Bills analytics department fired/restructured

ricojes

1 minute ago, horned dogs said:

The tape doesn't lie

How do you reduce tape to an analytic report (you know, without actually forcing the person to watch the tape, which makes any analytic report unnecessary)?

Just now, Koko78 said:

How do you reduce tape to an analytic report (you know, without actually forcing the person to watch the tape, which makes any analytic report unnecessary)?

They just watch the tape and record relevant data, like the stuff you were talking about, analyze and present the findings to the coaches. The important part is what data you decide is important and how it is used. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, horned dogs said:

The tape doesn't lie

I disagree 100%.  Theres most certainly is a place for analytics and the good coaches use that information to their advantage.  If you read the article, Beane’s not getting rid of the department.  Just reshaping it to help the team better

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

So basically Beane is getting rid of the Bills analytics department because it really sounds they were weren’t offering much to the football side of things.

Dumb ass Rex wouldn't know what to do with analytics if it hit him over the head, so no direction from him.    McD has shown he want's nothing to do with anything he didn't design-build himself, so nada input there.

I hope the analytics guys had fun twiddling their thumbs and playing Candy Crush while they were here.    Analytics is only good if you have a willing user....

45 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Analytics are great for games like baseball, where you can keep track of in-depth stats like how a particular batter does against left-handed pitchers or a certain type of pitch.

So much of football isn't quantifiable. There are no stats as to whether a receiver ran the correct route on a play or whether a DB blew a coverage or was supposed to get safety help, for example. Others are misleading, such as interceptions or quarterback ratings (interceptions may or may not be the QBs fault, and ratings are only useful to generate a general estimate of efficiency over a long period of time.)

It's also great in baseball because there are sooooooo many leagues, soooooo many players.  You can't watch them all.  You can look at numbers, and pull out a top 50 prospect list of guys you like, and then from there watch tape.  Still always comes down to tape. 

Football there are things you can analyze - whether you should go for 2 in x situation, win probabilities etc.  But you can't really use it for accurate player evaluation.  So many positions literally have no stats at the end of a game.  I assume coaches see on film when a run goes for no yards, who is at fault.  I don't need a computer to tell me that.

Edited by dneveu

54 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Analytics are great for games like baseball, where you can keep track of in-depth stats like how a particular batter does against left-handed pitchers or a certain type of pitch.

So much of football isn't quantifiable. There are no stats as to whether a receiver ran the correct route on a play or whether a DB blew a coverage or was supposed to get safety help, for example. Others are misleading, such as interceptions or quarterback ratings (interceptions may or may not be the QBs fault, and ratings are only useful to generate a general estimate of efficiency over a long period of time.)

good post. context is key

absolutely  

( get my mathematical humor there?  )

all about quantifying estimates of measurements that are estimates of quantifiable measurements. < read this sentence  slowly Kids.
think upon my words.

all contextual data. without context. Thanks Fantasy football !
 But as humans we need to organize to develop opinions.
The rest is History.

Delighted about this move.Brandon sells tickets and that's fine. But don try to BS Bills Fans Russ.

Go Bills !

Edited by 3rdand12

22 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I disagree 100%.  Theres most certainly is a place for analytics and the good coaches use that information to their advantage.  If you read the article, Beane’s not getting rid of the department.  Just reshaping it to help the team better

Disagree with what? Who said there was no place for analytics?

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Too bad Russ has not been canned yet... Or, tarred and feathered by Bills' fans. 

I swear, that guy has dirt on someone. Or, he is an insanely good ass-suck. 

He's a huge reason why the team set season ticket sales records and still managed to sell out most games during the drought. He's a wiz of a businessman but shoulda never been allowed near football ops. 

22 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

He's a huge reason why the team set season ticket sales records and still managed to sell out most games during the drought. He's a wiz of a businessman but shoulda never been allowed near football ops. 

and he no longer is.
case in point.

Go Bills !

25 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

See, I think that might have to do with the culture in Buffalo. A lot of the teams who play in cold weather have strong fan bases, period. 

In b4 Browns.

12 hours ago, ricojes said:

Brandon conceded it's fair to say Lyons' work pertained more to the Bills' ticket pricing than with X's and O's.

Oh

3 hours ago, White Linen said:

I don't think Bills fans buy tickets because they're stupid and easily duped.  We're as smart of a fan base as any.  

Sorry but..... a bunch of guys keeping season tickets through a 17 year playoff drought with such marquee coaches as Dick Jerkron, Greggo and St. Doug..... smart???

That sounds like a bunch of Mularkey ?

6 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

This sort of thing represents the old Bills, the middling, crap organization that always half-assed it and achieved little in success for its history, save the glorious time around the Superbowl years.

I genuinely believe all that stuff is finally behind us and we are now a much more professionally run organization, by people who get it.

I still say things are looking up and, in fact, have not looked this good in a generation.

The Bills FO was so blazingly stupid with stuff like this under Brandon. He probably watched the movie moneyball and decided that would be good for the Buffalo Bills...then the team went out and spent 100 million on super Mario to drive up ticket sales. 

It wasn't about building a championship team to actually compete against the Patriots as it was more all about selling tickets like a huckster. Looking back it was his own stupidity that did him in, with his contact with HC Doug Marrone. If he hadn't given him that buy out clause then the Bills might still have Marrone, Whaley, Brandon leading this franchise. :o

On another note, now that Andrew Luck will have Josh McDaniels as his HC in Indy and DeShaun Watson is back healthy with the Texans I highly doubt the Jags repeat in getting into the playoffs for 2018. 

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

This is fantastic.  So basically Beane is getting rid of the Bills analytics department because it really sounds they were weren’t offering much to the football side of things.

I remember back in 2013 when the Bills canned Chan Gailey.  Russ Brandon called a press conference on New Years Day to announce he was given the title of President - essentially taking the reigns from Ralph officially.  

He played to the fan base by talking about how it was a era and that the “new” Bills were going to be analytics driven.  He said the brand was tarnished and announced his plans to start the analytics department for football operations.  At the time this was the hot trend in the NFL, so fans were pumped.  Russ then announced the hiring of the director, Michael Lyons, who I believe worked at Kodak.  

But then he hired Doug Marrone, who while a competent coach, was not really one to use data to make decisions on the field.  He made this abundantly clear at his press conferences.  Of course the next coaching hire, Rex Ryan, also was not an analytics guys either

It made many wonder “what the hell are the analytic guys doing, if they aren’t that involved with coaches.”  Then a journalist asked Russ and he basically said they were involved with providing analytics for ticket sales on the business side of things.  This was the opposite of what Russ spoke of on New Year’s Day. 

I remember being very annoyed, because again, it was another interesting idea that the organization botched....yet again.  Im

not blaming Russ because who knows what happened, but man, another idea that didn’t nearly live up to its hype.

So I am all in favor of Beane building a new analytics department.  There was no reason for the department to be housed until football operations if they had little impact on the on field product.  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/25/bills-axe-analytics-staff/

Mike Schopp got fired ! What ?!?!

I'm more of a gut guy when it comes to football.  Nix was a good gut guy surrounded by a confused owner who made him work with the modern, stupid, analytics children.  Shoot, he was even forced to hire Whaley.  I feel for the guy- he got his GM shot, only to get his vision trampled upon by pointless, stupid, people influencing a senile, cheap, owner.

• Haha (+1) 1

the existence of russ brandon in his various roles was a major factor in the existence of the drought.

and as far as marketing whiz?  i dont believe he invented cheap tickets and lawless tailgating.  also, watch the mass exodus of sabres sth this summer