Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

On 9/13/2022 at 2:12 PM, Jauronimo said:

I've found it entertaining.  But I'm not some Tolkien nerd or someone who is losing their ***** about black hobbits and elves which seems to be where most of the criticism is coming from.

I'm a Tolkien fan. The backlash you are referring to from people who actually read the books isn't the racial component, it comes from the fact that they completed changed the timelines of a well-established universe and just made up new events using the names of characters, which is something Tolkien was pretty severely opposed to. Tolkien went out of his way to establish a painstaking timeline for his universe, he took it very seriously as his life's work and was famous for doing things like rejecting the Beatles' attempt, at the height of their fame, to buy the movie rights for the books because he didn't want his work bastardized. The criticism is valid. The criticism about race is a small minority of just racist non-book fans that the showrunners have attempted to generalize as all of their detractors so as to avoid criticism by just calling everyone who doesn't like the show bigots. Pretty common tactic Hollywood uses to deal with critics. 

Long story short - Hobbits and wizards didn't exist during the timeline of the show and Galadriel was never a warrior who led armies, but a powerful magic user.

Amazon did the same thing to the Wheel of Time, just arbitrarily changing huge things and mostly for the worse. As someone who read all 15 books of that series, it sucks to have something you invested time in and enjoy trampled on and just made crappy. 

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, ndirish1978 said:

I'm a Tolkien fan. The backlash you are referring to from people who actually read the books isn't the racial component, it comes from the fact that they completed changed the timelines of a well-established universe and just made up new events using the names of characters, which is something Tolkien was pretty severely opposed to. Tolkien went out of his way to establish a painstaking timeline for his universe, he took it very seriously as his life's work and was famous for doing things like rejecting the Beatles' attempt, at the height of their fame, to buy the movie rights for the books because he didn't want his work bastardized. The criticism is valid. The criticism about race is a small minority of just racist non-book fans that the showrunners have attempted to generalize as all of their detractors so as to avoid criticism by just calling everyone who doesn't like the show bigots. Pretty common tactic Hollywood uses to deal with critics. 

Long story short - Hobbits and wizards didn't exist during the timeline of the show and Galadriel was never a warrior who led armies, but a powerful magic user.

Amazon did the same thing to the Wheel of Time, just arbitrarily changing huge things and mostly for the worse. As someone who read all 15 books of that series, it sucks to have something you invested time in and enjoy trampled on and just made crappy. 

Dude, the backlash about black hobbits and elves was literally about black hobbits and elves not the timeline.

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Dude, the backlash about black hobbits and elves was literally about black hobbits and elves not the timeline.

Right, you're saying that was the main portion of people criticizing the show, I'm telling you it's not and offered some reasons why the show kind of stinks for tolkien nerds. The people who are complaining about race are not tolkien nerds, they are morons who like to whine about anything. 

Edited by ndirish1978

2 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Right, you're saying that was the main portion of people criticizing the show, I'm telling you it's not and offered some reasons why the show kind of stinks for tolkien nerds. The people who are complaining about race are not tolkien nerds, they are morons who like to whine about anything. 

When the show was fresh, I saw almost no criticism of timelines and outrage about the race of casted actors.   Yes, they are loud and aggressive morons and they dominated early criticism of the show when the post you quoted was made.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/4/2023 at 11:40 AM, Jauronimo said:

Nope, it's because it's just not good. They could not replicate the aesthetic of the LOTR. Despite its budget, it felt like a cheap knock-off, poor script, weak characters and not worth the time. I wanted to like but just thought it was a waste of money. 

I feel the same about the new Games of Thrones. 

6 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Nope, it's because it's just not good. They could not replicate the aesthetic of the LOTR. Despite its budget, it felt like a cheap knock-off, poor script, weak characters and not worth the time. I wanted to like but just thought it was a waste of money. 

I feel the same about the new Games of Thrones. 

Are you really telling me there was no criticism of casting decisions based solely on race in LOTR?

My wife and I just finished watching The Rings of Power and both though it was a major dud.

We love the LoTR trilogy and had high hopes for the Rings of Power, but felt the storyline and acting was totally flat.

Great visuals and special effects, but at the end, a big waste of time.

Both Galadriel and Elrond were poorly cast and were difficult to like.

On other note... F Amazon for moving the filming location and production from New Zealand to the UK.

2 hours ago, Bad Things said:

My wife and I just finished watching The Rings of Power and both though it was a major dud.

We love the LoTR trilogy and had high hopes for the Rings of Power, but felt the storyline and acting was totally flat.

The series is supposed to be set a thousand years before LoTR, yet, both have the exact same technologies. They're still lighting with torches and fighting with broadswords.

I guess Middle Earth is full of Luddites.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, Teddy KGB said:

Glass Onion (Knives out 2.0) on Netflix is a heater. 

Edward Norton Jr and Daniel Craig kill it. 

I didn't like Knives Out but thought give Glass Onion a shot, that movie was horrible. Slow pace and no characters that were remotely likable so I quit about a third of the way through.

If you like documentaries, I recommend American Animals.  Interesting tale on a bunch of college kids trying to steal art from their college library. 

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I didn't like Knives Out but thought give Glass Onion a shot, that movie was horrible. Slow pace and no characters that were remotely likable so I quite about a third of the way through.

If you like documentaries, I recommend American Animals.  Interesting tale on a bunch of college kids trying to steal art from their college library. 

93 % liked it.     7% didn’t.  

guess you’re a 7 % er 

Fun movie for me, gotta rate on a scale as they don’t make good movies anymore 😂

Edited by Teddy KGB