Bills need to trade up into the top 5

Klaista2k

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills 'blew' an opportunity for a top QB pick when they ended the drought. I'm OK with that. As so many threads have already proven the reliability of draft picks is really suspect. Use your bounty of picks to fill up the roster with good solid players. Pick up a veteran to lead them (it'll be better that TT) and take a QB when you feel there's value either in the late first or second. 

+ 1

Beauty.  Very well said!

Also, I read an article which shows the percentage of "franchise" QBs selected in picks 1 - 5 is about 30 %. Picks 6 - 10 drops to about 10 %, and picks 11 - 20 jumps

back up to 20 %. 

GMs are clearly reaching or misevaluating in the 6 - 10 range.  I think??

It will take a fortune that includes picks from next year too IMO.  We are going up into the top 5 from the twenties...that's a big jump and with other teams likely trying to jump up as well, the price will just go up.  We better LOVE a guy if we do jump up.  This will be one interesting offseason that's for sure.  

40 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Even if you are convinced you still have to weigh options and ask yourself plenty of questions.  That's a part of "the process".

Wholeheartedly disagree.

If OBD is convinced one of the QBs in the draft is a franchise QB, then they better move whatever need be moved to obtain him. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Wholeheartedly disagree.

If OBD is convinced one of the QBs in the draft is a franchise QB, then they better move whatever need be moved to obtain him. 

Correct. If you see a guy who can be a top QB in the future then you go get him. If we were ever going to have a chance at getting a QB it's this year because of the extra 1st rounder.

Edited by ndirish1978
  • Like (+1) 1

The only guy the Bills want is Darnold and still think Cleveland takes him #1 overall especially since John Dorsey is a proven commodity at GM and understands he's the best QB and/or player in the draft.

Cleveland is actually in a great spot because if they land their franchise QB with the first pick they can then trade the #4 pick for a kings ransom to another desperate team looking for a QB. Could easily go from 0-16 to 8-8 or better very quickly.

9 minutes ago, SaviorPeterman said:

The only guy the Bills want is Darnold and still think Cleveland takes him #1 overall especially since John Dorsey is a proven commodity at GM and understands he's the best QB and/or player in the draft.

Cleveland is actually in a great spot because if they land their franchise QB with the first pick they can then trade the #4 pick for a kings ransom to another desperate team looking for a QB. Could easily go from 0-16 to 8-8 or better very quickly.

At their current rate of winning 1 game every 2 years, it will take 14 years to get to where they are still not making the playoffs at 8-8. Juicy!

Edited by YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Keep in mind that they have assets to trade in addition to draft picks, such as players they may be ready  to move on from ... Cordy Glenn, Tyrod Taylor). There are teams such as the Browns who actually prefer vets because they have a very young team, already a plethora of picks, and have a difficult time getting vets to sign in FA.

Maybe a no brainer, Yolo?

A first, a second, a fourth (or the extra fifth) in 2018, a third in 2019, Glenn and Tyrod for their 4?

They have cap space.  They pick up two additional picks, this year (3 total), as well as a starting tackle and a bridge QB.  5 for 1.

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Maybe a no brainer, Yolo?

A first, a second, a fourth (or the extra fifth) in 2018, a third in 2019, Glenn and Tyrod for their 4?

They have cap space.  They pick up two additional picks, this year (3 total), as well as a starting tackle and a bridge QB.  5 for 1.

Yep they are a team who will (finally) spend the surplus of cap and trades for decent starters with contracts teams want to shed are one easy way to make that happen. If Tyrod is involved I don’t know if they start him or not, but they desperately need a vet QB.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

If we want a top quarterback there's no doubt in mind we need to trade up into the top 5.

As long as that stays in your mind, I am good with that.  We definitely do not need to trade up into the top 5.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yep they are a team who will (finally) spend the surplus of cap and trades for decent starters with contracts teams want to shed are one easy way to make that happen 

Honestly, I think at some point, sooner rather than later, Cleveland is going to start to rise, especially with the combination of picks and veterans (if they get them).

Who the hell doesn't want a quality tackle* which Glenn is (* if healthy)?

I think they could be a 5-6 win team in 2018.