Chiefs trade Alex Smith to washington

Castellar

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I haven’t read your previous posts for context, but if Taylor is running the offense the way he wants, how can McDermott be unhappy with it?  

Priority #1:  Protect the football

MMQB or one of those football sites (don't feel like searching for it, but it was widely reported) have reported that McDermott is practically obsessed with not turning the football over on offense.  Obviously, that's Taylor's greatest asset.

Now in this "process" McDermott keeps preaching, I'm sure he wants significantly more production as an offense, which is going to involve drafting a QB who can come in as our long term answer to execute the offense at a very high level.  But in the meantime, he fired the OC from last year and brought in a guy who just worked with a QB who's significantly more limited than even Taylor is and helped get Alabama to a National Championship with that QB.

Besides, do great coaches often come out and publicly and actually say they're "happy?"  Does Bill Belicheck ever do that?

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Where are you getting that KC gave up a 2019 3rd?  The projection is that Washington gains a 2019 3rd as a comp pick when Cousins departs via UFA. 

Didn't read it correctly 

but if you offset the 3rds might be washingtons thinking fuller for smith 

if they get the comp pick 

13 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Which explanation I've given in the past are you saying doesn't make any sense?  I really don't know which you're talking about.  Can you tell me the explanation and try not to give me what you think I meant?

I've never said McDermott is happy with the offense under Taylor, as you seem to imply.  If I've said he's happy, can you find me actually saying that?

Lack of turnovers

Contract that was built perfectly as a bridge to a drafted QB as it expires next year

Last year's OC fired

Now the one guy I thought was the most legitimate vet QB option for us has been traded

It's funny that you say I'm thinking emotionally and not logically in this whole situation about whether McDermott and the Bills move on from him or not this offseason because I'd argue you're doing that yourself.

I'm not really emotional about this because I want to upgrade over Taylor.  But I don't think we're going to make the same mistake we did back with Fitz and EJ when we cut off our nose to spite our face.

I'm not sure if I ever said the word happy.  

The conflicting statement came when I asked you in a previous thread if McDermott was satisfied with the 1 TD per game average at the end of the season.

You said "Yup" because he just wanted a lead.  But McDermott just a week or so before said scoring points was a legitimate concern.  So that's the conflicting statement....he wasn't just happy with just a lead.  He wanted more points.

11 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

if smith can get 24 then cousins is worth 27 or whatever. if our gm can put together a similar draft this year as they did last year with all the extra picks...success

Alex has proven a whole lot more in this league- I am very interested to see if there is a GM out there that feels Cousins is worth more. We have already seen Washington vote

23 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Which explanation I've given in the past are you saying doesn't make any sense?  I really don't know which you're talking about.  Can you tell me the explanation and try not to give me what you think I meant?

I've never said McDermott is happy with the offense under Taylor, as you seem to imply.  If I've said he's happy, can you find me actually saying that?

Lack of turnovers

Contract that was built perfectly as a bridge to a drafted QB as it expires next year

Last year's OC fired

Now the one guy I thought was the most legitimate vet QB option for us has been traded

It's funny that you say I'm thinking emotionally and not logically in this whole situation about whether McDermott and the Bills move on from him or not this offseason because I'd argue you're doing that yourself.

I'm not really emotional about this because I want to upgrade over Taylor.  But I don't think we're going to make the same mistake we did back with Fitz and EJ when we cut off our nose to spite our face.

Here it is Trans.

Trans.jpg

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Alex has proven a whole lot more in this league- I am very interested to see if there is a GM out there that feels Cousins is worth more. We have already seen Washington vote

do you really trust the skins management?  alex has proven what? have you seen the defenses he's had in kc?top five for years and he just manages the offense.  he's not the guy

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Don't shoot the messenger

free agency doesnt start for 6 weeks. this would be a good way for them to get penalized and lose their first rounder

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not sure if I ever said the word happy.  

The conflicting statement came when I asked you in a previous thread if McDermott was satisfied with the 1 TD per game average at the end of the season.

You said "Yup" because he just wanted a lead.  But McDermott just a week or so before said scoring points was a legitimate concern.  So that's the conflicting statement....he wasn't just happy with just a lead.  He wanted more points.

Not gonna bother trying to track that statement down, but I'm sure, as always, that was mixed in with a whole bunch of other conversations.

So I'll just put it this way...

If we win a game 7-3, I think McDermott is happy.

If we lose a game 24-26, I think McDermott is unhappy.

I think there are coaches that care about an offense being "on" for entire games and those are usually offensive coaches like McVay and Pederson and also Bellicheck.

I think McDermott, based on watching our offense just go uber-conservative with leads, doesn't care at all about how many points we score as long as we have more than the other team.

That's what I think based on the 2017 team that I watched.

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Not gonna bother trying to track that statement down, but I'm sure, as always, that was mixed in with a whole bunch of other conversations.

So I'll just put it this way...

If we win a game 7-3, I think McDermott is happy.

If we lose a game 24-26, I think McDermott is unhappy.

I think there are coaches that care about an offense being "on" for entire games and those are usually offensive coaches like McVay and Pederson and also Bellicheck.

I think McDermott, based on watching our offense just go uber-conservative with leads, doesn't care at all about how many points we score as long as we have more than the other team.

That's what I think based on the 2017 team that I watched.

So was he unhappy or happy  with our offensive production when we were 5-4 heading to LA to play the Chargers?

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

do you really trust the skins management?  alex has proven what? have you seen the defenses he's had in kc?top five for years and he just manages the offense.  he's not the guy

I trust nobody in this day and age lets a potential franchise QB walk away in lieu of a known game manager that’s already plateaued and considerably older for similar contract commitment that it would’ve taken to stay put. 

So if it’s a fact ‘Alex isn’t the guy’ Then what does what just happened tell you about the other guy? 

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

free agency doesnt start for 6 weeks. this would be a good way for them to get penalized and lose their first rounder

Some people on Twitter were speculating it could be a trade they're discussing, which would not break any rules

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Here it is Trans.

Trans.jpg

Yeah... he's darn happy with 7 points if the other team has less.  I think that's accurate.

Although I was talking about an individual game us winning 7-0, which doesn't seem like what you brought up here and, by the way, is not even remotely close to a sustainable average for a winning team, so now you're talking about "averaging 7 points in the 2nd half" which is very different than averaging 7 points per game.

You keep changing the discussion.

McDermott is happy with a Win.

It's that simple.

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I trust nobody in this day and age lets a potential franchise QB walk away in lieu of a known game manager that’s already plateaued and considerably older for similar contract commitment that it would’ve taken to stay put. 

So if it’s a fact ‘Alex isn’t the guy’ Then what does what just happened tell you about the other guy? 

it tells me the skins are making a monumentally bad decision.  we can go back forth. what cousins has done the past few years shows he is a very good qb. no qb wins games by himself...even the almighty drew brees had a worse record than tyrod over a couple years because he had no defense. then they bring a few guys on defense and fix it and bam they win a bunch of games. get a team around kirk...that he didn't have in dc...and he will go from the 9-7 guy to 12-4 guy. 

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Some people on Twitter were speculating it could be a trade they're discussing, which would not break any rules

that's what it would have to be. interesting

12 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Don't shoot the messenger

Not remotely surprising.

I never thought we would get Cousins, but if this actually does happen... man... the only viable vet QB options left that anyone on this message board could talk about would be Bradford and, I suppose Keenum and Foles.

Blah...

Possible we hear that the Bills traded Tyrod as part of a larger package up to #1 or #4 with the Browns in the next month and a half so we can draft Darnold, but geez I think this is going to be another year of Tyrod vitriolic discussion on this message board  :doh:

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Possible we hear that the Bills traded Tyrod as part of a larger package up to #1 or #4 with the Browns in the next month and a half so we can draft Darnold, but geez I think this is going to be another year of Tyrod vitriolic discussion on this message board  :doh:

doesn't matter if it's TT.....there will always be vitriol no matter who the QB is...LOL

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, CritMark said:

The problem with gambling on any QB that doesn't have a lot of starts under their belt is you don't really know what you have.  The cost just gets exacerbated when it is an untested veteran.  Are you getting Brock or Jimmy G.?  People forget that Jimmy G. only had a couple of actual starts.  That could have gone the other way like Brock.  

Except cousins has 3.5 seasons starting with very good numbers, so I'm not sure where you think that's an "untested veteran"

Good bye Taylor

Washington appeared to move on from Cousins on Tuesday night by agreeing to trade for Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith — then immediately giving Smith a four-year contract extension, according to reports. Cousins is an unrestricted free agent this offseason, and it’s all but guaranteed he’ll sign elsewhere. He’ll have plenty of suitors, but four teams stand out, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The Denver Broncos are “poised to make a run” at Cousins, NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday, so they could be at the top of that list. Rapoport also cited the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills as suitors. NFL Media’s Chris Wesseling noted the Arizona Cardinals could pursue Cousins following Carson Palmer’s retirement, as well, although they’ve yet to be tied to him in any reports.

https://nesn.com/2018/01/nfl-rumors-kirk-cousins-free-agent-suitors-led-by-these-four-teams/

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So was he unhappy or happy  with our offensive production when we were 5-4 heading to LA to play the Chargers?

Considering we were on a 2 game losing streak and our offense crapped the bed the week before and got absolutely destroyed defensively, obviously unhappy with the team and with our offense in particular after the Saints game.

2 losses in a row = unhappy = desperation to right the sinking ship

followed by

Benching Tyrod (by many accounts at Dennison's request) in state of desperation = Worst half by a QB since AFL/NFL merger = OH CRAP!!! I'VE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!!

Is this really the dumb game we're playing?

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

We do not know WHO on the coaching staff was responsible for benching Taylor.  All we know is that his game sucked for the prior 3 weeks and that is why he got benched. 

It is time to stop blaming everyone but Taylor 

Well... obviously McDermott is primarily responsible and he's the ultimate decision man

but...

Just a very quick google search led me to this article:

http://us.blastingnews.com/sports/2017/11/real-reason-why-buffalo-bills-benched-tyrod-taylor-emerges-002176861.html

Per source close to the situation, a feud between Rick Dennison and Tyrod Taylor after last Sunday’s game eventually lead to the benching. Rick Dennison essentially gave Sean McDermott an ultimatum. Bench Tyrod, or I’m (Dennison) out. This is Rick Dennison’s offense and he wasn’t going down with the ship, so to speak. It is refreshing to see ownership allow these guys to do what they do without interference.

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Good bye Taylor

Washington appeared to move on from Cousins on Tuesday night by agreeing to trade for Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith — then immediately giving Smith a four-year contract extension, according to reports. Cousins is an unrestricted free agent this offseason, and it’s all but guaranteed he’ll sign elsewhere. He’ll have plenty of suitors, but four teams stand out, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

The Denver Broncos are “poised to make a run” at Cousins, NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday, so they could be at the top of that list. Rapoport also cited the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills as suitors. NFL Media’s Chris Wesseling noted the Arizona Cardinals could pursue Cousins following Carson Palmer’s retirement, as well, although they’ve yet to be tied to him in any reports.

https://nesn.com/2018/01/nfl-rumors-kirk-cousins-free-agent-suitors-led-by-these-four-teams/

Two can play at this game...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ranking-the-top-6-destinations-for-cousins-after-redskins-landed-smith/ar-BBIuDka?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp#page=2

Ranking the top 6 destinations for Cousins after Redskins landed Smith  

6. Buffalo Bills

Projected 2018 cap space: $29.4 million

The Bills have made it clear they don't believe in Tyrod Taylor as their long-term starter, and Nathan Peterman is likely to be a hard sell after his five-interception performance, so Buffalo should be in the quarterback market.

The problem for Buffalo is it can't offer anything to Cousins that other teams can't. The Bills were a playoff team (just), sure, but little about their roster stands out - especially on the offensive side. LeSean McCoy is obviously a star, but at 29 years old, he'll likely only be around with Cousins for a season or two.

Buffalo does own two first-round picks with which to boost their roster, but they'd be hard-pressed to sign Cousins and other significant free agents with their available cap space. Sorry, Bills nation, Cousins likely won't be your savior.

25 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

6. Buffalo Bills

Projected 2018 cap space: $29.4 million

I just posted the scenario with cutting TT and Glen nets them $36 Million and restructuring 3 or 4 deals, The Bills would have well over $50 Million in cap space!

all of these articles are keeping Tay Tay on the roster 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

37 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Except cousins has 3.5 seasons starting with very good numbers, so I'm not sure where you think that's an "untested veteran"

I was responding to people comparing Brock Osweiler to the Smith deal or a potential Cousins deal.  I was in no way comparing Cousins to an untested vet.  

The point was that if you gamble on a rookie you get them under a strict salary limitation.  No more $80MM deals for a QB that has never seen an NFL field.  When you take a chance on an untested vet like Osweiler or Jimmy G., often the gamble is the same but at a much higher price.  With those two examples, Osweiler didn't work out and Jimmy G seems to be. 

Hope that makes sense.

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Poor Browns... they just keep getting screwed if that's true!

They can have Tyrod if they're willing to part with that #1 or maybe #4 pick  :flirt: 

hate to say it but the Browns have earned the reputation they have.  It's no surprise that top FAs don't want to play there.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

If rumors are true the Browns offered a 2nd rounder for Alex Smith then my god is that franchise still screwed.

I figured John Dorsey would be interested but a 2nd rounder for a 34 year QB that was ran out of KC because some still think he's just a backup caliber guy?

• Haha (+1) 3

8 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Cousins stated he wanted to go to a team and have a chance to win.    Of the teams looking only 3 fit that category.  

Buffalo, Jax and Denver (if their defense can hold)  

I agree with you. My guess is he will go to Denver.

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Considering we were on a 2 game losing streak and our offense crapped the bed the week before and got absolutely destroyed defensively, obviously unhappy with the team and with our offense in particular after the Saints game.

2 losses in a row = unhappy = desperation to right the sinking ship

followed by

Benching Tyrod (by many accounts at Dennison's request) in state of desperation = Worst half by a QB since AFL/NFL merger = OH CRAP!!! I'VE MADE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE!!!

Is this really the dumb game we're playing?

2 games doesn’t put you in desperation mode to make a change at QB.  The QB struggling for long stretches leaving points on the field consistently is what makes the QB change.  That’s what happened.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

2 games doesn’t put you in desperation mode to make a change at QB.  The QB struggling for long stretches leaving points on the field consistently is what makes the QB change.  That’s what happened.

You said it, and because you said it, so it must be  0:) 

No point in arguing with the omniscient.

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's a Tyrod homer.

Don't try to use logic on him.

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

You said it, and because you said it, so it must be  0:) 

No point in arguing with the omniscient.

It makes the most logical sense unless you think McDermott is a knee jerk guy.  

I view him as calculated.

LOL calling me omniscient....coming from a guy who said McDermott is “darn happy with 7 points if the other team has less”.

I guess you believe he’s as happy beating a team 7-3 more than 27-13.  He didn’t mean it when he said scoring points is a legitimate concern.