Sammy Watkins Wants to Stay with the Rams - Hits the Open Market

10 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Kupp is decent (a solid JAG), but Goff is overly reliant on him — he looks his way too often in tight-game situations.  As Watkins, who is a LOT better, gets integrated into the offense, I expect his numbers will go up and Kupp’s will go down.

Kupp also lived with Goff for a short time. The two are close friends. Never underestimate the impact that has on targets, and comfort level for the QB.  I’m sure they will spend time working together in the off-season as well. I can envision Kupp being an integral part of that offense for the foreseeable future. If Sammy sees an increase in targets, it won’t be due to a decrease in Kupp’s imo. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

50 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Can’t - the Bills would of had to exercise that last off-season and declined.  The Rams only option is the tag.

Well, that, or trying to sign him to a contract. If he TRULY wants to stay, he could avoid the free agent market and sign with the Rams. 

Just now, teef said:

wow if sammy gets this.  he needs to take his agent on vacation or something.  

If he's tagged, it'll be because of the value the Rams place on him.  That won't have anything to do with his agent.  His agent comes into play if he negotiates an extension for Sammy. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

If he's tagged, it'll be because of the value the Rams place on him.  That won't have anything to do with his agent.  His agent comes into play if he negotiates an extension for Sammy. 

that's very true.  good for sammy.  the legend of his supposed greatness is going to make him a wealthy man.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Rams would be insane to pay him that kind of money.  You would have to think that internal to the team it would create problems.

it certainly is something that could blow up in their faces if he production doesn't skyrocket.  

51 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Look up the word reportedly.  Like I said,  nonsense. 

Leave the title changes for real news. Not the opinions of a single person. "Will reportedly receive" means Ian Rapaport or Adam Schefter tweeted it. Not some random dude who stated an opinion. Be better.

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Leave the title changes for real news. Not the opinions of a single person. "Will reportedly receive" means Ian Rapaport or Adam Schefter tweeted it. Not some random dude who stated an opinion. Be better.

It wasn't just some random dude. Start your own thread and you can do as you see fit. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Don’t get snooty with me, Patricia.  I merely offered the opinion that the ~16 million franchise tag price might be more than Watkins is worth.

Look at my posting history, Biff.  I’ve never bashed SW.  I think he is good.  I don’t think he is top 5.   Not even close.  So go do some breathing exercises, take a bong hit, and light a candle.

Peace and love.

That's where I am on this. I like Watkins, and was devastated when we traded him. He probably does more than the stat sheet shows.

But he's not Antonio Brown, AJ Green and Julio Jones good. That's what he'd be getting paid.

FWIW, PFT is reporting from the same article that he's "expected" to be tagged:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/11/report-rams-expected-to-franchise-tag-sammy-watkins/

And it's a smart move by the Rams.

He's 24, healthy, and extremely productive when targeted. They've got the cap room to give him a one-year deal to prove what he can do with an entire offseason with the team, so why not?

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The Rams would be insane to pay him that kind of money.  You would have to think that internal to the team it would create problems.

Gotta remember how the market moves. Davante Adams, who's never had a 1,000-yard season despite playing with Aaron Rodgers, just got $14.5M AAV.

Sammy exceeded Adams' best season in 9 games in 2015 playing with Tyrod Taylor in an offense that passes the ball less than every other team in the league 

His agent will have a case for $15M

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/11/report-rams-expected-to-franchise-tag-sammy-watkins/

He's 24, healthy, and extremely productive when targeted. They've got the cap room to give him a one-year deal to prove what he can do with an entire offseason with the team, so why not?

Buffalo fans have a tendency to denigrate players that they don't like. He is a top tier receiver who had the misfortune to play in Buffalo when the qb  position was under water. He went to LA at a late stage and was not able to establish an on field rapport with the young qb who had a tendency to focus on the other two good receivers.  If Watkins stays in LA and has an opportunity to work out with Goff I'm confident that he will be an instrumental player on a team with a potent passing attack. 

Watkins is capable of being a dynamic player. Playing with an emerging young qb who is going to be one of the better qbs in the league is an outstanding situation for him. And it can't be forgotten that McVay is already recognized as a talented offensive mind in contrast to the troglodyte Rex he previously played for. When all the factors are taken into consideration Watkins is in a very good situation in LA from an individual and team standpoint. 

25 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Gotta remember how the market moves. Davante Adams, who's never had a 1,000-yard season despite playing with Aaron Rodgers, just got $14.5M AAV.

Sammy exceeded Adams' best season in 9 games in 2015 playing with Tyrod Taylor in an offense that passes the ball less than every other team in the league 

His agent will have a case for $15M

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Buffalo fans have a tendency to denigrate players that they don't like. He is a top tier receiver who had the misfortune to play in Buffalo when the qb  position was under water. He went to LA at a late stage and was not able to establish an on field rapport with the young qb who had a tendency to focus on the other two good receivers.  If Watkins stays in LA and has an opportunity to work out with Goff I'm confident that he will be an instrumental player on a team with a potent passing attack. 

Watkins is capable of being a dynamic player. Playing with an emerging young qb who is going to be one of the better qbs in the league is an outstanding situation for him. And it can't be forgotten that McVay is already recognized as a talented offensive mind in contrast to the troglodyte Rex he previously played for. When all the factors are taken into consideration Watkins is in a very good situation in LA from an individual and team standpoint. 

I agree, 100%, that Sam Watkins has the ability to be an elite receiver.

The criticisms that Sam received from Bills fans was warranted.  He was not a team player.  He said stupid things to the media.  He said stupid things on social media.  He was selfish and he chose to sit rather than play through discomfort - multiple games.

Did he get less targets in LA because Goff liked throwing to the other two receivers more?  Or was that lack of a "connection" due to his "me first" attitude?

I will definitely agree that this was a smart move by the Rams; they'd be crazy NOT to tag him.  It'll be a wait and see situation to know whether he can get out of the way of his ego and become the receiver he's capable of.