How to be better than Jags

Ga boy

The Jags gave the Pats all they can handle.  How do we compare to the Jags?  Well, we lost to them 10-3.  Does that mean we're close to being better than them?  I don't think so.  Others may disagree.  I think our offense compares favorably.  Our defense is miles behind.  So if we're going to beat Pats, then we must model our D after the Jags, and improve our offense with Cousins.  If Jags had Cousins, they beat Pats.  If we get anyone other than Cousins, then the status quo doesn't change.  We need someone who can match Brady, otherwise we'll continue to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle. 

First.  Find a QB that will put up 293 yards on them like Bortles did yesterday and have a strong ground attack.  Their defense seemed to do what our defense did the two times we played them.  We played well against them in the 1st half and then folded in the 2nd. after adjustments were made.  They have the more talented D-line and got pressure on Brady with four which is the only way to contain him.

We played the Jags in their stadium fairly evenly, and we did that while playing without a QB or any semblance of a passing attack.

Continued improvement, added talent through FA and the draft, and acquiring a real QB who can throw the ball downfield with a strong vertical passing attack are what we need to catch up to New England.

It helps that as we catch up to them over the next couple of years, they will be slowing down, or at least Brady will be...or at least you would think.  The guy can't play forever.

It's possible we could arrive just as Brady is on the way out.  That would be great timing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

We played the Jags in their stadium fairly evenly, and we did that while playing without a QB or any semblance of a passing attack.

Continued improvement, added talent through FA and the draft, and acquiring a real QB who can throw the ball downfield with a strong vertical passing attack are what we need to catch up to New England.

It helps that as we catch up to them over the next couple of years, they will be slowing down, or at least Brady will be...or at least you would think.  The guy can't play forever.

It's possible we could arrive just as Brady is on the way out.  That would be great timing.

Took us long enough! But, yeah, it would make the wait worth it. Wouldn't it be something if we replaced the Pats as the AFCE kings. 

I can dream can't I? 

42 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

We already are better than the jags.

Don't bogart that...

1 hour ago, Ga boy said:

The Jags gave the Pats all they can handle.  How do we compare to the Jags?  Well, we lost to them 10-3.  Does that mean we're close to being better than them?  I don't think so.  Others may disagree.  I think our offense compares favorably.  Our defense is miles behind.  So if we're going to beat Pats, then we must model our D after the Jags, and improve our offense with Cousins.  If Jags had Cousins, they beat Pats.  If we get anyone other than Cousins, then the status quo doesn't change.  We need someone who can match Brady, otherwise we'll continue to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle.

I think you might have it mixed.  We're behind in talent on both sides of the ball, but the D is further ahead.

I don't want no "model after Jags".  I trust McD to have his own model in mind.

QB is the key.  Everything else is just whether Mr Beane indeed has better talent ID chops than Whaley did.

15 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Play those guys again at home or on a neutral  field and we win. We match up well with them and I think we’re better regardless of the playoff loss.

I agree that we match up well against them.  I'm not afraid of the Jaguars. They got hot at the right time and their defense is tough, but they don't scare me.  Until they prove me otherwise, I'm counting this AFC Championship run as a fluke.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You can't just insert Cousins on the Jags and think the Jags beat the Patriots. 

Bortles might not be the better QB but he played a mistake free game against the Pats. Cousins could have easily thrown a costly INT against the Pats. And scoring wasn't a huge issue for the Jags, they did put up 20. 

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

For all I know Brady could seriously play another 5-6 years. Yeah he is old as dirt right now but the guy hasn't slowed at all. I mean I haven't seen a single sign of the guy even starting to fall apart. Heck, maybe he plays till he is 48 or 50.

18 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

For all I know Brady could seriously play another 5-6 years. Yeah he is old as dirt right now but the guy hasn't slowed at all. I mean I haven't seen a single sign of the guy even starting to fall apart. Heck, maybe he plays till he is 48 or 50.

True.  But I have seen several games this year where he looks like he wish he were somewhere else.  I think he may be losing the love of the game he once had.  After the season I wouldn't be surprised if he hangs 'em up.

If you want to stay ahead of the Jags, then find your franchise QB. Bortles is awful and he's hardly their long term guy. Keep building the defense to match there's and then it will come down to who has the better qb. Once Brady, Rothleisbrger,  Rivers etc retire, the AFC will take on a whole new look.

2 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Yeah, our offense compares favorably to the Jags.

They're 6th in yards per game. We're 29th. Obviously this makes us superior, just as their scoring the 5th most points per game makes us at 22nd superior.

Don't know if we "must" improve with Cousins. I certainly wouldn't mind, but the new boys don't appear to be the open-the-purse-strings type. Plenty of other guys out there. The world doesn't end after next season.

2 hours ago, John from Hemet said:

Maybe we can even have one that is a team player, shows up to team meetings so he isnt facing penalty action from the team all the time, isnt hurt all the time?

Nice one, John. I'm with you here. Maybe find one playing up to his contract also.

Well if we put ourselves in a situation where we can draft in the Top 3 for 10 years we might stockpile some elite talent.

Are they better? Marginally. If we played in that division and had the easiest schedule in 2017 we might have gotten 11 wins.

No doubt in my mind they take a step back next season. Watson and Watt will be healthy and Luck probably as well. Plus a tougher schedule will equate to 8 wins if they're lucky. Jags don't scare much, the Pats with the zebras do.