Top two NFL QBs in salary, did not make the playoffs

Foreigner

50 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I agree completely. There needs to be a balance. 

Look at the Dolphins. If I’m not mistaken, their two highest contracts are Suh and Tannehill. Even if both were healthy all season, they would have likely missed the playoffs as well. 

Don't tell SaviorPeterman that, they have a colossal amount of talent, and the next Bill Belichick at HC. 

5 hours ago, Rigotz said:

This is a dumb argument.

Packers went from one of the best teams in the league to one of the worst when Rogers got hurt.

Colts went from best team in the league to first overall pick when Peyton Manning got hurt.

A great QB can win you Super Bowls and playoffs for DECADES. Are there exceptions? Sure. Carr had a bad year and Stanford has never been Elite.

Do I want to swing for the fences and hope to lock in the single most important position on the field for decades? Of course I do.

If you’re not thinking that way, you are dumb. Period.

You will find a direct correlation with the Tyrod faithful & those who think that way. I've already counted a few obvious ones so far. 

They are now going to pretend franchise QB's aren't the most important thing in the sport, and that mediocrity at the position is fine because "look at some of these far superior players who also didn't make the playoffs every year!" 

Edited by BigDingus

I look at it this way.  If Cousins was our quarterback this year would we have clinched a playoff seed by now?  I would answer yes and that alone is enough for me to say sign Cousins.  Then do your work by drafting well and finding low price free agent fits that fit your system.

12 hours ago, Rigotz said:

This is a dumb argument.

Packers went from one of the best teams in the league to one of the worst when Rogers got hurt.

Colts went from best team in the league to first overall pick when Peyton Manning got hurt.

A great QB can win you Super Bowls and playoffs for DECADES. Are there exceptions? Sure. Carr had a bad year and Stanford has never been Elite.

Do I want to swing for the fences and hope to lock in the single most important position on the field for decades? Of course I do.

^^^^This...

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

You will find a direct correlation with the Tyrod faithful & those who think that way. I've already counted a few obvious ones so far. 

They are now going to pretend franchise QB's aren't the most important thing in the sport, and that mediocrity at the position is fine because "look at some of these far superior players who also didn't make the playoffs every year!" 

Yup. The OP is just offering the same fallacious reasoning we’ve seen before: Look!  There are teams with highly paid/franchise QBs that aren’t in the playoff!  Ergo it isn’t important to have one.  Obviously that’s stupid.  What they miss is the massive importance of having a FQB where winning a SB is the goal.

6 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Exactly, these same want nothing more then to have this team continue to swing for late round QBs while riding the not good enough Tyrod to a forever 8-8 not good enough. Sure get Tyrod a RB  like McCoy WR like Watkins and boom playoffs, SMH. Tyrod faithful want you to believe  this team needs way too much so build the rest first then find a QB, sounds like the last 17 years of fail.

You would think OBD would know it all starts with the QB, once we got HOF QB Kelly things got better and better as the pieces were added to compliment his play. You build around the QB not build then add a QB.

QBS need some grooming time so you need to get one to start playing and learning while said QB finds who they like to play with. A lower talent linemen, WR many times play bigger because said QB can push them to be bigger then they are. Look what Brady has done with less.

15 hours ago, Rigotz said:

This is a dumb argument.

This^^^

Add to it the Colts were maybe a fringe playoff team with Luck and absolute trash without him this year

Lookie what an uptick San Francisco has had with the addition of Jimmy G.

QB is the straw that stirs the drink, good QB makes everything better. 

3 hours ago, PeterGriffin said:

Add to it the Colts were maybe a fringe playoff team with Luck and absolute trash without him this year

Playing in the AFC championship game is a "fringe playoff team"?  Sounds more like the 3rd or 4th best team in the league to me.

3 hours ago, Woodman19 said:

Despite what people think, you still need to build a team behind a QB to be successful, you don't simply shuffle your fingers until you get an Aaron Rodgers then just put your feet up and watch the Superbowls come rolling in every year.

Amen. This opinion is silly, but prevelant around here imagine IMHO.

Is the OP saying they would not want Derek Carr or Matthew Stafford on the Bills. Although this is a qb driven league both of these guys cannot win the game on their own it still requires some semblance of defense and special teams. Derek Carr was hurt allot this year. Stafford hasn't had the greatest year. I personally wouldn't want the Bills to pay these guys that much but both teams will rebound with some better supporting personnel.

20 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Not sure of the salary, but Phillip Rivers and Joe Flacco hopefully will be joining them Sunday.  Add Marcus Mariota (maybe) and Jameis "Crab Legs" Winston to the franchise QBs sitting out the playoffs. Russell Wilson may be too.  Add Suck for Luck and Watson and Rodgers due to injury.  Trbisky.

Meanwhile Alex Smith and Case Keenum are in.

I thought if you had a franchise QB you were set?  I'm confused.

Depends what your definition of a franchise QB is.

Does your QB realistically give you a chance to win and make the playoffs? Can he actually make throws and take a chance when it’s needed most? Has said QBs made the playoffs in prior years?

What one team values as a franchise QB another one doesn’t. Do I think Stanford is a QB worth his money? No,but Detroit does.

There are really only a handful of true future HOF QBs in the league and those guys are in the playoffs every year and win SBs.

Whats your point? You can win without breaking the bank? Sure can,but a QB who can play gives you a much better opportunity to get to the promised land,which is the whole purpose of playing.

We don’t have a QB who gives us a chance and it’s time we take a chance to find one,regardless of money.

I defer to Beane.