Baker Mayfield Man Crush thread

Big Turk

28 minutes ago, bouds said:

Everything but a QB.

It's amazing how that program can't land a big time quarterback.  Guess it would be completely unfair if they did.

Cause they would still be running the ball and only throwing when needed

I wouldn't hate if they took him in the 3rd but I don't see any reason to go higher than that. All that emotion is great when your teammates are (kind of) unpaid kids but I prefer a calmer presence at QB in the NFL.

And a 5-10 QB would need exceptional mobility to succeed in the NFL. Mayfield doesn't have that.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I think Clemsons speed will end up wearing Bama out 

I guess not

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Morning talk with Mike and Wingo - they were saying he's not good throwing into tight coverage's. 

Seemed a bit to Taylorish sounding to me.    Now DC 980 AM radio was asking Cousins or Mayfield.  

Totally agree, he reminds me a lot of Taylor, but a bit less athletic .... and I really question his demeanor and professionalism--not the kind of player McDermott would want leading his team.

Well, two good things for the Bills came out of last night:

1) Some missed plays in the second half might have people doubt Mayfield more than if he kept rolling like the first half.

2) He doesn't get to play in the championship game and do something else to increase his draft stock.

Now, did he get any better or worse in this game?  No.  He is the same player he was last week, and still someone I would love to have and really hope we draft.  Leadership, Decision Making, Accuracy are all clearly there, and I actually like him more than Watson who I really wished we had taken at #10 at the time.  So if the Bills leadership agrees on how good the player was three days ago, the fact that he didn't write any legend stuff yesterday to increase his stock is fine with me.  I can see him available at our first pick happens without trading up, but I would also be fine trading up if necessary.

30 minutes ago, Koufax said:

Well, two good things for the Bills came out of last night:

1) Some missed plays in the second half might have people doubt Mayfield more than if he kept rolling like the first half.

2) He doesn't get to play in the championship game and do something else to increase his draft stock.

Now, did he get any better or worse in this game?  No.  He is the same player he was last week, and still someone I would love to have and really hope we draft.  Leadership, Decision Making, Accuracy are all clearly there, and I actually like him more than Watson who I really wished we had taken at #10 at the time.  So if the Bills leadership agrees on how good the player was three days ago, the fact that he didn't write any legend stuff yesterday to increase his stock is fine with me.  I can see him available at our first pick happens without trading up, but I would also be fine trading up if necessary.

He's' the same guy for sure, but I think scouts take it's not a matter of better or worse as a matter of is this guy a specific systems guy that can/cannot make a transition.  And I think the 2nd half of that game was a clear indication of scouts concerns.  He shined in the first half when UGA was using a lot of zone coverage to try to figure them out.  The windows were there for him to make the throws.  But once UGA made the adjustments at half and started running tight man coverage and he had to throw the football with defenders drapped on WR's he held on to the football too long and it caused him to hit the dirt several times.  He made 1 great throw and 1 good throw when UGA deployed tight man to man.  The great one his WR went up and got it.  The good one was for the TD to the FB to tie the game.  Most of his other passes were not on the money or he held on to it too long.

There are several things to like about Baker Mayfield, but there are some serious questions scouts are going to have to guess and take a chance on like any other QB.  I don't see him as a Bills pick to be honest.  When the other team has a guy telling you to humble yourself after the game and with the score at 14-7 him running down the sideline after UGA missed the FG giving the throat slash saying "it's over" and prior to the game he's over on the other teams side where the WR's are running their routes doing who knows what????  These are just things that he's going to get pushed hard in interviews on.  His issue isn't talent, it's plain old sportsmanship.  Just be a good sport and move on.  All of the antics are for what???  That's why I don't see him as a McBeane/McDermott pick.

In saying all of that he still won me on a few things.  He's just a very polarizing figure at the most pivotal position.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.