FiveThirtyEight: This Bills Team Worse Than Most Bills Teams this Century

This year’s Bills team finished 9-7, but based on Football Outsiders’ estimated wins and Pythagorean wins metrics,1 it only earned 6.8 and 6.3 wins, respectively. Put another way, an NFL team that gets outscored by 57 points on the year (as the Bills did) mathematically ought to win about six or seven games.

But it’s not just about wins. Pick a metric of team strength, and the Bills are typically at or below the median: 21st in scoring differential, 15th in FiveThirtyEight’s Elo ratings, 23rd in Simple Rating System,2 21st in Defense-adjusted Value Over Average.3

These Bills don’t stack up well against the 17 iterations that came before them, either:

Keep doubting them.

everybody is saying they are a bad team. Overrated . That they don't deserve to be in the playoffs 

watch them come out like a bat outta hell and hit Jacksonville right in the mouth 

Buster Douglas beat the **** outta Tyson 

the bills win this week I'm confident 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Don't care.

This makes up for having better teams in the past that couldn't get over the hump.  

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I bet they also predicted the odds of the Bills making the playoffs using their super advanced formulas.

This isn't any prediction at all. It's an after the season statistical comparison of every Bills' team since 2000.  In the end, who cares because we're in!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Umm, no. How was the coaching for the Jets game, AFTER 10 DAYS TO GET READY? And then the next two after that!?

umm yes, how many 12 men on the field penalties did we have on 3rd down this year???  less than 100???  = better than last couple of yrs

These stats mean nothing. Sure we had a horrible middle season. But those numbers are messed up along the 2 Pat games. Other games we were in it. The Panthers game, Falcons game and stuff matter. Those teams along with Chiefs made playoffs. We are not that horrible. Just the horrible stretch middle.

Thanks, Marvin, Andy and Boyd

10 minutes ago, John in Jax said:

Umm, no. How was the coaching for the Jets game, AFTER 10 DAYS TO GET READY? And then the next two after that!?

how about the coaching pulling out of that slide to keep competitive and grab the last playoff spot?  

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This isn't any prediction at all. It's an after the season statistical comparison of every Bills' team since 2000.  In the end, who cares because we're in!

You are right, not really a prediction, but I was more comparing it to formulas of that type that rate teams based on their perceived skill level based on previous statistics which I often find to be inaccurate when it comes down to actually playing the game which ultimately change the statistics you use to formulate your original opinion of skill level.

We didn't 'earn' our wins we had because we overall got outscored for the season?  That has to be the silliest thing I've ever seen

28 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Keep doubting them.

everybody is saying they are a bad team. Overrated . That they don't deserve to be in the playoffs 

watch them come out like a bat outta hell and hit Jacksonville right in the mouth 

Buster Douglas beat the **** outta Tyson 

the bills win this week I'm confident 

you know it's mainly Bills fans on this site that are saying negative things about the team. I don't hear any of that from the national media.  All my friends from around the country are thrilled for us and are pulling for the Bills to win. I have great friends.