OC Rick Dennison Fired

KDIGGZ

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s a fair point. They all seemed to like Dorsey though. I think most fans are harder on their coaches than an outsider will be but they generally like good coaches and dislike bad coaches. This is an extreme example but in New Orleans when Ryan and Allen were on the defensive staff most fans wanted Dennis Allen to take the reigns. They were right.

The good and bad coaching in fans eyes are in the on field performance.  That's why good coaches suddenly get bad when they lose talent just like when Norman left the Panthers and McDermott was suddenly a "bad coach"

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But in truth, if it's true he insisted on starting Peterman, I think the honest "cause of firing" would be "made boss look like a fool on a national stage".

This as well as squandering nearly all opportunities the defense gave Dennison's offense to score points and win games that they ended up losing.  I suspect this may be the biggest factor in his firing.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I sit corrected.  So we swapped WR and a 2nd for a 3rd.

And E.J. Gaines.

Sammy and a 3rd for Benjamin, Gaines, and a 2nd. If you're going to look at it that way. Pretty solid value.

Yes Gaines is a UFA. But we got a solid year's work out of him already and probably have an inside track to signing him long term. I don't think he'll break the bank.

Just now, folz said:

And E.J. Gaines.

Sammy and a 3rd for Benjamin, Gaines, and a 2nd. If you're going to look at it that way. Pretty solid value.

Yes Gaines is a UFA. But we got a solid year's work out of him already and probably have an inside track to signing him long term. I don't think he'll break the bank.

Fair point.  Gaines gave good value as a 1 year rental, and I'd like to have him back.

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If McD hires Shula, McD will be out of a job by 2020.  He won’t survive to hire a third OC.

When you put it that way, it does bring to mind how big of a decision this is for McDermott.    He likely won't survive a 3rd one unless the team makes the playoffs again and he fired the new guy next year.    Gotta get it right.   Like the QB.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If McD hires Shula, McD will be out of a job by 2020.  He won’t survive to hire a third OC.

That’s an interesting thought and probably true. I think that firing Rico should be considered a feather in his cap. He was able to admit the mistake and pull the plug without worrying about “how does this look for me?” He will have to get it right with the next one but I am thrilled to see that he had the confidence to do it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s an interesting thought and probably true. I think that firing Rico should be considered a feather in his cap. He was able to admit the mistake and pull the plug without worrying about “how does this look for me?” He will have to get it right with the next one but I am thrilled to see that he had the confidence to do it.

I give him credit for holding his coaches accountable but McD and Beane completely bungled the offense last offseason, from personnel to coaching.  The Pegulas give their management folks two chances - as they should.  Third prize is you’re fired.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well put. I know a lot of fans like continuity, but if something sucks real bad, what is the point of continuity? I'm glad McDermott was willing to pull the plug. I hope he is willing to do the same with one of his cronies in Castillo. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Well put. I know a lot of fans like continuity, but if something sucks real bad, what is the point of continuity? I'm glad McDermott was willing to pull the plug. I hope he is willing to do the same with one of his cronies in Castillo. 

Maybe Castillo will be the new Danny Crossman.....UNTOUCHABLE

• Haha (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I sit corrected.  So we swapped WR and a 2nd for a 3rd.

I think it remains to be seen for each trade.  Benjamin had roughly the same per-game production as Watkins this year, can't claim we gained there.

Certainly if the Bills cut Benjamin after trading a 3rd for him, or pay him $8M because he won't reno into an unknown QB situation, he'll need to produce well next year.

If the Rams wind up franchising Watkins for $15.6M or letting him go after trading a 2nd for him, won't look smart of them will it?

Benjamin played with a torn miniscus, he wasn't healthy.

4 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

To be fair, all fans usually hate all coaches save for a few examples.  It's never favourite players who are at fault.

This is 100% true. Fans always blame coaching because they want it to be possible to change 1 guy and the whole thing to get better.

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is 100% true. Fans always blame coaching because they want it to be possible to change 1 guy and the whole thing to get better.

Bring back to power run blocking scheme full time. That would be a 1 guy decision that would help tremendously.

Edit- Meaning that Castillo goes too!!!

Edited by Spiderweb

I just read in the Syracuse article that in the last 7 games we only scored ONE OFFENSIVE TOUCHDOWN in the second half and that was By Kyle Williams !!!

16 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

so does Dunkirk Don get credit for this? lol

:worthy:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

Bring back to power run blocking scheme full time. That would be a 1 guy decision that would help tremendously.

Edit- Meaning that Castillo goes too!!!

Which power run blocking scheme? The one Doug Marrone used? Because Roman's scheme was a complete hybrid. We ran plenty of zone blocking under Greg Roman. His scheme had power run concepts in it but it had a lone of zone blocking in it too. A lot of our big play runs in 2016 were inside zone.