I've lost all of my Saint Doug hate...

eball

40 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

Douglas Marrone left the Bills on bad terms: He had his reasons that we will probably never fully understand.  He is a very good NFL Head Coach. No bitterness here.

Maybe watching how Jacksonville has advanced to the AFC Championship should also give us a pause about Tyrod Taylor: Blake Bortles got the Jags there, and if the Bills can get Tyrod back to the 2015 Tyrod (25 total TD's 6 INT) level, and make the defense elite, who says Buffalo can't replicate this success?

It is hard to win consistently with a Qb like Taylor or a Bortles despite all the rhetoric about him since he won a play off game yesterday. You need a lot of things to go right for for them to be successful namely strong defense and running game.

You have to continue to search for a upgrade while they hold things down. That is what I expect the Bills to do they will look to FA and the draft for upgrades.

2 hours ago, eball said:

...it just doesn't matter any more.  I actually enjoyed watching the Steelers have their asses handed to them for most of that game, and I'll be pulling for the Jags to beat the Pats*** as well.

Saint Doug is "obviously" flawed, but I'm happy where the Bills are and I'm done rooting for Marrone to fail.  We all know Coughlin is pulling the strings anyway.  ;)

We shall see.

2 hours ago, eball said:

...it just doesn't matter any more.  I actually enjoyed watching the Steelers have their asses handed to them for most of that game, and I'll be pulling for the Jags to beat the Pats*** as well.

Saint Doug is "obviously" flawed, but I'm happy where the Bills are and I'm done rooting for Marrone to fail.  We all know Coughlin is pulling the strings anyway.  ;)

and hoping he listens to coughlin and his connections on how to beat Brady

27 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm one of the few who never had a problem with the guy.  I don't think he did "great" in Buffalo, but it was his first NFL HC gig and it was the Bills during the most uncertain time in the history of the team.  After seeing what kind of owners the Pegs were for those first two years, he did the right thing by taking the money and running.  I'm glad he's doing well.

Never hated him in the first place. Never really liked him either. I thought overall he was an uninspiring choice as coach and an uninspiring coach. When he had that on field blowup  at practice with Whalley? the dysfunction in the whole organization was apparent. I don't blame him for walking away. I will also add that Marrone saw EJ for what he was and what he was ever going to be and at least had the balls to go out and get a viable NFL QB in Orton.

In any case Marrone has won 2 playoff games and built a strong D and got the best out of a marginal QB. You have to give him credit. like his personality or not.

All these people who somehow hate Marrone and want the Pats to crush the Jags?? How petty can you get? You begrudge Marrone and his success and want the biggest most arrogant dbags , the Pats to win another championship?  Give your head a shake. You are acting like a jilted boyfriend whose ex girlfriend has found happiness without you.  Time to move on!!

Edited by Livinginthepast
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, unclepete said:

He’s a great coach. And he did a great job when he was in Buffalo. Moreso, he seems to have learned to take more risk. He’s a spineless coward but a really good coach. 

So right about spineless coward part. He is like telling your wife that you want a divorce by text. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, yungmack said:

You can both respect a coach's ability while also despising him as a person. Think Belichick.

Bad example.  I don't respect coaches who cheat

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If the Jacksonville defense can make Tom Brady into a whiney little beyotch next Sunday, I'll light a candle in St. Doug's honor.

Yes - at a minimum beat the crap out of him - will say 5 Hail Mary's if he misses the SB

I have no issue with the way he left. If a player takes an opt-out, nobody bats an eye. Marrone lost a power struggle to Whaley, which in hindsight is somewhat unfortunate but okay now that Buffalo has good coaching again.

The Pegulas put this odd organizational structure in place and have clearly learned from it now that McDermott is in charge.

Take the emotional aspect out and analyze what Doug did. 

Doug quit. Why? 

- He didn’t want to draft a QB his first year and he got EJ against his wishes. 

- The next year Whaley does something incredibly stupid by trading up for Sammy. 

- Orton brings a competent presence to the team and then retires. 

So, Doug had a 9-7 season and has new owners and an opt out. All things considered he made a good business decision. 

He was going into year 3 with EJ and nothing else. The QB offseason landscape didn’t look good. His odds of making the playoffs with EJ were nonexistent. The guy was probably thinking there was a good chance he’d get fired for not making the playoffs after his 3rd season and that the best move for his future was to be remembered as the guy who opted out versus the guy who got fired. 

In addition, McDermott had the house cleaned because I believe the front office was toxic. Whaley and Marone couldn’t get along. The coaching staff and the front office couldn’t get in lockstep. So it’s kinda hard to not see Doug’s side. 

2 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Doug quit. Why? 

- The next year Whaley does something incredibly stupid by trading up for Sammy. 

So, Doug had a 9-7 season and has new owners and an opt out. All things considered he made a good business decision. 

He was going into year 3 with EJ and nothing else. The QB offseason landscape didn’t look good. His odds of making the playoffs with EJ were nonexistent. The guy was probably thinking there was a good chance he’d get fired for not making the playoffs after his 3rd season and that the best move for his future was to be remembered as the guy who opted out versus the guy who got fired. 

In addition, McDermott had the house cleaned because I believe the front office was toxic. Whaley and Marone couldn’t get along. The coaching staff and the front office couldn’t get in lockstep. So it’s kinda hard to not see Doug’s side. 

I don't blame him for what he chose to do, like you said it was the right choice.  I blame him for how he did it.  Ass clown.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, unclepete said:

The Steelers underperformed their talent, which is why I'm not high on Tomlin. 

Tomlin's had his head up his butt ass circling the Pats game(s) and not focusing at the game at hand.  

didnt think it would let me use that word

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

I will never like or forgive Doug Marone. It's how he left not that he left, the escape clause in the contract was not intended so he could double dip and take another job. It was to protect DM in case new ownership wanted to go in another direction. The Pegulas are loyal to a fault and paid a premium for Buffalo which increased the value of every other franchise. I think the other 31 owners tacitly felt the same way which left Marone groveling for  line coach job in Jax. Marone knew EJ was bust at QB and Whaley and Brandon were in over the heads, trying to jusitfy picks and sell tickets hence the reach for Watkins. Then the Rex the Carnival Barker comes in and sets the franchise back another two plus years.

As for the current success at Jax. It's a function of way the NFL is suppose to work with a competent front office. Teams with poor records get high draft picks and should have the cap space to lure free agents like Campbell, Boule and Church.  When you over pay for mediocre talent and draft poorly you get pre McD Bills. If Marone beats New England it won't change my disdain for the man. As for the game I don't care who wins I just want to see carnage.

Edited by Jacobo Peterman

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

Doug quit. Why? 

I've never heard that Marrone "didn't want to draft a QB his first year and he got EJ against his wishes." Sounds like more Marrone sources BS to me.