Putting down a dog (or other pet)

So I found myself making an appointment this morning to have my 14 year old dog put to sleep.  He has been a wonderful pet, rescued from a shelter at 1 year old, but has hips so deteriorated he can now barely stand.  He's been on pain meds for awhile but when he stands up he's leaning worse than ever.

I'm planning to do the deed myself, although my wife and daughter have offered to join me at the vet. I've politely declined and they haven't pushed back. 

I'm not really sure if I've refused their "help" out of selfishness or if Im actually protecting them from the sight of it.  

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. 

• Sad 2

some need closure.. its a hard thing to do. I myself have had multipe dogs put down... For me I owe it to my furry friends to be there otherwise I could not live with myself. As hard as this is I just need to be there...

Might be nice ot have family there for the cry thats bound ot come afterwards. heck I'm tearing up right now

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

Done it multiple times and it sucks.  My last animal “dog” died in front my boys via heart attack.  He lifted his head one last time and gave my oldest a lick and passed.  We took him to the vet and said goodbye.  Hard life lesson but agree any family who wants to should say goodbye.

Three years ago, both of our dogs died. Our whole family went when we put Lulu to sleep in March. I think it was important for all of us to say goodbye. Eight months later our other dog was having breathing problems. The vet wanted to keep him overnight for treatment, we got a call in the middle of the night that Buckley died of heart failure. I was upset that we weren’t with him and able to say goodbye.

Bring your family with you.

30 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

So I found myself making an appointment this morning to have my 14 year old dog put to sleep.  He has been a wonderful pet, rescued from a shelter at 1 year old, but has hips so deteriorated he can now barely stand.  He's been on pain meds for awhile but when he stands up he's leaning worse than ever.

I'm planning to do the deed myself, although my wife and daughter have offered to join me at the vet. I've politely declined and they haven't pushed back. 

I'm not really sure if I've refused their "help" out of selfishness or if Im actually protecting them from the sight of it.  

Each situation is different, as is each protocol at the vets.

You've offered to have them join you, let them run their course. 

28 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Props and respect for making the tough decision. Even more so to do the right thing and stay with the dog until the very end.

They DO look for their humans at the end, and we all know they would be there for us in such a moment. It's the very least we can do for them. If the wife and daughter want to come, I think you should let them. They are part of the entire "pack" too.

Much love.

33 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Leave the offer open to your wife and daughter. If they don't want to go its 100% their choice we all have our feelings on what we want. I have been in person with my parents and not in person. Strangely enough once it happens it is a 100% peaceful and frankly as a human I wish it was that easy and painless for us.

Other then that sorry to hear losing a pet to me is losing family and sucks hard. Bring lots of tissues.

that's tough man. i didn't have to do it for my last dog as she passed on her own but i was a couple days away from having to take her in. she was 15.  i took my dog once to the vet and they actually had me leave him in a cage and not be with him when they did it. i obviously regret that. 

Oy, I feel for you OP.

Been there, done that several times with both dogs and cats. They become family members and wedge their way into our hearts.

That's a tough call but I would ask each family member if their last memory of Fluffy will be watching him get into a car or

hugging the pet as they slip gently away. "Protecting" family members may exclude them from your pets last precious moments.

P.S. Make sure the vet is a Bills fan/ Patriots hater.

Much more compassionate

44 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I've done it multiple times....one of the toughest things a person can do...but you are doing it because you love your pet and don't want him/her in pain.

(Side note: Since this is on the Stadium Wall forum, is this an analogy for cutting ties with Tyrod?)

I wish I could say this was an analogy as you say.  

Parting ways with a mediocre QB is much easier IMO. 

BTW, thank you all for your advice and empathy.   This is a tough one. 

• Like (+1) 1

It's something I've done many times. I dispatched an animal a few weeks ago.  It's never a highlight but it is for what's best.

If your wife and kids would like to join you for any reason let them.  You may find you need them more than you realize. 

1 hour ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Do it alone.   They can say their goodbyes before hand.   1 sad person on the drive home is better than 3 people crying on the drive home