With the 21st and 22nd pick the BuffaloBills Select....

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Idk but that does not mean they wont.  Cleveland has the 4th so I think that either pick could be in play.  Cleveland may like Allen the best but dont want to pick him over Darnold or Rosen so they trade 1.  Or they get there Qb at 1 and pick up 3 first rounder for 4.  The Giants may think that with the return of Beckham they are much closer to winning with Eli than without him and push hard to build around him.  Lineman are not as high this year they pick up our picks this year and sure up their line and use our pick next year for the Qb of the future.  Maybe no one trades out of the top 10 but recent history tells you otherwise.  3 first rounders will have any organizations attention add in 2 this year allows poor rosters to get 2 starters for this year.  

You're trying to hard.

The Browns are going to pick Darnold or Rosen, and then the Giants are going to draft the other guy.

Who else are we trading up for? 

On 1/7/2018 at 6:38 PM, Reed83HOF said:

Lots of people still want to build a team and basically ignore QB, that has worked so well in the past...

Taking the best QB at your available spot generally = JP Losman 4th best QB talent...

+1 I'm tired of not taking an actual shot an trying for a good QB

On 1/7/2018 at 6:32 PM, Xwnyer said:

Do not trade the 21 and 22 and other picks to get up high I. The draft.  Take what’s their at 21and 22or drop down further picking up more picks to fill roster with elite talent.   If a QB is there that you like at 18or so maybe move up to get him

Losing mentality right here. We're not a great football team, the focus has to be drafting a QB and a better OL to protect him

On 1/7/2018 at 7:31 PM, NewEraBills said:

For me I'd take

21 Quenton Nelson Guard ND.

22 Vita Vae or Christian Wilkins if they are there

Nelson is a top 12 pick, not gonna happen

On 1/7/2018 at 8:29 PM, Real McCoy said:

I'd take this all day! If Vita is Gone give me Roquon Smith or Josh Allen at LB

Roquon Smith is a top 15 player

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

I dislike a lot of this...

- Unless Gaines takes a deal in the 8-9 AAV range, I'm not interested.  He seems to get hurt in every game.

- No thanks on Preston Brown; I can find a 2-down thumper that can't cover on day 3 of the draft if I need one.

- I'm not breaking the bank to the tune of $10M AAV+ for Norwell or $11M AAV+ for Star in FA.  I'd much rather spend 1/3 of that on Chris Hubbard and Justin Ellis, respectively.

- I equate Rudolph to Paxton Lynch, so he's not on my radar until day 3.

Washington, Kizer, Lowell, and Chubb I am in agreement on.

Eventually, you need to start taking bites at the apple if you want long-term success.

Better to pull the trigger too early on a guy that doesn't work out (EJ) than to wait too long on a guy that does (Dak/Wilson/Dalton/Cousins)

Norwell is one of the BEST guards in the league, I'd pay for him.

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

You're trying to hard.

The Browns are going to pick Darnold or Rosen, and then the Giants are going to draft the other guy.

You never know what will happen. Look at where Watson and Mahomes went last year. You can find good QB outside of the top 2 picks. Just have to hope they are drafted into the right situation for them to succeed 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

You're trying to hard.

Again as i stated idk why a team would trade out of taking a Qb when it appears they need one.  That also has not stopped franchises in the past from doing so completely disregarding it is not accurate.  Allen or Jackson I would still trade up for if Darnold or Rosen are not obtainable.  Both are the most gifted prospect and neither will be there at 21.  With the top guys gone the price wouldn't be as high but Indy and Cleveland imo would listen for offers.  Outside of those four no other Qb in the draft has franchise caliber potential you essentially are hoping to hit the lottery that one of these other guys play much better than anyone projected them to.  

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

How about 21, 22, and Glenn?

In what world is Cordy Glenn worth a first round pick? 

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

You never know what will happen. Look at where Watson and Mahomes went last year. You can find good QB outside of the top 2 picks. Just have to hope they are drafted into the right situation for them to succeed 

I agree with the sentiment we don't need the top pick, I guess I just don't think either of those guys are on Watson's level. 

A lot of teams in the top 10 need a QB, and I think the price we'll have to pay to move up that high will be enormous, and I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk of giving up multiple first rounders for a guy who history says probably won't work out. 

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

OK, Mr. Colts GM, here's my counteroffer: 21, 22, our 3rd round pick, and Glenn. Deal?

No thanks. Give me a third 1st round pick, or two 2nd round picks.

Adding a LT who has been very injury prone for the past two years, who is making $14 mil/year isn't something I want to add to my roster. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

No thanks. Give me a third 1st round pick, or two 2nd round picks.

Adding a LT who has been very injury prone for the past two years, who is making $14 mil/year isn't something I want to add to my roster. 

Because your offensive line is so good?

Okay: 21, 22, 3rd round pick, 2019 4th round pick, and Glenn. Deal?

Because your offensive line is so good?

Okay: 21, 22, 3rd round pick, 2019 4th round pick, and Glenn. Deal?

The value doesn't add up on the draft value chart. I'd be pretty confident someone else would offer market value for my pick. 

The Colts are rebuilding. They need draft picks to fill out their roster. They're not going to do us a favour and take Glenn and his contract off our hands because we want to get rid of it.

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

The value doesn't add up on the draft value chart. I'd be pretty confident someone else would offer market value for my pick. 

The Colts are rebuilding. They need draft picks to fill out their roster. They're not going to do us a favour and take Glenn and his contract off our hands because we want to get rid of it.

No they'll do it because their highly paid franchise QB has had the $#!+ beat out of him and missed this whole season.

If you do 21, 22, our 2nd round pick, and Glenn (who would be valued as a high 3rd round pick, not terrible for a starting LT), then that equals out.  

5 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

No they'll do it because their highly paid franchise QB has had the $#!+ beat out of him and missed this whole season.

If you do 21, 22, our 2nd round pick, and Glenn (who would be valued as a high 3rd round pick, not terrible for a starting LT), then that equals out.  

Now you're starting to make sense.

So we'd walk away with Mayfield, a late 2nd round pick and a late 3rd round pick. Mayfield better work out and work out quickly because we have a lot of holes to fill. 

I'm probably more inclined to see who falls to #21, and then keep the #22, our two seconds and our third, and really give the overall roster an upgrade. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

IDk about the Colts but if I'm the Bills and I want a top 5 pick I'd look to ship Cordy to the Giants. I think they believe they can make a run with the team they have. Colts needs to rebuild so I doubt they'd make the trade.

Edited by CuddyDark

Just now, jrober38 said:

Now you're starting to make sense.

So we'd walk away with Mayfield, a late 2nd round pick and a late 3rd round pick. Mayfield better work out and work out quickly because we have a lot of holes to fill. 

I'm probably more inclined to see who falls to #21, and then keep the #22, our two seconds and our third, and really give the roster an upgrade. 

Just haggling ;)

And this only happens if OBD determines Mayfield is a franchise guy. But that's well worth it if they do indeed think that. Right now, and I've looked at zero tape, but my gut tells me that Mayfield is the clear cut QB3 of this draft and will be a good starter. 

An upgraded roster isn't doing anything if we have no QB, ya know? Unless we're going the Jags D with Bortles route, which... yeah, no. 

I'd be okay with Mayfield, and using the other high picks to hopefully grab 2 BPAs at OG/DT/DE/LB. 

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Just haggling ;)

And this only happens if OBD determines Mayfield is a franchise guy. But that's well worth it if they do indeed think that. Right now, and I've looked at zero tape, but my gut tells me that Mayfield is the clear cut QB3 of this draft and will be a good starter. 

An upgraded roster isn't doing anything if we have no QB, ya know? Unless we're going the Jags D with Bortles route, which... yeah, no. 

I'd be okay with Mayfield, and using the other high picks to hopefully grab 2 BPAs at OG/DT/DE/LB. 

It'll be a fun offseason. 

We're going to get a new QB, and I'm hopeful that the success we had this year will make us more appealing to veteran free agents who can help us fill out the roster. 

I think the defensive front seven needs a total overhaul, so I'm hoping we can turn that side of the ball into a crutch for our soon to be QB to lean on as they develop their first couple seasons. We have a really good secondary, but need to improve the pass rush and run defense in the middle and I think we need multiple draft picks to do those things. 

15 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

It'll be a fun offseason. 

We're going to get a new QB, and I'm hopeful that the success we had this year will make us more appealing to veteran free agents who can help us fill out the roster. 

I think the defensive front seven needs a total overhaul, so I'm hoping we can turn that side of the ball into a crutch for our soon to be QB to lean on as they develop their first couple seasons. We have a really good secondary, but need to improve the pass rush and run defense in the middle and I think we need multiple draft picks to do those things. 

I'm hoping we can fill at least one starter between OG/DT/DE/LB from FA. 

Hopefully, like I said before, we can then get (in this trade scenario) two starters in rounds 2 and 3 at OG/DT/DE/LB. 

Worst case scenario then is we have a QB and one of either Ducasse, Washington, Yarbrough, or Alexander as a starter (assuming Milano has earned a starting LB spot). 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

Norwell is one of the BEST guards in the league, I'd pay for him.

I happen to think that Norwell is one of the 4 best guards in football

I'm also not going to pay him $12M/year to play marginally better football than the current LG, who costs 60% that much.

For me, I'm much more willing to shift Glenn over to RT and make a play for Yanda if/when he gets released (or Hubbard if Baltimore keeps Yanda) and roll with a front 5 of Dawkins-Richie-Wood-Yanda/Hubbard-Glenn.

I doubt Glenn will stay on the team through next year and I'd rather have Norwell, who is 7 years younger than Yanda, but that's just my personal matter of preference. If we're going with a young QB I want the best line possible in front of him and I don't have a problem paying for it.

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I doubt Glenn will stay on the team through next year and I'd rather have Norwell, who is 7 years younger than Yanda, but that's just my personal matter of preference. If we're going with a young QB I want the best line possible in front of him and I don't have a problem paying for it.

Sounds good to me. 

O-line is something I definitely don't mind us investing a lot of money into. 

16 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I happen to think that Norwell is one of the 4 best guards in football

I'm also not going to pay him $12M/year to play marginally better football than the current LG, who costs 60% that much.

For me, I'm much more willing to shift Glenn over to RT and make a play for Yanda if/when he gets released (or Hubbard if Baltimore keeps Yanda) and roll with a front 5 of Dawkins-Richie-Wood-Yanda/Hubbard-Glenn.

That's $14 million for a RT. Higher by any other starting RT by $3 million. 

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

rudolph has improved every year he's played. I'd take a hard look at him and it would be tough to pass on him

I've  watched Rosen every snap, as a Bruin season ticket holder, and I'd take Randolph over him any day. Mason Rudolph will have a good combine and Senior Bowl. He'll end up probably top 15 pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

And?

i don't have to pay Dawkins LT $$ for a bare minimum of 2 more years, during which time I have him as one of the cheapest LTs in the game, so what's the problem?

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

And?

i don't have to pay Dawkins LT $$ for a bare minimum of 2 more years, during which time I have him as one of the cheapest LTs in the game, so what's the problem?

The problem is you're still making Glenn the highest paid RT in the league by far when you could find a serviceable starter for 1/2 to 2/3 of his price. Plus, you could probably trade him for a pick or player. 

If you have a good young cheap WR1 you still don't want to make your WR2 the highest paid WR2 in the league.  

The problem is you're still making Glenn the highest paid RT in the league by far when you could find a serviceable starter for 1/2 to 2/3 of his price. Plus, you could probably trade him for a pick or player. 

If you have a good young cheap WR1 you still don't want to make your WR2 the highest paid WR2 in the league.  

That's very outdated thinking 

It is literally illegal (per the CBA) to give Dawkins a new deal prior to the completion of his 3rd accrued season, so even if you got rid of Glenn and brought in someone at 1/3 of his price, you're still paying your RT far more than your LT.

Me? I'd prefer to have he best set of tackles that I can. Having them at a total cap hit of $15M is fine by me.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's very outdated thinking 

It is literally illegal (per the CBA) to give Dawkins a new deal prior to the completion of his 3rd accrued season, so even if you got rid of Glenn and brought in someone at 1/3 of his price, you're still paying your RT far more than your LT.

Me? I'd prefer to have he best set of tackles that I can. Having them at a total cap hit of $15M is fine by me.

Don't you want to have the best balance of cost/talent at every position? I'd take a top 15 RT at $8-9 million per year over Glenn at $14 million per year. 

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Don't you want to have the best balance of cost/talent at every position? I'd take a top 15 RT at $8-9 million per year over Glenn at $14 million per year. 

No.

I want the best team that I can field.

You want to downgrade the set of tackles for the sake of creating cap space on a roster that is slated to have upwards of $50M of it once Taylor is released.

You can have a Dawkins/Glenn set of tackles at their current contracts--just as was planned when Dawkins was drafted--or you can choose to mess with it and create a hole that doesn't exist.

This team has enough holes in the roster; creating more of them is a poor approach to improving IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Here's the thing.

If you really want a franchise QB, now's the time to do it. Smith has proven he isn't a franchise QB, so trading for him isn't the long-term answer. You either grab one in FA (Cousins is about as close as you can get to that), or you grab one in the draft.

If you're not sold on Cousins, then this is your opportunity to draft one. Not next year, this year. Why? Because this is the year you have the draft capital to grab the guy you want. If all goes as planned, they won't be anywhere near the top of the draft next year, and they won't have the same draft capital to move up. So unless Cousins is the man, then it's time to draft a franchise QB.

The real question is: do you think a guy will be there at #21 who can fill that role, or do you need to move up to get him? To me, it's now or never.

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

That’s more than offset by Dawkins’ relative peanuts.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No.

You want to downgrade the set of tackles for the sake of creating cap space on a roster that is slated to have upwards of $50M of it once Taylor is released.

You can have a Dawkins/Glenn set of tackles at their current contracts--just as was planned when Dawkins was drafted--or you can choose to mess with it and create a hole that doesn't exist.

This team has enough holes in the roster; creating more of them is a poor approach to improving IMO.

^This. The idea is to get your best five O linemen on the field. 

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No.

If the team has enough holes on the roster, then I would think you would want even more $ to spend on those holes.

Given that Glenn has barely played and is at a real risk to continue not playing, that is a hole that already exists. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

That’s more than offset by Dawkins’ relative peanuts.

^This. The idea is to get your best five O linemen on the field. 

Hypothetical: you have 4/5 OL positions filled with viable starters who all cost below average salaries - do you then pay the 5th OLman $20 million per year just because the other 4 offset it?

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If the team has enough holes on the roster, then I would think you would want even more $ to spend on those holes.

Given that Glenn has barely played and is at a real risk to continue not playing, that is a hole that already exists. 

Hypothetical: you have 4/5 OL positions filled with viable starters who all cost below average salaries - do you then pay the 5th OLman $20 million per year just because the other 4 offset it?

Depends entirely on who that fifth lineman is and what position he fills up front. 

1 minute ago, Tatonka68 said:

How about drafting Josh Allen QB and Mason Rudolph QB. One of them has to pan out and if they both do, never happen, you could trade one for a schidt load of picks.

Are you saying we could trade the one who didn’t pan out for a crap load of picks? 

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

They have plenty of cap room to address needs.

They can sign a corner (Gaines or otherwise), a DT (i.e. Justin Ellis), and a speed WR (I like Brice Butler or Paul Richardson)--all in the Hyde/Poyer mold of undervalued player--and still have room to sign their treasure trove of draft picks with space to spare.

If you can't come away from the draft with a QB, pass rusher, and MLB with the number of picks that Buffalo has, then hang 'em up. 

You fill in the rest (backup RB, backup QB, etc) with low-end FAs and UDFAs.

9 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

+1 I'm tired of not taking an actual shot an trying for a good QB

I'm just over it. Look at what it has done for Phi and the Rams...There is no position of greater importance

Our 2 shots were JP and EJ

Please no more QBs with 2 initials

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, jrober38 said:

That's great.

Doesn't mean a lot though considering the top 2 QBs will be long gone by then. 

Maybe the Bills will think the 3rd or 4th best QB's have just as much ability or NFL potential as the top 2.

Or if we're really desperate, we have an extra 2nd, extra 5th and all of 2019's draft picks to go from 8 to Top 3.

17 hours ago, Rubes said:

Here's the thing.

If you really want a franchise QB, now's the time to do it. Smith has proven he isn't a franchise QB, so trading for him isn't the long-term answer. You either grab one in FA (Cousins is about as close as you can get to that), or you grab one in the draft.

If you're not sold on Cousins, then this is your opportunity to draft one. Not next year, this year. Why? Because this is the year you have the draft capital to grab the guy you want. If all goes as planned, they won't be anywhere near the top of the draft next year, and they won't have the same draft capital to move up. So unless Cousins is the man, then it's time to draft a franchise QB.

The real question is: do you think a guy will be there at #21 who can fill that role, or do you need to move up to get him? To me, it's now or never.

I agree with your assessment.  Its unanimous that Buffalo needs improved Qb play.  This year Buffalo has the cap flexability and draft capital to sign, trade or draft a franchise caliber QB.  If Buffalo does not do 1 or 2 of the options I suggested to obtain a Franchise caliber or potential Qb I would call this offseason a complete failure.