Bills need to trade up into the top 5

Klaista2k

If we want a top quarterback there's no doubt in mind we need to trade up into the top 5.

Look at all the teams drafting early that need a quarterback. Browns, Giants, Broncos, Jets, etc. So if we want a top quarterback we absolutely need to make a bold move and get into the top 5 of the draft. 

The 1st pick is probably out of the question because that would take too much capital and I doubt the Browns would even want to move out of that spot. I think realistically we need to inquire with the Giants, Colts, and Browns (about their 4th) to see if they are open to moving down. 

It will probably take a lot of picks to move up but we don't really have a choice if we want a shot at a franchise QB like Darnold, Allen, or Rosen. 

Looking at the RG3 trade up in 2012

#6 and #39  to move up to #2      1st rd pick in 2013 and 2014

the Bills at 21 and 22  looks like a lot steeper price to move up in the top 4 ,  other teams needing a QB could really bid up the price this year

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/7668243/washington-redskins-acquire-no-2-overall-pick-st-louis-rams

The Bills 'blew' an opportunity for a top QB pick when they ended the drought. I'm OK with that. As so many threads have already proven the reliability of draft picks is really suspect. Use your bounty of picks to fill up the roster with good solid players. Pick up a veteran to lead them (it'll be better that TT) and take a QB when you feel there's value either in the late first or second. 

• Like (+1) 1

Keep in mind that they have assets to trade in addition to draft picks, such as players they may be ready  to move on from ... Cordy Glenn, Tyrod Taylor). There are teams such as the Browns who actually prefer vets because they have a very young team, already a plethora of picks, and have a difficult time getting vets to sign in FA.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Keep in mind that they have assets to trade in addition to draft picks, such as players they may be ready  to move on from ... Cordy Glenn, Tyrod Taylor). There are teams such as the Browns who actually prefer vets because they have a very young team, already a plethora of picks, and have a difficult time getting vets to sign in FA.

Tyrod, Glenn, Hughes, and Lawson are all potential throw ins imo.

This is probably true. So many teams looking for qbs this year. I believe that Darnold and Allen would fit the profile of the type of quarterback the Bills would trade up into the top 5. Beane appears to value size and we know the organization wants high character individuals. Personally, I also like Mayfield but I just don't see the Bills having any interest in him. I don't think the Bills have interest in Rosen (for lack of intangibles, leadership etc.) and I would agree. Rosen seems a little too soft and arrogant for my taste. And there is a clear separation in NFL talent level between the top 4 (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen) and the next group (Jackson, Rudolph, Falk etc.). It would cost a lot to  move up but I am fine with Darnold or Allen. I don't think there would be much debate if it were for Darnold but Allen might cause some debate. I am coming around on Allen. He really did not have much of a supporting cast (constant pressure, no running game and young wrs). Wyoming is not a great football program and they have actually won 8 games each of the last 2 seasons with Allen as a starter. That might not sound like a lot but Wyoming won only 4-5-4-2 games in the 4 seasons prior to Allen starting. It looks like Allen sometimes tries to do too much and he often has to on an offense lacking talent. There are a lot of big drops from watching his games. Down 21-3 against Iowa, Allen avoids rushes and steps up in pocket throwing a perfect strike 40 yards downfield and his wr bobbles the ball in the endzone before going out of bounds. It was an easy catch and there were a few others like this. The first TD pass he made in the Central Michigan game was an NFL level throw and had velocity that maybe only Newton and Stafford could match. He regularly shakes off would be tacklers which reminds me of Big Ben. Allen is still raw but he is young and has not been groomed to be a qb since middle school like many other top qbs. Allen's skill set is extremely rare and it perfectly matches Buffalo (Big, strong arm, large hands) and he comes from a small rural area and appears to have an excellent work ethic and attitude. Let him sit for a year and develop while putting in a veteran and maybe we have a top qb in a few years. 

Edited by racketmaster
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

If we want a top quarterback there's no doubt in mind we need to trade up into the top 5.

Look at all the teams drafting early that need a quarterback. Browns, Giants, Broncos, Jets, etc. So if we want a top quarterback we absolutely need to make a bold move and get into the top 5 of the draft. 

The 1st pick is probably out of the question because that would take too much capital and I doubt the Browns would even want to move out of that spot. I think realistically we need to inquire with the Giants, Colts, and Browns (about their 4th) to see if they are open to moving down. 

It will probably take a lot of picks to move up but we don't really have a choice if we want a shot at a franchise QB like Darnold, Allen, or Rosen.

Just keep in mind that there are probably not 3 franchise QB in this draft.  There may be one, and possibly one other who is good (and won't necessarily go in the first).

The odds are maybe 66% of getting a capable NFL starter in the first 2 picks, and fall to ~30% after that.  If you want to dismiss the top-2  and 3-5 picks as too small a sample size, 50-50 in the top 5 picks - and that's not the odds of drafting Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers, that's just the odds of drafting a QB who can play decently in the NFL for some period - Winston, Bradford, Griffin, Smith, Bradford etc.- after possibly a development period.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do it if the guy we like is there, and we really really think he's "Da Man".  I'm just saying you better be sure, because you're giving up a lot.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

If our FO thinks the guy is there, then I am all for using whatever pieces we have in order to get him. 

I dont think I would have said that before this season...but seeing how Coach McD and his staff really got the most out of a roster devoid of talent in many areas, I am confident they could do the same again and again....albeit this time with a true NFL QB.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane mentioned picks #2, #3 and #4 in his presser on Tuesday.  

Here is the context of that mention:

" Everybody has their own value," Beane said. "At the end of the day, it's like anything that's for sale. It's only for sale if somebody's willing to move it. I know there's going to be all these hypotheticals of 'this is how the Bills can do this and what it could take.' But you have to have a partner. If we decided that it was worth moving up there. Even if you want to move to two or three or four or five, whatever number it is, they have to be willing to do it. And they may ask for a king's ransom that does not make sense for us. Again, we have to have a partner if we were ever choosing to move up or move down. Who knows what will happen. We're still a long way from doing that because we haven't put a final value on these players." 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I wouldn't say the Browns have had too much trouble getting FAs to sign, they haven't targeted a lot of them but they signed Zeitler (the top guard available) and Britt last year.  I think we are kidding ourselves if we think a guy like Taylor has real value in a move up, traditionally getting a day 2 pick for a good quality player has been a great haul.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I wouldn't say the Browns have had too much trouble getting FAs to sign, they haven't targeted a lot of them but they signed Zeitler (the top guard available) and Britt last year.  I think we are kidding ourselves if we think a guy like Taylor has real value in a move up, traditionally getting a day 2 pick for a good quality player has been a great haul.

TT was just one example and they have had a hard time getting skill players to sign... but the point is that they need players, not picks. They don’t need any more rookies or future assets. Dorsey has made this point several times. He wants to win now... whether that’s realistic or not i don’t know but they are more concerned abour the present than the future with the new regime.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

" Everybody has their own value," Beane said. "At the end of the day, it's like anything that's for sale. It's only for sale if somebody's willing to move it. I know there's going to be all these hypotheticals of 'this is how the Bills can do this and what it could take.' But you have to have a partner. If we decided that it was worth moving up there. Even if you want to move to two or three or four or five, whatever number it is, they have to be willing to do it. And they may ask for a king's ransom that does not make sense for us. Again, we have to have a partner if we were ever choosing to move up or move down. Who knows what will happen. We're still a long way from doing that because we haven't put a final value on these players." 

Thanks for the quote and the context.  I like Beane's thinking and I agree with it.  It just doesn't make sense for us given the holes on the team.  We do need a franchise guy.  But it takes two to tango and if those teams up at the top decide that their guy is on the board and they have rated him the highest player on their board, just because we have ammo doesn't mean they want to move off the player they've rated highest on their board.

Now to add another layer, sometimes you do what doesn't make sense, take a major step back before you get better.  Who knows??  We'll see.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yep.  But he mentioned trading up in a question that was not about trading up.... and he did it twice.