Is the NFL fixed or is it influenced in any way shape or form besides strictly who the better team is

8 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I don't believe the NFL is completely "fixed" - at least not to the extend that the WWE and professional wrestling is totally scripted for a particular outcome. 

But that doesn't mean I believe the league is completely fair and free of outside influence.  If there is a dollar to be made by swaying a play or even a game, it's highly likely that someone is trying (if not succeeding) at doing just that.

The MLB turned its back on steroid abuse for over a decade, because players chasing home run records was big business.  In the NBA, a referee was caught by the FBI betting on playoff games.  Since being convicted, he has alleged that ALL of his colleagues do the same.  This summer, he claimed the league was trying to let the Cavaliers win to extend the Finals.  When the Patriots were caught cheating the first time (Spygate), the NFL responded by immediately destroying the evidence, giving the team a slap on the wrist and doing everything in their power to downplay the incident.

Even if there isn't an NFL mandate that states - "Must help New England win the Super Bowl" - you better believe the refs are pushed to protect the league's marquee QBs like Tom Brady.  Maybe there isn't a giant conspiracy to assist the Steelers or Packers - but you would be foolish to think these officials are not gambling or playing fantasy football.  And with the money involved, organized crime is certainly entrenched behind the scenes.

I like how you bring up WWE. I’m looking forward to the XFL coming back. I didn’t like it the last time around because I thought that was fixed.

However, based on the way the NFL has been, you gotta think there are some weird things going on behind the scenes. 

This is is the perfect opportunity for the XFL to come back. I’d give it a shot. It can’t be anymore corrupt than the current NFL joke. 

3 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

There was also at 8 that came out that the Jets complained about wear during punt returns the Patriots players on the sideline with stand on the very edge of the sideline so that the Gunner would have no chance at getting to the punt returner

Of course it's already been proven they already have been caught cheating point-blank twice three times if you catch Lee Gunner issue that they were warned about

If they were willing to blatantly cheat like that what makes you think they don't have some type of hook up with the officiating especially at home

You know and I know that call reversal from New York was incredibly bizarre and a huge red flag that something else is going on literally the whole entire media is talking about it

They have cheated in your in your face multiple times in the past what makes you think they'll stop now

And I got more news for you I guarantee you in 5 to 10 years it's going to come out that Tom Brady was on HGH mark my words

Well he'll still be playing then at age 45-50...so I would believe that.

You are confusing the patriots episodes of cheating (spygate, deflategate--which, it turns out were not allowed behaviors) with what you are describing as a league-wide conspiracy involving some elements of ownership and referees allowing  and unfair advantage to one team (for reasons you can't articulate).

Just tell us how it's being done.  How the other owners are not aware (but you are) and why they picked Kraft.  Focus!

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well he'll still be playing then at age 45-50...so I would believe that.

You are confusing the patriots episodes of cheating (spygate, deflategate--which, it turns out were not allowed behaviors) with what you are describing as a league-wide conspiracy involving some elements of ownership and referees allowing  and unfair advantage to one team (for reasons you can't articulate).

Just tell us how it's being done.  How the other owners are not aware (but you are) and why they picked Kraft.  Focus!

Deflategate wasn't exposed until the Colts exposed it Spygate wasn't exposed until the Jets exposed it the Gunner issue was exposed by the Jets

I already answered your question clearly and concisely you keep ignoring it the owners are well aware of the cheating

And Goodell destroy the evidence and Tom Brady destroy the evidence with a cell phone

What is the more rational and profitable response among the owners punished and Destroy evidence or actually come out to the media and say yep we have a rogue owner and Rogue organization that constantly cheats and we also have constant cheating among other organizations with X Y and Z issues that would ruin the NFL

The funniest thing is all of the overturned calls worked out for the Patriots in 3 games (Bills, Steelers & Jets) which took away touchdowns. Something or someone is fishy and it's not the Dolphins.

Edited by BBills88
Misspelled a word

Anyone that's played football or throwing a baseball or lifted weights knows the tremendous stress it puts on your shoulder to assume Tom Brady is not on HGH HGH is to literally put your head in the sand and I guarantee you when it comes out 5 to 10 years from now they will punish the Patriots but they will not come out and admit that there's actually cheating going on they won't make it some media issue it admit to the fans that a lot of the stuff is influenced in a major way outside of who is truly the best

First of all, there is legal gambling in Vegas, and we are dealing with human nature and money, so

while  all or some of NFL, NBA, NHL & MLB games may not be pre arranged as to the winner before-

hand (or may be)I believe there is enough gambling with people having a edge, as it is more than

possible certain people can have inside information before games.

It is like people who have inside info on certain companies in the stock market.

Years ago there was a big time fixing scandal in college basketball among NY teams.

I don't think there has been any scandal since then in any sport, but is that because they have not

been caught? 

3 hours ago, KingRex said:

A few years ago I had the same concern and asked your question to a friend who also was addicted to football.  She set my mind at ease by asking one question.

If it's fixed why isn't it more interesting?

I had to agree.  If you were some all powerful entity able to determine the results of years of outcomes wouldn't you produc a more interesting or simply more profitable result than the silliness the No Fun League has produced over the past?

Its not fixed....

Its influenced

5 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

Deflategate wasn't exposed until the Colts exposed it Spygate wasn't exposed until the Jets exposed it the Gunner issue was exposed by the Jets

I already answered your question clearly and concisely you keep ignoring it the owners are well aware of the cheating

And Goodell destroy the evidence and Tom Brady destroy the evidence with a cell phone

What is the more rational and profitable response among the owners punished and Destroy evidence or actually come out to the media and say yep we have a rogue owner and Rogue organization that constantly cheats and we also have constant cheating among other organizations with X Y and Z issues that would ruin the NFL

Yes, the cheating had widespread coverage for whole seasons and drew a couple of owners into public comments............but let's get back to the part where some owners and/or "people who are under the owners" are influencing the refs and others to favor NE over all other teams. 

If the Colts blew the whistle on deflategate and the Jets blew the whistle on spygate, why has not one team blown the whistle on "Ifluencegate"?

Go on....

10 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yes, the cheating had widespread coverage for whole seasons and drew a couple of owners into public comments............but let's get back to the part where some owners and/or "people who are under the owners" are influencing the refs and others to favor NE over all other teams. 

If the Colts blew the whistle on deflategate and the Jets blew the whistle on spygate, why has not one team blown the whistle on "Ifluencegate"?

Go on....

They havent been caught cheating again ...

You do realize that they've already been caught three times right it's not a conspiracy it's not speculation that actually happened and Goodell conspire to destroy the evidence so did Brady what you're talking about has already happened and now with everything we know that has happened in the past we have some random guy from New York overturning calls in favor of the Patriots that's not a red flag to you

I don't think its fixed but I do believe the officials are influenced in the way they call the game by certain teams and certain players.  Star power.  From what I see all sport leagues 'protect' their star players and headline franchises.  Jordan never got called for traveling, Crosby gets away with anything, in baseball the size and location of the strike zone shifts depending on who is pitching, and in the NFL hit Brady a millisecond after the balls gone and its an automatic 15 along or you see Tom glaring at the ref from the ground or in his face if no call is made.  PI, holding, possession calls,  judged by shifting and different standards.  Be honest, with the Benjamin play do you think if it was the Patriots that scored the very same way the replay process would have reversed that call?  Absolutely no way!

I can understand the argument that all's fair and equal and all this fixed and influenced discussion is just sour grapes and maybe a case of a sore loser.  Maybe that's all there is to it.  But the fair argument to me is like a parent who insists they treat all their kids fair and equal but the kids know better.  Mom and dad refuse to believe it and say you are wrong that your sister gets away with everything and you don't.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
REWORD
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JinxedBill1 said:

I think the grey areas of the game can be messed with to influence winners and that's all about the rule book.

I look no further than the tuck rule.  Recent example?  Jesse James for the Steelers and Benjamin for the Bills.  The grey area in these calls that has to do with interpretation of the rule allows the league office to influence outcomes of games.

Fixed?  I don't think it's fixed where each team knows who will win.

It all started at the Tuck rule. Money will always trump  ethical decisions. The NFL could care less about parity or fairness. A multi Billion dollar industry will do everything in its power to choreograph the most entertaining playoffs / Super Bowl possible. This was never about foil hat's or some grassy nole conspiracy. It's all about greed and money. "Are you not entertained"....

27 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

It seems to me you want to ignore what the Patriots did three times beforehand in the past and then simply say no there's nothing strange about what's going on in New York overturning calls that shouldn't be turned over in one teams favored nothing to see here

It seems to me you want to ignore who is fixing the games and why.

If the whole NFL thang was fixed, the results would be far more interesting than the random stupidity which seems to too often occur in the game.

If the theory is that the game is fixed to allow the Pats to win.  Why?

If everyone won once in a rotation, the fixed theory makes some sense.

3 minutes ago, KingRex said:

It seems to me you want to ignore who is fixing the games and why.

If the whole NFL thang was fixed, the results would be far more interesting than the random stupidity which seems to too often occur in the game.

If the theory is that the game is fixed to allow the Pats to win.  Why?

If everyone won once in a rotation, the fixed theory makes some sense.

I never said the game was fixed like wrestling dude you're saying that I'm saying there's favoritism and that's pretty obvious and there's cheating which is also obvious

11 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

I never said the game was fixed like wrestling dude you're saying that I'm saying there's favoritism and that's pretty obvious and there's cheating which is also obvious

Obviously.

2 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

Its like life. Life simply isn't fair.

There certainly is favoritism, but it simply is not so extreme that one can reasonably call it FIXING the game to create a specific outcome for a specific purpose.  Definitely the NFL gets its refs to call games in ways that protect Brady from getting hurt (this "fix" is in to make the NFL $), and yes, NFL refs seem to routinely make calls to benefit the home team.  These combined to disadvantage the Bills Sunday.  However, this "fix" could be overcome by Clay hanging onto the darn TD or some better playcalling by Denison.

If one wants to sell some fix theory (particularly some Trumplike global conspiracy) then a little more evidence (or even simple logic) is required.

The sad fact is that no in the NFL really cares enough about our Bills to conspire against us and though Brady and the Pats do get the benefit of a call from time to time, a good team overcomes this cheating marginal assistance.

What would happen if the Buffalo  purposely tried  to injure Brady in the playoffs???

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

It all started at the Tuck rule. Money will always trump  ethical decisions. The NFL could care less about parity or fairness. A multi Billion dollar industry will do everything in its power to choreograph the most entertaining playoffs / Super Bowl possible. This was never about foil hat's or some grassy nole conspiracy. It's all about greed and money. "Are you not entertained"....

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

This sums it up nicely.

When it comes to the Pats, the NFL and the media has done everything to suggest "nothing to see here" or this is a "non-story", but we are talking about one group of cronies getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar more than 3 times.

It doesn't take a football junkie to watch these plays and see the double standard and obvious bias by refs. Nobody really believes that there is fairness in officiating, though that's what they claim "well, calls go both ways"... but they don't. All the calls with real impact go to the pats, then after the game is essentially won they throw a few nothing calls against them so the box score deceives you into thinking it's fair. Clever. Corrupt.

Its not corruption at all. The nfl is entertainment.

8 minutes ago, Albwan said:

Its not corruption at all. The nfl is entertainment.

Tons of money in the balance. Hundreds of jobs at stake. An organization that is not solely owned, it is 32 businesses governed by a board of directors (owners), where the league is undrrmining several members of it's constituency. 

That's corruption.

If it was a sinhle company, like WWE, sacrificing some of it's assets to satisfy the viewership for rating, then sure your point would be legit. This is the league office and 1 or more of it's constituents in cahoots to undermine (and take millions of dollars from) another member. 

The premise that , why don't the owners of all the teams call the NFL on the carpet if they think that one team is getting benefits that their teams do not get is because all of the owners don't care. Most of the owners are riding the golden cow and as long as their profit line is okay , they are okay. Jerry Jones said a very telling remark when he was battling Goodel and Blank on Elliott's suspensions. It was a remark about penalties that the Cowboys got after he pursued the suspension, They were one of the favored teams and we haven't heard much out of Jones since. As pogo said "every one is crreated equal but, some are more equal than others"

Edited by Wily Dog
spelling

5 hours ago, westerndecline said:

They havent been caught cheating again ...

You do realize that they've already been caught three times right it's not a conspiracy it's not speculation that actually happened and Goodell conspire to destroy the evidence so did Brady what you're talking about has already happened and now with everything we know that has happened in the past we have some random guy from New York overturning calls in favor of the Patriots that's not a red flag to you

Arguing with a jackass is never a good idea man.

10 hours ago, westerndecline said:

NBA referees disagree with you it's documented fact that they were fixing or influencing games

And I don't give a flying f*** when anyone says that 1998 game in Foxboro was complete b******* and I'm still bitter about it on that day they took over the Rivalry for me as the most hated team of the Buffalo Bills not Miami anymore

Tht loss kept us from a home game vs miami and possible serious run...

Sorry, but that argument supports my argument far better than yours.

What happened when those NBA refs did that? It came out. And that's with a limited amount of basketball refs. For the NFL to influence games the way you're implying, all refs would have to be in on it. Know how long that secret, with lke a hundred guys in on it would last? Like a week if they were lucky.

As for any games being affected by bad refereeing? Sure.  Far more though are affected by bad playing than bad refereeing. Mistakes are made by any large group of human beings at a fairly high rate. It's part of being human. 

Errors, yeah. Huge shadowy conspiracies? No. It's nonsense.

7 hours ago, westerndecline said:

It seems to me you want to ignore what the Patriots did three times beforehand in the past and then simply say no there's nothing strange about what's going on in New York overturning calls that shouldn't be turned over in one teams favored nothing to see here

Apples and oranges.

Do teams cheat to try to get a competitive advantage? Yeah. The Pats particularly but it happens a lot. And they get caught a lot but surely not every time. Nobody denies this kind of cheating goes on.

But that isn't even close to the same thing as the NFL itself engaging in a wide-scale conspiracy to favor other teams. It just isn't. The risk/reward ratio for each team cheating for competitive advantage is just about infinitely better than it would be for a wide-ranging game-fixing conspiracy that would destroy the reputation of football for years at a time when the game is in an extremely vulnerable position anyway.

Edited by Thurman#1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sorry, but that argument supports my argument far better than yours.

What happened when those NBA refs did that? It came out. And that's with a limited amount of basketball refs. For the NFL to influence games the way you're implying, all refs would have to be in on it. Know how long that secret, with lke a hundred guys in on it would last? Like a week if they were lucky.

As for any games being affected by bad refereeing? Sure.  Far more though are affected by bad playing than bad refereeing. Mistakes are made by any large group of human beings at a fairly high rate. It's part of being human. 

Errors, yeah. Huge shadowy conspiracies? No. It's nonsense.

Apples and oranges.

Do teams cheat to try to get a competitive advantage? Yeah. The Pats particularly but it happens a lot. And they get caught a lot but surely not every time. Nobody denies this kind of cheating goes on.

But that isn't even close to the same thing as the NFL itself engaging in a wide-scale conspiracy to favor other teams. It just isn't. The risk/reward ratio for each team cheating for competitive advantage is just about infinitely better than it would be for a wide-ranging game-fixing conspiracy that would destroy the reputation of football for years at a time when the game is in an extremely vulnerable position anyway.

Again

Nobody said there's some widespread conspiracy or that its wwf fixed....

So youre wrong there.

It's also not a widespread conspiracy or speculation or fake or Monday Morning Quarterback the Patriots did cheat numerous times in fact the NFL didn't tell us about it Spygate in the beginning until the Patriots did it again , AFTER THEY WERE WARNED TO.STOP...

Then Josh McDaniels from the New England Patriots coaching tree tries to do the same Spygate stuff in Denver and I forget the name but he's affiliated with Josh McDaniels and Matt Walsh gets banned from the NFL forever....

Again not speculation not a widespread conspiracy Caddell destroy the evidence Brady destroy the evidence we NFL actually did a cover-up

So youre wrong there.

As for the NBA getting caught as far as the rest the guy who got caught said it's been going on it's still going on so I don't know what the f*** you're talking about it's also been admitted by the NBA that they show favoritism towards star players this is a fact this isn't a conspiracy theory it's not speculation on Monday morning qb.

Its a fact

So.youre wrong again

As for conspiracies always being caught that's not true man it's simply not true in fact most of the fairies activity goes on notice especially when there's millions of dollars on the line

So youre wrong there...

Notice to nobody is saying it has to be the refs nobody saying it has to be the owner's nobody saying it has to be anything all we're saying is that the statistical probability that the Patriots can keep winning at this pace year after year is highly highly improbable and in fact raised as many red flags Belichick is a good show Coach but he ain't that good and Tom Brady is 40 years old and I like I said I guarantee you you he's using HGH there's no way of shoulder should be holding on

I will simply End by saying this dude I don't trust that River on guy I just don't and for all the calls that he's randomly came in and overturned it's all ended up helping the Patriots you couple that with what's happened in the past and it stinks to high heaven that's all I'm going to say dude even Patriots fans are in admitting it 

23 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I don't believe the NFL is completely "fixed" - at least not to the extend that the WWE and professional wrestling is totally scripted for a particular outcome. 

But that doesn't mean I believe the league is completely fair and free of outside influence.  If there is a dollar to be made by swaying a play or even a game, it's highly likely that someone is trying (if not succeeding) at doing just that.

The MLB turned its back on steroid abuse for over a decade, because players chasing home run records was big business.  In the NBA, a referee was caught by the FBI betting on playoff games.  Since being convicted, he has alleged that ALL of his colleagues do the same.  This summer, he claimed the league was trying to let the Cavaliers win to extend the Finals.  When the Patriots were caught cheating the first time (Spygate), the NFL responded by immediately destroying the evidence, giving the team a slap on the wrist and doing everything in their power to downplay the incident.

Even if there isn't an NFL mandate that states - "Must help New England win the Super Bowl" - you better believe the refs are pushed to protect the league's marquee QBs like Tom Brady.  Maybe there isn't a giant conspiracy to assist the Steelers or Packers - but you would be foolish to think these officials are not gambling or playing fantasy football.  And with the money involved, organized crime is certainly entrenched behind the scenes.

Well stated sir.  If history has taught us anything, it is when there is money involved, big money in the NFL's case, there is usually some underhanded behind the scenes stuff going on. 

It's impossible to fix a sports game in today's world. 

Humans make mistakes. Mistakes are part of the game. The replay official however should be fired. That wasn't a mistake. I don't think it was him trying to influence the outcome of the game, but just incompetence. He can't do his job. It's an easy job to do IMO. 

Some of you are thinking about this too hard.

Yes.  A vast, league-wide conspiracy would probably be tough to pull off.  Do 32 billionaires and Roger Goodell meet in secret every spring, then decide which team to vault to the Super Bowl that season?  Probably not.

But is it possible that certain owners (lets' just say Robert Kraft) has some key officials in his pocket?  That's certainly not a hard idea to wrap your head around.  Especially now that instant replay is done by a single centralized source, rather than a crew by crew basis.  Notice that all of these controversial calls in favor of the Patriots came through replay - either overturning a call that shouldn't have been, or not overturning a call that should.  One guy on the take, and you can swing a half-dozen games in your favor.

Is it possible that organized crime has heavy influence on the gambling side?  Think about how much money is changing hands, based on the spread of a game.  I would be shocked if something was not happening behind the scenes here.

Then of course, you have the obvious favoring of star players - particularly the league's top quarterbacks.  This may not be considered technically fixing or even cheating, but it absolutely affects the outcomes of numerous games every single season.  And it only helps teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, etc.  Think about how many quarterbacks have gotten injured over the years.  But when Tom Brady went down for the season with an ACL tear, the NFL immediately started passing rules about hitting QBs low.  When Aaron Rodgers got hurt earlier this year, all of a sudden there were stories everywhere about how the NFL needs to pass more rules to protect the passers.  (So don't be surprised when that happens again this offseason).

Edited by mjt328
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So...this overwhelmingly obvious conspiracy is likely only known by the patriots.....and every poster on this board?

Essentially, every NFL fan knows it is going on, but the owners are still in the dark?  That's the part that "makes sense" to you?

It only takes a couple of refs on the payroll. It doesn't have to be a grand conspiracy. We know it happened in the NBA, there's no reason to assume it couldn't happen in the NFL too.

41 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

It only takes a couple of refs on the payroll. It doesn't have to be a grand conspiracy. We know it happened in the NBA, there's no reason to assume it couldn't happen in the NFL too.

In the NBA, Donaghy was not on any owner's payroll.  He himself was betting on games and passing info to other bettors for money.

What is being talked about here is one owner getting favorable treatment by the head of the replay review (for money) right under the noses of all of the other owners. 

How is that possible? 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

In the NBA, Donaghy was not on any owner's payroll.  He himself was betting on games and passing info to other bettors for money.

What is being talked about here is one owner getting favorable treatment by the head of the replay review (for money) right under the noses of all of the other owners. 

How is that possible? 

Don't be so narrow in your thinking. The possible scenarios are endless. A league-wide conspiracy with all the owners and refs in on it would be a hell of a feat to pull off, but someone getting the head of replay review to favor one team over another isn't exactly the government planning 9/11.

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Don't be so narrow in your thinking. The possible scenarios are endless. A league-wide conspiracy with all the owners and refs in on it would be a hell of a feat to pull off, but someone getting the head of replay review to favor one team over another isn't exactly the government planning 9/11.

The problem with that scenario is that, in the NBA, no one knew Donaghy was gambling on games until the NYPOST broke the story about the FBI investigation.  Yet here, we have one individual seemingly blatantly favoring one owner in front of all others---and there is not one person who can produce evidence of corruption?

Let's face it--the pats aren't exactly master criminals.  In spygate, they had their videographer standing right in full view all the time for everyone to see   and in deflate gate, they had the "deflater" walking around past the refs in the locker room, on video cam, with big bags of balls to deflate them in the toilet.

Yet now they have been able to pay off the guy who does all the reviews of scores----and everyone in the world has figured out he's on  the take.....everyone except anyone at the NFL?

On 12/27/2017 at 1:22 AM, westerndecline said:

Does anyone have any compelling evidence statistical evidence or rational reasons on why they think the NFL is fixed? I'd be interested in hearing your arguments because the more time I spend being a Bills fan the more I turn into Oliver Stone.

This recent call that was randomly overturn from New York really has me worried

I also find it bizarre that the San Diego Chargers moved to LA and when 10 years prior the charges were a horrible team and talk of them moving was also a possibility Eli Manning ran away went to New York

John Elway didn't want to go to Baltimore and then Baltimore left

Jim Kelly didn't want to come to Buffalo then randomly signs a huge contract with a massive endorsements from Elites in the Buffalo Bills go to four straight Super Bowls

Then when Michael Vick was in his prime he was talked out of going to Buffalo

There is merit to some of your points but in general I think its just the league itself. It does no good for the NFL to have an issue were it looks like teams are favored ie: New England, Seattle, Green Bay, Pitt etc... I think as fans who are on downtrodden teams like BUF, CLE, CIN, DET who haven't had much success we will find the flaws even greater then perhaps an up and coming Rams team or Panthers team.

That said I do find it pretty hard to digest that NE has now benefited big time from four major calls that have gone there way with major impacts on the outcome of their games (HOU Cooks catch, PIT James catch, BUF Benjamin catch, & NYJ Jenkins catch). Even a non bias person would say that is really bad for the league to have a team benefit that clearly from calls that are blatantly wrong.

At the same point if your the NFL think of how bad it is optics wise that a team like NE who people do not like and people are always looking for a reason to bash is again in the cross hairs of a major call that allow Patriot haters more ammunition to discredit their success. That does ziltch for the NFL brand to help it and I say that as a Bills fan and fellow Patriot hater. This is where replay, not knowing what a catch is, and the massive amount of stupid rules/rule changes have forced the refs far more into the spotlight then ever needed. That is 100% un-equivalently on the NFL as a league.

The Chargers point is pretty bad. They have a lot of talent on that team and the last two years led the league in losses by like 7pts or less. Their schedule also was relatively soft after finishing last in the division. I understand that from a distance it looks shady but you could say the same about the Rams success.

I will say this though the NFL is notorious that if you piss off the ownership circle they will have it out for you. Al Davis was despised for how he did his business and battled the NFL. Kraft and the Patriots are not respected in certain ways by a lot of owners and the deflategate suspension/penalties levied were a show of that dislike/jealously by other owners. I think Jerry Jones is very close to actually being shunned into a corner as the crazy old guy especially with Richardson's passing thanks to the stink he created with Elliot and Goodell's contract. At some point every sword loses its edge and Jones is teetering there.

It's just extremely weird bizarre and a huge red flag that is soon as the Rams move to a big Market they're awesome

How much you want to bet that the Chargers go to a conference Championship in the next few years

How much do you want to bet that it comes out in 5 to 10 years that Tom Brady is on HGH and that the league knew about it probably

And just like the NBA how much do you want to bet that there was a protocol from NFL Headquarters to protect high-end players like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers and new quarterbacks like Carson Wentz and Jared Goff

How much more do you want to bet that in this draft something bizarre will happen to keep the bills from getting Rosen or darnold or even Baker Mayfield....

That's the b******* I'm talking about along with all of them cheatriots cheating

I know one thing the powers-that-be will do everything to keep darnold and Rosen out of Cleveland and that s*** pisses me off

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The problem with that scenario is that, in the NBA, no one knew Donaghy was gambling on games until the NYPOST broke the story about the FBI investigation.  Yet here, we have one individual seemingly blatantly favoring one owner in front of all others---and there is not one person who can produce evidence of corruption?

Let's face it--the pats aren't exactly master criminals.  In spygate, they had their videographer standing right in full view all the time for everyone to see   and in deflate gate, they had the "deflater" walking around past the refs in the locker room, on video cam, with big bags of balls to deflate them in the toilet.

Yet now they have been able to pay off the guy who does all the reviews of scores----and everyone in the world has figured out he's on  the take.....everyone except anyone at the NFL?

Dude what in the hell are you talking about we're noticing it right now the league is talking about it right now

I don't believe there is any type of "conspiracy" in the NFL to favor the Patriots or any other team. By definition, a conspiracy involves a number of people secretly agreeing on a course of action to benefit themselves or others. To this point, there is zero evidence of such a relationship in the NFL. People weave selected facts together to see a conspiracy where none likely exists.

Can individuals be corrupted by money? Yes, as we’ve already seen with a few NBA refs, pro tennis players and the Black Sox. Typically, this involves gambling and organized crime. If there was strong evidence that a widespread conspiracy was favoring one team over another outside of organized crime, NFL owners would have a bigger problem. Everyone involved would wake up with a horse’s head in their bed because they’d be cheating so many shady characters, who make their living on book operations.

Some here have pointed out that calls by refs (or replay officials) are biased toward the Patriots, or specific players (Brady, Brees, etc.). If there is a bias (it's likely because refs are human), it's subconscious. The Cam Newton example is telling. I would guess a number of “lesser” QBs don’t get the same calls as Brady, Rogers, etc. There is no directive to do so, it’s just unconscious bias at work.

A can recommend a great book on this subject.

“Scorecasting” by Tobias Moskowitz and L. Jon Wertheim is an excellent book on how hidden biases affect decision-making in sports. They looked a data from a variety of sports an analyzed how refs, coaches, players, etc. made “irrational” decisions because of influences outside the games. Coaches don’t go for it on 4th down even though doing so would increase their odds of winning a game. Baseball umpires change the size of the strike zone depending on the count (at 3-0 the zone gets bigger, at 0-2 the zone gets smaller). Refs give more subjective calls (i.e. holding, PI) to the home team in all sports likely because of fan bias. Statistically, this is really bad in the NBA.

Success of teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, etc. are more likely caused by better team management, coaching and having a star QB than by any conspiracy that might exist in the league. As many have pointed out here, if it’s obvious to casual fans (TBD denizens), you can bet the hyper-competitive ownership of the other teams would raise holy hell in order to stop it. There is just too much money and ego on the line for them to passively let this type of thing go by.

Someone pointed out that owners would just be happy because they are already making so much money. Tell that to the members of Congress that just passed a huge tax cut for the wealthiest Americans under the threat of having their campaign contributions curtailed by rich donors. The uber-wealthy can never have enough. That’s how they keep score.

EdW

Edited by BisonMan

9 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

It's just extremely weird bizarre and a huge red flag that is soon as the Rams move to a big Market they're awesome

How much you want to bet that the Chargers go to a conference Championship in the next few years

How much do you want to bet that it comes out in 5 to 10 years that Tom Brady is on HGH and that the league knew about it probably

And just like the NBA how much do you want to bet that there was a protocol from NFL Headquarters to protect high-end players like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers and new quarterbacks like Carson Wentz and Jared Goff

How much more do you want to bet that in this draft something bizarre will happen to keep the bills from getting Rosen or darnold or even Baker Mayfield....

That's the b******* I'm talking about along with all of them cheatriots cheating

I know one thing the powers-that-be will do everything to keep darnold and Rosen out of Cleveland and that s*** pisses me off

Dude what in the hell are you talking about we're noticing it right now the league is talking about it right now

My new favorite poster...

A few years ago I suspected there might be an incentive for the league to "favor" some teams over others. This may be influenced by the fact that ALL owners share EQUALLY on the TOTAL of ALL weekly ticket sales.  

In other words Pegula gets the same $$$$$ as Kraft.

With all that said, I searched google to find seating capacities and avg ticket sales per stadium. I created a spread sheet with the results.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oLcPYmu42YWpYWLkoqxAQHMDp8G4xZGvSgqTi5oghyM/htmlview

hope you can access the page.

ALL owners make more money when certain stadiums are FILLED.  Perhaps that was the reason for the "MUST have new stadium" line of thinking.

Edited by cd1

Want a fairy tale? Want to hear a tin foil hat fantasy?

Once upon a time there was a league upon which BILLIONS of dollars were wagered on games through legal and illegal bookies every year.

All one has to do is cover the spread to win the bet. The game W/L outcome doesn't even matter in most of it.

The league officials can ignore very obvious infractions, or make completely obviously wrong play reversals nullifying scores and so on, and NOTHING happens to them.

But nobody ever makes calls like that to influence the score, because it would be wrong.

That is the fairy tale if you ask me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Chris66 said:

Maybe the other owners are pissed at Pegula for keeping the team in Buffalo. Maybe they are also pissed because he seems in no hurry to build a stadium. Maybe it has less to do with NE and more to do with screwing the Bills.

Very possible. The league still holds a grudge against the Raiders. It could go back to us losing 4 straight SB's. Does the league really want the Bills to return to a SB? Probably not. That music city lateral could've gone either way. The dozens of controversial calls we've had go against us while playing the Patriots. All of these things individually might seem suspicious. But put them all together and real doubt starts to creep in. Money will always be the final denominator. Maybe not a full blown conspiracy but there's something very unethical going on.