Bills miss out on London games for '18-'19 season

Roundybout

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Poor Raiders, Jaguars, and Chargers...

Do not mind at all 3 teams we will potentially be vying with for playoff contention having this disadvantage. 

It's ideal that these are the home teams.

The Chargers play in a soccer stadium, and the Raiders are in a lame duck city.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Meh.  10 hr flight, they can snooze on a red eye.

Why?  These games a ratings winners.   More so than MNF.

I must admit I don't hate them as much as I used to now that they show most of the games on standard networks. But making them available only through NFL Network  is a garbage money making scheme. 

From a players stand point, 4 days in between games is not enough time to recuperate and prepare for the next week IMO. I know a few of our players complained about it after the spanking we took on Thursday night and I know a number of other players around the league have voiced a similar concern. 

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

NFL Europe was a bust!  The uber crazy commissioner likes a reason to go to London.  He says it's successful, but most of us would disagree.

I'm sure it is successful to a degree.

If the NFL wants to have real success in Europe, they would forget about London, and play these overseas games in Germany. NFL football is very popular there.

During the last years of NFL Europe, I believe it was 5 of the 8 teams in the league, played in Germany.

18 minutes ago, NextYear'sTheOne said:

I must admit I don't hate them as much as I used to now that they show most of the games on standard networks. But making them available only through NFL Network  is a garbage money making scheme. 

From a players stand point, 4 days in between games is not enough time to recuperate and prepare for the next week IMO. I know a few of our players complained about it after the spanking we took on Thursday night and I know a number of other players around the league have voiced a similar concern. 

They are simulcast on network TV (NBC/CBS) for 10 games a year.

Also, I really am not concerned about these guys complaining about playing a game for tons of money and being jetted all over the globe to play a game.  They are entertainers paid to entertained.  They should spare their fans their complaints about the tough life they live.

34 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm sure it is successful to a degree.

If the NFL wants to have real success in Europe, they would forget about London, and play these overseas games in Germany. NFL football is very popular there.

During the last years of NFL Europe, I believe it was 5 of the 8 teams in the league, played in Germany.

London is the place to be though and the common language assists massively. There are plenty of Germans and Dutch and Scandanavians who come over for the games. 

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I absolutely hate games outside the US.  England and most of the world outside of the US love soccer, and they can keep those borefests...keep the NFL games here.  Not sure if this is anything more than a money grab for the NFL and the teams involved.

Go back to NFL Europe is they really have a yearning for American Football.

I hear this, but at the same time, the London game a few years ago was a blast and people there were very into it.   I don't see the harm as long as it's only a few games.

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

It's ideal that these are the home teams.

The Chargers play in a soccer stadium, and the Raiders are in a lame duck city.

What no one wants to consider is, there may no longer be 32 American cities who are willing to consistently support a team and it's financial demands.

Makes sense for Jax because when they first made their deal for an annual game (like Bills in Toronto) they couldn't fill their stadium.  For all I know maybe they still can't.

Makes sense for Chargers because they play in a tiny stadium so all they have to do is swallow the travel (and have their bye the following week) to get a nice payday.

As for the Raiders . . . maybe everyone has to go at least once and they wanted theirs out of the way before they move to Vegas and a big new stadium.  Since they're running out on Oakland fans anyway, what's one less home game there and one more crap on the home fans? 

15 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

Makes sense for Jax because when they first made their deal for an annual game (like Bills in Toronto) they couldn't fill their stadium.  For all I know maybe they still can't.

Jaguars still have to use tarps to cover the upper deck in the regular season.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Aww how cute. The annual protectionist "Europeans don't understand football so give us our games back" thread. 

Forget that we sell the games out, forget that tv audiences are up this side of the pond (can't all say that can we?) Anyway you partly have your wish.... 3 games next year down from 4 in 2017.   

Nice that we had the typical "give them NFL Europe back if they must have something." Yea... we didn't much like that cos the product was ****. I'd rather watch the CFL. It's part of the reason soccer still hasn't caught on over there - I've tried to watch MLS games and they are brutal. Ever likely you don't go. 

I will go to the game at Tottenham this year because it is less than 2 miles from home and if it is an early game I will be able to get back for the vast majority of the Bills game at home. 

Right, you can all go back to your isolationist bliss now. The international series is here to stay. 

Just because Americans could good give a rats ass about how other countries feel about American Football does not make us isolationists.

Are Europeans isolationists because they continue to try and force feed soccer down Americans throats, via some assorted individual billionaires who love soccor, when Americans have clearly and strongly demonstrated they don't like it?

Edited by cba fan

6 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Jaguars still have to use tarps to cover the upper deck in the regular season.

and then also use the 85K that show up in London for their designated 8th home game as part of their avg to show that are not that far away from other NFL team avgs.

Edited by cba fan

17 minutes ago, cba fan said:

and then also use the 85K that show up in London for their designated 8th home game as part of their avg to show that are not that far away from other NFL team avgs.

I suspect they're going to moving there before too long.  They already have an office there and they play there EVERY YEAR.

32 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Just because Americans could good give a rats ass about how other countries feel about American Football does not make us isolationists.

Are Europeans isolationists because they continue to try and force feed soccer down Americans throats, via some assorted individual billionaires who love soccor, when Americans have clearly and strongly demonstrated they don't like it?

It's not because you don't give a rat's ass.... it is because you think you somehow have a monopoly on enjoying and understanding it. You don't. The NFL gets that. Sadly many of its fans don't. 

Edited by GunnerBill

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I absolutely hate games outside the US.  England and most of the world outside of the US love soccer, and they can keep those borefests...keep the NFL games here.  Not sure if this is anything more than a money grab for the NFL and the teams involved.

Go back to NFL Europe is they really have a yearning for American Football.

I second this emotion.

The NFL is in dire need of a development league, anyway.  This would satisfy both needs.  Only thing left is to allow players to join as early as right out of high school.