I've lost all of my Saint Doug hate...

eball

Just to be clear, I didn't say I like Marrone.  I simply said I'm tired of "hating" him and won't waste my time on it.  The story of his mafia-like meeting with Timmah Graham over "mean tweets" still goes down as one of the most bizarre, egotistical, and ill-advised decisions I've ever seen a head coach make.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I liked him as the coach.

He quit on Buffalo, but he never quit on himself. From what we've heard, Buffalo was a ****ty place to work with Whaley around.

I think he was looking out for himself and his family, so I can't blame him.

The overwhelming consensus at the time seemed to be that Buffalo was a ****ty place to work with Marrone around.

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I've never heard that Marrone "didn't want to draft a QB his first year and he got EJ against his wishes." Sounds like more Marrone sources BS to me.

Really? I remember that being something that was fairly well reported. I’ve read it several times since it happened that Buddy Nix was hellbent on drafting “insert QB’s name here” and the scouts said EJ had the highest ceiling and Marone wasn’t down. Sounds like Marone though — I mean he’s a guy who just wants a “steady Eddy” like an Alex Smith or something. 

7 hours ago, unclepete said:

He’s a great coach. And he did a great job when he was in Buffalo. Moreso, he seems to have learned to take more risk. He’s a spineless coward but a really good coach. 

He wasn't spineless when he went for it on 4th and goal from the 1 or 2 early in the game on Saturday.  Really set a tone..."This is the playoffs, we are here to win."

Loved that.  Not sure McDummy would have done the same in same situation, especially early in the game; he probably would have kicked the FG.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

Really? I remember that being something that was fairly well reported. I’ve read it several times since it happened that Buddy Nix was hellbent on drafting “insert QB’s name here” and the scouts said EJ had the highest ceiling and Marone wasn’t down. Sounds like Marone though — I mean he’s a guy who just wants a “steady Eddy” like an Alex Smith or something. 

Only thing I ever heard was that Marrone preferred to keep Fitzpatrick instead of replacing him with Kolb. But Marrone is famous for whining about things that don't work out in hindsight and pretending everyone else was at fault for the things that went wrong.

3 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I want to see Doug beat the Patriots and then watch JAX lose the Super Bowl.

That would work, especially if Minnesota is in the Superbowl; they are one of those rare franchises that has never really harmed the Bills and so I have no hatred for them.

In fact, I kind of like them and would probably root for them, especially as they have never won the big one.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Fadingpain said:

He wasn't spineless when he went for it on 4th and goal from the 1 or 2 early in the game on Saturday.  Really set a tone..."This is the playoffs, we are here to win."

Loved that.  Not sure McDummy would have done the same in same situation, especially early in the game; he probably would have kicked the FG.

You may be too young to remember when Marrone was here but he was so conservative when he was the Bills' head coach he would have punted from the opponent's 1 yard line.

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

That would work, especially if Minnesota is in the Superbowl; they are one of those rare franchises that has never really harmed the Bills and so I have no hatred for them.

In fact, I kind of like them and would probably root for them, especially as they have never won the big one.

Although the idea of Brady's career ending after a Super Bowl loss would be satisfying but New England isn't a good matchup for Minnesota, I think Jacksonville would be the softer target for them.

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

He was pissed about Sammy and EJ and having no power to do anything about it.     Hey first timer Welcome to the NFL.   

He also had to hire the SB winning coach Tom Coughlin to turn that boat in the right direction.  

Rightfully so. Those were maniacal draft choices by the Whaley regime. 

Marrone is nothing special.  If the Jags can beat the Cheaters this weekend, I might change my tune, but I don't see that happening.  His team played the weakest schedule in the NFL, barely beat an offensively-inept Bills team at home, and re-played a team they matched up well with in the Steelers.   

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Haha spineless for quitting on the Bills

It’s funny because I had a bet who would make the playoffs first. We both did. 

Marrone was a great coach with a personality problem. He was changing our culture and things would be much better if he stayed. 

It’s just too bad the guy has no self respect or loyalty. But we don’t know what happened behind the scenes. 

There is no doubt; Marrone was our best coach since Levy. 

The bald ginger has potential but not there yet. 

i suspect he left mainly due to pegula choosing to continue with a flawed management structure.  he didnt want to stake his career on things like brandon and whaley trying to force ej manuel to be good.  

mcdermott got what marrone wanted here.  polian would have been brought in to mold the front office, probably chosen a gm to work with marrone... and we would likely have had a better result in 2015 and 2016.  

I joined a Jags message board the week of our game just to interact with them a bit. Went on today and they are posting that we are all salty about Marrone. I can't speak for everyone but I said many, if not most, are not. We've moved on and we actually hope they win. Our Pats hate supersedes all else.

I found the script leaked on the interwebs, Jags get blown out 42-17, THEN after many kneels, Vikings jump out

to a 35 point lead on the Pats in the sb, THEN Pats score 42 unanswered points in the fourth quarter !

Amazing ! 

On 1/15/2018 at 7:23 AM, unclepete said:

He’s a great coach. And he did a great job when he was in Buffalo. Moreso, he seems to have learned to take more risk. He’s a spineless coward but a really good coach. 

Why do you say he's a spineless coward?  He obviously hated working with Whaley (rightfully so) and he did what was best for himself.  Nothing cowardice about that.  Would the Pegulas been spineless for firing him?

On 1/15/2018 at 7:33 AM, BillsFan2313 said:

I don't like or respect any quitter. Screw that clown. 

You don't have any respect for someone who quits their job?  That's a little harsh, I think slavery was abolished years ago and most people are free to leave their job when they don't like the circumstances.

I have no problem with Marrone, if my work !@#$ing up my contact and gave me a out worth millions I would probably take it too.

3 minutes ago, HT02 said:

Why do you say he's a spineless coward?  He obviously hated working with Whaley (rightfully so) and he did what was best for himself.  Nothing cowardice about that.  Would the Pegulas been spineless for firing him?

You don't have any respect for someone who quits their job?  That's a little harsh, I think slavery was abolished years ago and most people are free to leave their job when they don't like the circumstances.

Agree 100%, if they would've fired Whaley and Brandon was moved far far far away from the Bills then I think he stays. Just speaking to Whaley probably made it happen, Whaley and Brandon are a huge reason for the playoff drought. I will be rooting for the Jaguars to beat the Patriots, it will be a hard game to watch because you have to swallow at least 2 BS calls but I'm going to do it.

• Like (+1) 1

Never had any Doug hate.Liked him as a coach and when he quit I almost felt like the Pegulas forced him out.I wanted Jim Schwartz to take over the head coaching job.At least we have a good young head coach now so all is good....Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1