Baker Mayfield Man Crush thread

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

I cannot get over how great these college qbs look esp in the bowl games and then they turn into Jamarcus Russel in the NFL . How can scouts for NFL teams possibly know if they can make the jump to the NFL.? Seems like guessing to me.

This is a pretty excellent post.  

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Great game, Go Dawgs!

I'm officially not sold on Mayfield. And I was really hoping he'd have a great playoff run and lead OK to a Championship. If for no other reason than to put another QB into the mix at the top of the draft.

I guess I can't say he's any less of a prospect than Mahomes, and he went #10. I still think Deshaun Watson will always be better than both of them.

Bottom line, I dont see Mayfield as a long term solution as a team leader and franchise QB in the NFL.

Enh .. he had a good game. He led OU to 38 points in regulation against an elite college defense that is LOADED with NFL talent. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Enh .. he had a good game. He led OU to 38 points in regulation against an elite college defense that is LOADED with NFL talent. 

He had a decent game, and I certainly hope his stock continues to rise. But I'm erring on the safe side of this risk and saying "no thanks". I use the Watson comparison because I was cold on Watson most of last year, until I saw him beat two great teams with NFL loaded defenses in the playoffs. At that point, I'd take that risk as the kid has proven he can win big.

Just my non-scientific wild-ass QB guessing. Could very well be wrong, but if youre asking me, no thanks to Mayfield. I'd rather have Rudolph.

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I went into this game thinking that Alabama would blow Clemson out. That is what is currently happening, but we shall see. The Clemson qb is terrible (against real competition).

I think Clemsons speed will end up wearing Bama out 

5 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

Im not even a Mayfield guy, but if he falls into our lap without having to trade up how can you not take a shot?

It really depends on who is left....if Rosen, Darnold, Allen, are all gone for one reason or another but Rudolph is still there, to me you take Rudolph over Mayfield. But if Rudolph is gone then maybe, but I still think I’d rather take Luke Falk and stay at 20 something and keep the picks, or another QB in 2nd. There are always good and talented QBs to be taken in every Draft throughout the Draft, it’s up to FO to unearth them and know value. Then it’s up to coaches to coach them into great players.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

It really depends on who is left....if Rosen, Darnold, Allen, are all gone for one reason or another but Rudolph is still there, to me you take Rudolph over Mayfield. But if Rudolph is gone then maybe, but I still think I’d rather take Luke Falk and stay at 20 something and keep the picks, or another QB in 2nd. There are always good and talented QBs to be taken in every Draft throughout the Draft, it’s up to FO to unearth them and know value. Then it’s up to coaches to coach them into great players.

Trust me, as a Bills fan that lives within 2 hrs of Pullman Washington and all I see are Wazzu games on the TV every saturday, we don't want Luke Falk. NOT an NFL talent. 

I watch and follow college WAY more than NFL. If I am the drafting a QB for us, I would want Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph and Darnold in that order. Darnold has issues taking care of the ball. Allen is the X factor due to his level of play in NCAA. Hard to tell how his game will translate to the NFL.

Edited by promtbr88
correction
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Bama has everything....they can get any 5 star recruit they want.

Everything but a QB.

It's amazing how that program can't land a big time quarterback.  Guess it would be completely unfair if they did.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Great game, Go Dawgs!

I'm officially not sold on Mayfield. And I was really hoping he'd have a great playoff run and lead OK to a Championship. If for no other reason than to put another QB into the mix at the top of the draft.

I guess I can't say he's any less of a prospect than Mahomes, and he went #10. I still think Deshaun Watson will always be better than both of them.

Bottom line, I dont see Mayfield as a long term solution as a team leader and franchise QB in the NFL.

Yea I just didn’t see Mayfield enough NFL caliber throws where he had to lead his receiver or make throws in tight windows. If he in McVay type offense where skill players are schemed in great position to make plays, he could be solid. In Dennison’s offense, I think he would struggle mightily especially if O-Line isn’t strengthen.

3 minutes ago, promtbr88 said:

Trust me, as a Bills fan that lives within 2 hrs of Pullman Washington and all I see are Wazzu games on the TV every saturday, we don't want Luke Falk. NOT an NFL talent. 

I watch and follow college WAY more than NFL. If I am the drafting a QB for us, I would want Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Rudolph and Darnold in that order. Darnold has issues taking care of the ball. Allen is the X factor due to his level of play in NCAA. Hard to tell how his game will translate to the NFL.

And I think I get your overall point, but Falk is making hay with little this year, has a 70% completion rate - for the 2nd year I believe - and you can’t teach accuracy. 

2 minutes ago, bouds said:

Everything but a QB.

It's amazing how that program can't land a big time quarterback.  Guess it would be completely unfair if they did.

Alabama’s O schemes just aren’t attractive to 5 star QB prospects.

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Alabama’s O schemes just aren’t attractive to 5 star QB prospects.

Yeah, definitely.  They've landed some big time WRs, but QBs know it's a run first system, pound the rock and occasionally go deep off of playaction.  Don't blame QBs for going elsewhere, but you'd think at some point they'd land a big one, I'm sure they'd open it up a bit if they got a good QB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.