Rodak: Bills Remain Confident in Zay Jones

26CornerBlitz

Rodak: Bills remain confident in Zay Jones despite rookie's 'humbling' season

It's been a tough year for the receiver, with more downs than ups, but Jones might get a chance to finish the regular season off right Sunday in Miami.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Buffalo Bills wide receiver Zay Jones is tied with Los Angeles Rams receiver Cooper Kupp in having played 712 snaps this season, seventh-most among rookies who play on offense.

But the disparity in production between the two has been striking. Kupp, a third-round pick, has 62 catches for 869 yards and five touchdowns. Jones, a second-round pick, has 25 catches for 291 yards and two touchdowns.

It has been an underwhelming season for the Bills' 32nd-ranked passing offense, and Jones' disappointing performance has been just one part of the losing equation for offensive coordinator Rick Dennison.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

A good share of the difference in production between Kupp and Jones would seem to be the struggle that Tyrod had in finding any of his WRs compared with Jared Goff's blossoming into a prolific QB in his second year.

• Like (+1) 6

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ay my god.

Enough of this. Zay dropping balls and struggling to get speration is independent of Tyrod. 

Correct if Zay had nobody around him for 5 or 6 yards and could catch balls thrown off target all would be good.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's Tyrod's fault he doesn't get more balls thrown to him and accurately. Zay's fault when his only job is to catch footballs and he drops them especially the ones thrown that are very catchable. I'm not counting the ones that are behind him or really low or way over his head. Zay showed he can make those catches and even some spectacular ones. Maybe he is one of those WR's you need to get involved early in the game to get them focused and then they are more engaged.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Correct if Zay had nobody around him for 5 or 6 yards and could catch balls thrown off target all would be good.

Thats a good one.  

Im not excusing Zay of anything. 

1 season does not define 90% on NFL players. 

3 starting seasons of a 7 year career does.  

• Like (+1) 3

I think this was the same thing they said about Shaq this time last year when they cut his snaps.

Zay was the WR that Tyrod had the most experience with for the first half of the season and had really synched up with him but Zay just kept dropping passes.

Tyrod put two perfectly lead nine-route bombs on his hands in recent weeks that would have been walk-in TD's for guys like Watkins or Goodwin and not only were they not TD's........they were flat out DROPPED.

He had a DB close behind.......but that's half of the problem.........he doesn't separate......you can only throw it where he is and hope he catches it.

Awful year for Jones and they would be foolish to pencil him into the top 3 next year...........Josh Reed never got his hands back there is no guarantee that Jones will.  

52 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

A good share of the difference in production between Kupp and Jones would seem to be the struggle that Tyrod had in finding any of his WRs compared with Jared Goff's blossoming into a prolific QB in his second year.

that and the Rams have the leagues best decoy which really helped Kupp.  Jones didn't have a decoy on the field for Taylor

that was yuge.  bigly, even.

51 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Ay my god.

Enough of this. Zay dropping balls and struggling to get speration is independent of Tyrod. 

i';ll repeat it just so we all see it.

jones doesn't have the benefit of a decoy on the team!

48 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Thats a good one.  

Im not excusing Zay of anything. 

1 season does not define 90% on NFL players. 

3 starting seasons of a 7 year career does.  

And BOOM goes the dynamite.  

This.  And then this again.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Zay usually has 5 or 6 yards with no one around him?

Thats news to me. 

I barely see him on the field because he’s blanketed by the corners

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Ay my god.

Zay has definitely dropped too many passes, a number of which should have been catches for sure. 

But Tyrod really hasn't done him too many favors either. He's thrown quite a few balls Zay's way that really were not catchable passes, despite what some Tyrod apologists around here might say. 

As far as separation, i've seen Zay struggle at times. But I've also seen him get separation only to see Tyrod look his way and not pull the trigger, not look his way at all or just plain overthrow him. So it works both ways...

Overall, Zay's first year has been a disappointment. He deserves much of the blame, but there is also blame to go around and Tyrod deserves his share. 

• Like (+1) 1