Enough's enough - This team went 9-7......

No one is arguing that this isn't a severely flawed roster and a lot of work to be done.

That said: They just ended a 18 years playoff drought that hung on everyone fans head like a noose, something that only haters would use to reaffirm our irrelevance during this period, something media nationally loved to bring up as a passing insult, something like people like me who have one memory of watching a Bills playoff game with my dad had to wonder if it really would and countless others did the same with family, and something that had caused years of frustration and mistakes by the team itself. This roster had less talent compared to any team the last 5 years and yes the coaching staff deserves credit for that.

No one is saying McD and Beane are the all time greatest, they do deserve credit for a good year one given everything that happened. Don't let people being excited who may be in euphoria for the reasons I stated hit nerves because you have a healthy grounded POV on the team and coach. This is great and let it be, if others may be building a statue that is OK to that is what they needed.

GO BIlls!

• Like (+1) 2

And I am a fan.......  

But I also look at this team without rose-coloured glasses......

I've said it if not a FAN, this team is hard to watch.  They are hanging on for dear life almost every win and come the second half they lose almost everytime on halftime adjustments.  

They should have kicked Miami's butts twice, thoroughly outplayed KC too, yet hung on for dear life.  Jauron ball kills me and the inability to throw for 300 (though they seem up for the challenge the first half at times).

So you think this team is better the the prior 3 years?  I will say they are more disciplined and for a change getting some breaks.

Y^es I'm excited, but TBD and the pom pom waving does make me smirk.

• Sad 2

You point out that the record is essentially the same as it has been the last few years, which is correct. You also point out that the team unloaded a lot of the talent (and salary), which is correct. But you seem to fail to address the fact that achieving the same record with less talent is impressive.

I'm not convinced that McD and Beane will succeed in turning us into a true contender, but I am encouraged by this year's results. The luck of getting into the playoffs is just an added bonus, that will only further help the transition (hopefully) into a contender as it ends the negativity of the last two decades and allows everybody to focus on the future.

Edited by Buddy Hix
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And I am a fan.......  

I've said it if not a FAN, this team is hard to watch.  They are hanging on for dear life almost every win and come the second half they lose almost everytime on halftime adjustments.  

They should have kicked Miami's butts twice, thoroughly outplayed KC too, yet hung on for dear life.  Jauron ball kills me and the inability to throw for 300 (though they seem up for the challenge the first half at times).

So you think this team is better the the prior 3 years?  I will say they are more disciplined and for a change getting some breaks.

You're more of a Sammy Watkins fan than a Bills fan.

Your posts prove it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dorkington said:

I agree that this team isn't any better than the last 9-7 Bills team, but playoffs are playoffs and it's awesome to have the 'streak' ended. 

And I agree 100%.......  I've been glued to the TV (or at the games) since 1972.  Doubt I've missed more then a dozen (travel, trips) over that time, so yes I am a diehard.

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And I am a fan.......  

I bet if you win the lottery you will immediately complain about the money you lose in taxes...ARRRGH i won 340 million dollars and I lost 100 million in taxes, that isn't FUN

Edited by Like A Mofo

I am as critical as anyone on these boards.  With that being said, a first year head coach took a team that I thought would have no more than 3 wins to the playoffs breaking a 17 year streak.  In so doing, he made bold front office moves that will pay dividends for years.  Getting rid of Darius with that huge contract number was a great move.  Moving Sammy (500 or so receiving yards this year even though he was health and had a real qb) was a great move.  EJ Gains is proving to be a step above Darby.  Gathering draft picks.  His game day decisions could be questioned but at the end of the day, in one year he has been better than any other coach over the last two decades.  Yes I have been critical, but no I am not dumb.  This guy is good, and the future looks bright.   Just think- the rookies (who are preforming well) will now feel the playoffs are a must, not merely a goal.  The vets know it is now possible.  He has changed the culture.  He is a great coach, anybody who says otherwise is not being objective. 

3 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

You point out that the record is essentially the same as it has been the last few years, which is correct. You also point out that the team unloaded a lot of the talent (and salary), which is correct. But you seem to fail to address the fact that achieving the same record with less talent is impressive.

I'm not convinced that McD and Beane will succeed in turning us into a true contender, but I am encouraged by this year's results. The luck of getting into the playoffs is just an added bonus, that will only further help the transition (hopefully) into a contender as it ends the negativity of the last two decades and allows everybody to focus on the future.

That's exactly what impresses me.  We got rid of some of our biggest stars (Sammy, Darby, MD), signed some no-names, and got into the playoffs.

I'm not sure what kind of roster Beane will build over the years.  But today's roster is weak.  Yet we're in the playoffs.  McD must be doing something right.

• Like (+1) 1

There is 2 really encouraging things with the current team. 

1) they traded away alot of good talent and completely over achieved. I believe alot of this has to do with coaching 

2) after all the hot starts we've seen over the years (2008/2011/2016) this team was able to battle through all of it and finish 9-7. They never threw in the towel regardless of who was playing qb, or reciever etc. 

Are the bills really good? No. But now we go into 2018 with alot of draft picks and ready to build a team that can potentially play for the superbowl year after year. We finally have a front office that learns from mistakes, and is creating a team for the long term. You could've said this back in the Gailey/nix era, but bills fans should be able to see the difference between the front offices. 

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

There is 2 really encouraging things with the current team. 

1) they traded away alot of good talent and completely over achieved. I believe alot of this has to do with coaching 

2) after all the hot starts we've seen over the years (2008/2011/2016) this team was able to battle through all of it and finish 9-7. They never threw in the towel regardless of who was playing qb, or reciever etc. 

Are the bills really good? No. But now we go into 2018 with alot of draft picks and ready to build a team that can potentially play for the superbowl year after year. We finally have a front office that learns from mistakes, and is creating a team for the long term. You could've said this back in the Gailey/nix era, but bills fans should be able to see the difference between the front offices. 

We are a team in the playoffs with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds coming up.  That's exciting.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

jesus.  the op needs meds.  i haven't seen someone so upset that the team they supposedly love made the playoffs.  all of this over the loss of sammy.  the same sammy who hasn't done much of anything this year...again.  the same sammy the op called elite.  the same sammy that the op was insistent that the rams coach was telling his qb not to throw too.  i just don't get it.  

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We are a team in the playoffs with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds coming up.  That's exciting.

we should all be thrilled with where this team is right now.  

Dude - they squeaked into the playoffs (getting the monkey off their backs)  AND they stockpiled picks - how is this not incredible progress for the franchise??

Team McBeane knows they aren't all there yet. McD practically said as much.

BUT cracking the playoff wall is just plain good for the psyche of the franchise and the fans - although apparently some fans are just too scarred to realize it... :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I wonder if any Giants fan thought this when they won the Super Bowl after posting a 8-8 record?

Hehe - it's true - we have no idea if Tyrod has secretly been an Eli-style playoff-clutch QB all this time!!  (... and no, I don't expect that :rolleyes:)

Edited by BobChalmers
added thought