Baker Mayfield Man Crush thread

Big Turk

29 minutes ago, McBean said:

How GM’s and scouts have Josh Allen ahead of this kid is beyond me. Straight up laughable.

If he’s there with our first pick, which he won’t be, you have to take a swing at him.

Agree with all this but particularly the bolded.  I'm increasingly of the belief the NFL is full of people who are stuck in a Quarterback time warp. 

• Like (+1) 1

I am a huge fan the more I see. Much more Wilson or Brees than he is Manziel.

I like him more than Darnold definitely and I think he will be better than Rosen (who will be good). Hoping like Brees and Wilson he falls out of the top of the draft, but I would happily go up for him. Maybe not the ransom to get to the top three but he is the player we want.

Hoping his perceived flaws let him fall despite his big spotlight success like Watson last year.

The top three attributes for a quarterback are decision making, accuracy, and leadership. You can do just fine without a Ryan Leaf arm or Jamarcus Russell hands or Brock Osweiler height

Let's do it..

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Matt Schaub was the archetypical Dennison QB. You need to be supremely accurate on the intermediate routes, have very good footwork and timing and not be a statue (you don't need to be a "mobile Quarterback" type  but you need to be able to execute the bootlegs etc).  Trevor Siemian is basically a very poor man's Matt Schaub which is why he looked half decent in Denver with Dennison and Kubiak last year.  I think being mentally attuned situationally is more important than a big arm or physical ability in the Dennison offense.  I know you can say that about Quarterbacking in general but I think this offense exaggerates that even more.  I don't know if it is why the Bills took an obvious look last draft season but it could suit a Mitch Trubisky type prospect. 

Mayfield, while he can play Quarterback from the pocket, improvises and freelances more than the scheme is set up to provide for.  I actually don't think any of the guys coming out who could go in the first or 2nd round this year are ideal fits.  Who knows what happens with Dennison now? 

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure I would like Dennison's offense even with a better QB. A lot of QB decisions coming during free agency and the draft. Go Bills!

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Matt Schaub was the archetypical Dennison QB. You need to be supremely accurate on the intermediate routes, have very good footwork and timing and not be a statue (you don't need to be a "mobile Quarterback" type  but you need to be able to execute the bootlegs etc).  Trevor Siemian is basically a very poor man's Matt Schaub which is why he looked half decent in Denver with Dennison and Kubiak last year.  I think being mentally attuned situationally is more important than a big arm or physical ability in the Dennison offense.  I know you can say that about Quarterbacking in general but I think this offense exaggerates that even more.  I don't know if it is why the Bills took an obvious look last draft season but it could suit a Mitch Trubisky type prospect. 

Mayfield, while he can play Quarterback from the pocket, improvises and freelances more than the scheme is set up to provide for.  I actually don't think any of the guys coming out who could go in the first or 2nd round this year are ideal fits.  Who knows what happens with Dennison now? 

Then with all that said we have no need for Denison. We're not going to keep him around for the next few years until we find a quarterback that just suits him...

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I have to admit I have an absolute man crush on Baker Mayfield...his fire and swagger remind so much of Kelly...I think he would be outstanding for us as a QB...

And his first drive in the Rose Bowl isnt doing anytjing to change my mind either...

Join the club, I've been like this for a couple of months.

it is so wrong to think this way, but I almost hop he gets in trouble just so he would drop.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

4 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

Russell Wilson looked phenominal in college and dropped to the 3rd round.......he could get close to one of our 1st round picks...it would happen

So so badly I wanted Wilson in the third, John.  I thought jump up, get him and let him sit behind Fitzy for a year (no hindsight then!).

they jumped up and took Graham...we were Billsy then.  You know, pre playoffs.

2 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

@JFH, do you really think we’d pull the trigger if Mayfield is there at #25?

3rd round, of course.

If Mayfield is there when we pick and we pass on him it will be another disappointing day in our eternal search for a franchise QB imo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.