Does the Miami rivalry still matter?

SDS

Does the Miami rivalry still matter?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Does the Miami rivalry still matter?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, GG said:

Poll should be done by age group.  For older geezers like me, yes.  For the youngens, no. 

The Bills vs Dolphins was bad when it was Kelly vs Marino. But for sheer intensity the Buffalo Braves vs Boston Celtics was a lost worse. How's that for age group?

And here's another no look behind the back pass by Ernie D!

Edited by Bob Lamb
  • Like (+1) 2

Restructure putting Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and Green Bay into the "Great Lakes Division;" the new black and blue and play all games outdoors! It creates new regional rivalries, years ago watching the Bears, Packers, Lions and Browns slug it out on a cold gray day was great football!

10 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Restructure putting Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, and Green Bay into the "Great Lakes Division;" the new black and blue and play all games outdoors! It creates new regional rivalries, years ago watching the Bears, Packers, Lions and Browns slug it out on a cold gray day was great football!

Need to have four teams in each division for best symmetry. But if we were to move, the league should just have Buffalo and Baltimore swap divisions. Makes sense logistically, but I would miss our traditional AFL rivalries.

No, it doesn't matter, and it hasn't mattered for years and years.

The Miami rivalry is now the New England rivalry, if you can call that a rivalry at all.

I remember both sides of the Miami rivalry...years of being their whipping boy followed by us getting the better of them during the Kelly/Thomas/Bruce/Reed years.

There were a LOT of important games played between those 2 teams during the Superbowl years, in both places but mostly in Buffalo, and we always seemed to win when it mattered...after a decade of getting our asses handed to us.

That stuff has been gone probably since the retirements of Marino and Kelly.

Edited by Fadingpain

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not nearly as much as it used to before NE became the dominant AFC East team. 

This.

it was the  for any Bills fan older than 45 until NE became the Beast of the East (and the west, south and central)......

4 hours ago, K-9 said:

0 for the 70s. 

‘Nuff said. 

It’s more than just that. Those were my formative years, and I sat freezing in the basement trying to warm up by the fire while I watched them prance around in flip flops and tee shirts that whole decade. I will NEVER forget or forgive!  

It still matters, as they are a division opponent and success in the division always matters in the NFL. It's not nearly the same as it was when both franchises had elite QBs , and controlled the top echelons of the AFC East. Neither team has scaled those heights in recent times, though MIA has been better than the Bills. The new regime must have draft success and fix the QB position, as Brady's career is nearing the end. It's on the Bills to change the hierarchy in the division when the Patriots revert to the mean. 

The Bills and Dolphins battled for tops in the AFC East in the late 80's and most of the 90s.  But the rise of the Patsies* and the 17 years of disparity has put an end to that.  Now the rivalry, however futile, is agains NE and trying to unseat them.  Maybe the Bills vs Dolphins rivalry will return; we'll see.  But this is contingent on parity returning to the division.

3 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s more than just that. Those were my formative years, and I sat freezing in the basement trying to warm up by the fire while I watched them prance around in flip flops and tee shirts that whole decade. I will NEVER forget or forgive!  

‘Nuff said from my POV. Feel free to embellish to your heart’s content. Nobody, least of all me, can speak for how anyone suffered through those years. I feel your pain.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Protesting that they won't pay Macahdo, so now supporting the Montreal expos since they will have the same chance as the O's

Red Sox and Yankees are very good and still hungry, no fun for us fans in Toronto.....