alex Smith and make $35M or whatever it is. I’d fake an injury early in the year (nothing serious though) so that I didn’t have to play and hit FA again next year $35M richer. 

This is exactly what I would do if I were Cousins.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I understand the situation completely. Again, all of this is irrelevant because it’s not going to happen. If I’m theory it did however, there would be several teams offering the same compensation for Cousins. In order to stand out and make it happen, I believe someone would have to offer two firsts. Again, it’s not going to happen so it really isn’t worth 5 posts.  A team like the Browns would probably desperately overpay in picks for him, for the chance to have him on their team this year and attempt a long term deal. If they wait for FA, he’s not going there.

Repeat after me:

The twitterbot knows all.

28 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Teams would have a hard time paying Cousins $25 to $28 mil as it is.  

Trying to find the $35 mil (that people are referencing) is even crazier.  

jets and browns and maybe Vikings are the only ones with that much capital.  

I don't think teams will have any issue paying Cousins $25+ million. Carr is being paid $25 million, Palmer got $24 million this past year. Don't forget someone like Flacco is being paid $24 million too. Mid-20 million seems to be the average ballpark for a starting QB that has some reasonable success. Cousins has had some success in his career w/ a mediocre team (avg 4500yds 81td 36int the past 3 seasons). Someone will pony up for that. That number listed seems to be going toward the norm for a starting QB. 

Yeah, they could consider it, but if I'm Cousins, I make it clear ... do it.

I'll sign the tag, take your $34 mill, turn down any trades and spend the season getting in shape and preparing for everything to start next year. I signed the tag the last two years, and I'll do it again. But I won't do it till as late as possible so you won't be able to plan or actually work the trade.

"Considering" is the right word. They might think about it, but they won't do it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Your understanding of the position that Washington is in is way off.  No way they'll get two firsts or even one with the Smith trade announced. Teams know they won't have both Smith and Cousins on their roster and that lessens what they can ask for.

It's all hypothetical, but if multiple teams get in a bidding war, then it doesn't matter what Washington got Smith for.

That would just be a starting point.

41 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

They just signed Scott mccloughlin, Kirk's former GM, who is on record not thinking cousins is franchise material.

Unless the owner overrides him, I don't see the browns in play.

The rest is a solid point though, and could apply to any team who wants him, I just don't see it being Cleveland now

Just now, SouthNYfan said:

It's all hypothetical, but if multiple teams get in a bidding war, then it doesn't matter what Washington got Smith for.

That would just be a starting point.

They just signed Scott mccloughlin, Kirk's former GM, who is on record not thinking cousins is franchise material.

Unless the owner overrides him, I don't see the browns in play.

The rest is a solid point though, and could apply to any team who wants him, I just don't see it being Cleveland now

Oh it matters.  Teams would go to a certain point and then just wait Washington out.   End then end they should just let him go as a UFA and take the 2019 comp pick. 

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

In addition, the team that will be trading for him will be sending a 2nd presumably. If that is where he wants to go wouldn’t he be better off there if they had another 2nd? He shouldn’t do ANYTHING to help Washington.

This is a valid point.  Other things being equal, why not be a nice guy and help Washington, but in a trade, other things aren't equal.  The team he's joining would be weakening itself by sending Washington a pick(s), a player(s), or both.  Why would Cousins want to see his future team weakened in any way?

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Oh it matters.  Teams would go to a certain point and then just wait Washington out.   End then end they should just let him go as a UFA and take the 2019 comp pick. 

I def agree it matters a lot.

I just think that if a couple of teams get into a bidding war, all bets might be off.

It just matters where Washington sets their reserve at.

If the skins are demanding 2+ first round picks, but nobody is willing to give that, even with a bidding war, then you're right.

But what if, hypothetical situation, Minnesota, az, and Denver are all in, and willing to go 2+ first rounders?

The Smith deal sets a floor, but it doesn't set a ceiling.