Checking in with the Jags message board

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

They are not very gap disciplined for such a talented defense.

they like to attack and shoot upfield which leads to overpursuing and they can be beat on counters

pull out Read options and draws and run it down their throats

I started thinking that it might be best in passing situations, to have Taylor improvise the whole game.  The front 4 will wear out chasing him around all game long.  

Taylor just runs around, finds the broken coverage down field.  Boom.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I started thinking that it might be best in passing situations, to have Taylor improvise the whole game.  The front 4 will wear out chasing him around all game long.  

Taylor just runs around, finds the broken coverage down field.  Boom.

Spread them out and run around is a great 1 game strategy against this defense 

TT excels at that and it might be key to the game

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Their QB is Bortles. We have a chance.

While true, a lot of fans also claimed the same thing in regards to opposing QB's when we faced the Jets, Bengals and Panthers (with a hobbled Newton).

In fact I think this game is going to be very similar to Carolina in terms of our offense being able to do very little against the Jags defense. This means we have to hope that Bortles plays like Newton did in week 2 against us and turns the ball over to win.

Either way Jags went 6-2 at home this year just like the Bills and their only losses were against the Titans and Rams early in the season (both also playoff teams). They pretty much dominated all their other opponents at home including the Seahawks and Russell Wilson.

11 minutes ago, billspro said:

I think if we keep Fournette around 3.5 ypc and we don't turn the ball over we will win this game. If we are able to control their running game we will put them into some uncomfortable passing situations. I would expect our secondary to force 2 ints if that is the case. I also think Haushka will get us a couple of long field goals on shorter drives around 30-40 yards against their amazing defence. 

Bills 19 Jags 13

Bortles 210 yards 0 TDs, 2 ints

Fournette 27 carries 80 yards, 1 TD

Taylor 175 yards passing, 25 yards rushing, 0TDs 0ints

McCoy 15 Carries 60 yards 1 TD

The Patriots were rushing against a nickel defence, we will be stacking 8 in the box this week. 

Dont see how bills get to 19 unless thevdefense chips in. My quess is 4 fgs.  Especially with a gimpy mccoy

2 hours ago, MDH said:

Bills simply need to stop the run. If they can effectively shut down the Jags' run game and make Bortles beat them they have a great shot at winning. If Bortles has a great game and they lose I can live with that. If they get dominated with 200 rushing yards against it will be painful to watch.

This 100%.

4 hours ago, yungmack said:

Interesting Dareus factoid: The Jags went from dead last in run defense to 12th for the regular season after he was traded to them. They are, I believe, 7th overall since he joined them.

I heard a Jacksonville beat writer yesterday say they went from dead last to 21st in run defense since Dareus came there.?

4 hours ago, yungmack said:

Interesting Dareus factoid: The Jags went from dead last in run defense to 12th for the regular season after he was traded to them. They are, I believe, 7th overall since he joined them.

Ritchie will have him crying by half time ;) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I heard a Jacksonville beat writer yesterday say they went from dead last to 21st in run defense since Dareus came there.?

They were dead last early in the season...during that time a freak play happened where Bilal Powell wasn't touched down and got up and ran for 80 yards. 

Id bet good money those 80 yards would have been the difference from 32-21 that early in the season.

Stats can be misleading, there is some context.

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

While true, a lot of fans also claimed the same thing in regards to opposing QB's when we faced the Jets, Bengals and Panthers (with a hobbled Newton).

In fact I think this game is going to be very similar to Carolina in terms of our offense being able to do very little against the Jags defense. This means we have to hope that Bortles plays like Newton did in week 2 against us and turns the ball over to win.

Either way Jags went 6-2 at home this year just like the Bills and their only losses were against the Titans and Rams early in the season (both also playoff teams). They pretty much dominated all their other opponents at home including the Seahawks and Russell Wilson.

The Bills were close to beating the Panthers and Bengals and beat the Jests in game one.

They crapped the bed in game 2 though.

4 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

If the Jags have a running game even remotely close to which the Saints had on us, we are doomed. If we can stop the run or hold the run to below 120 yards and not give up big plays I think we have a shot. But Tyrod is gonna need to make some plays with the ball.

That's two huge things that really haven't worked for us this year: 1) Tyrod slinging it efficiently and scoring TDs 2) The Defense stopping the run

...if Hackett is smart, Fournette sees the rock 30+ times.....

Buffalo is the type of team that can make a run. That Jags team is a collection of talent, this Bills team plays as one. We're all heart , the magnitude of the stage decides alot of these games. That Jag team is extremely inexperienced and young.

34 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

They were dead last early in the season...during that time a freak play happened where Bilal Powell wasn't touched down and got up and ran for 80 yards. 

Id bet good money those 80 yards would have been the difference from 32-21 that early in the season.

Stats can be misleading, there is some context.

They played 7 games before they traded for him and gave up 138.6 yards per game. If we want to pretend that Bilal Powell carry would go for no yards, that would make the average in the first 7 games 127.2 yards per game. 138.6 would have been the worst in the league by over 4.5 yards if they maintained that pace over 16 games. 127.2 would have been 30th. Just above the Bengals (127.9) and just below the Bills (124.6)

They gave up 98.9 yards per game in the 9 games Dareus was on the roster, which would have been 8th in the league over 16 games. Something something sample size.