Bleacher Report Ranks 3 Bills DT's as Worst in The NFL

4 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

In this report from The Bleacher Report writer Brandon Thorn ranks all of the 104 defensive tackles in the NFL that played a significant amount of time in the league.  You can read the criteria they used which includes numeric scores in bunch of different areas.  

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2751939-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-defensive-tackles-of-2017-season

What shocked me is that out of 104 Defensive Tackles, three of the players that starter on the interior of the defensive Bills DT's rank dead freakin' last.  In fact Here is the breakdown of their line:

#104 Cedric Thronton

#103 Adolphus Washington 

#102 Jerel Worthy

#25 Kyle Williams

(In case you are interested, Marcel Dareus ranked #27)

So according to this article Kyle still ranked pretty decent, though most fans could see he's not the player he was a few years ago.  While these rankings are obviously objective, I think it says a lot about the weaknesses of the Bills front 7, a weakness that is compounded by linebackers who sometimes don't fill quick enough and/or don't get off blocks.

The fact that the Bills weren't victimized worse on the ground by Fournette and the #1 ranked rushing offense yesterday is quite a feat.

Kyle had the same stats as 3 yrs ago, he's fine and played same as usual to me.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

Not that I am defending these guys - I have no opinion,  but what are the chances of the 3 of them - from 1 team, being ranked consecutively?  Slim to none, I'd say.  Looks like typical Bleacher Report laziness to me!

#104 Cedric Thronton

#103 Adolphus Washington 

#102 Jerel Worthy

Bingo. Brandon thorn? Dudes bio is pretty slim.

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Adolphus Washington... another Whaley gem.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Rex

Actually, I think it was the D line coach John Blake who may have played the biggest role in landing Washington. 

Obviously Whaley and Rex played a role in it and had to ok it + pull the trigger, but Whaley said after they took him that John Blake thought Washington was the best pure pass rusher in the draft and that he really pushed for the Bills to draft him. Whaley said he (Blake) was thrilled when the Bills took him. 

I think its it's too early to give up on Washington though. They definitely need to upgrade the starting DT position but there's really no reason not to keep him around as a rotation guy and try to develop him (unless some team wants to give up a decent draft pick for him...). 

1. The front 7 is a mess.  I asiad it was worse than the QB situation and I will stick by that.  The reality is they will replace the QB but if they do through the draft they will need to address DT in FA.

2. Washington is a big disappointment. I thought he was a bad pick for a 3-4 and thought he would do well as a DT.  DT is one of the hardest positions to transition from college.  A bit too early to give up on him and he is not that expensive.  

3. if KW retires, they don't have enough draft picks to address the front 7 even if they don't take a QB.  Hopefully they can land a FA LB and DL

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Would be great to get this guy.

The more I see this kid the more I want him on this defense. Pure strength. He moves grown men around like they’re empty cardboard boxes

This can of worms was always going to open up, once the season finished.

Pretty much was inevitable, the moment they shipped Dareus out. 

It was likely to be an 'issue' (DT), even if they hadn't done that, due to the impending retirement of Kyle - this year, next - it's coming up fast.

Simply put, if Kyle Williams retires now, we don't have a starting calibre DT on the roster - and that is paying no mind to the bleacher report 'rankings', just the evidence of your eyes.

If Kyle retires, DT becomes our biggest need, over and above QB. 

It's a somewhat bizarre system. Why are only 97 points available? Why are guys who play certain positions automatically given more value than guys who play other positions?

It's also based on giving good scores to do-it-all guys who can do everything well. So if they were ranking Teddy Washington they'd have graded him down based on his inability to rush the passer. Nothing wrong with that, but it's taking points away from guys who aren't meant to be used as multi-use guys.

IMHO our current interior guys with the exception of Kyle are mostly run stoppers, not much on the pass rush. It's safe to say they're not as bad as they're ranking them. Our interior line has been decent this year. Not a terrific group but not bad. Which is why even with our so-so LBs we haven't been awful at stopping the run through most of the season, thought there were some bad games and even runs of games.

They also don't rank Coleman, probably as he was brought in so late.

An upgrade would help, though, if they can get one.

Edited by Thurman#1

Vea is alleged to be amazingly strong to go with his size, and freakishly quick.  Interestingly, that is a lot like Dareus was alleged to be coming out of Alabama.  You never want to paint a player with the experience you had with another player.  Dareus' head was never in the right place.  Hopefully, Vea doesn't have that issue.

I don’t think our DT play was as bad as indicated in these ratings but in general our front seven is mediocre.  

We have trouble with strong running teams and had to sell out on the run to stop Jax.  No way could we do that against Bres and the Saints.  

I think a DT and an LB will be high on the draft list.  Hopefully we don’t use too many picks chasing a QB which of course is first priority.