Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

36 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Green is generally used as symbolism for hope, change, rebirth, which are themes that obviously apply to this story, not to mention go along with the swampy environment. Washing out the scenes with the same hue also adds to the harsh feel of the life they were trying to portray. They talk a little about it here: https://www.distractify.com/p/is-emancipation-movie-in-black-and-white

I guess I'd rather have them fill the screen with those colors organically rather than alter it after the fact. The final product was just too dull to look at for me. For comparison, the movie Rescue Dawn comes to mind. Story of a Vietnam pilot escaping prison and being pursued while battling the jungle elements. They filled the scenes with green.

that is pretty wild. I actually googled and found the same site you did.

this stood out to me here: "The color-graded hues sit somewhere between black, white and gray, but why wasn’t the full color spectrum utilized? Probably to protect the audience from the nonstop blood and gore projected on screen throughout its 2-hour, 12-minute runtime," Deadline's Valerie Complex wrote in her review of the film. 

also this: Variety noted that crimson hues are prominent in Emancipation's final battle scene, specifically present in the Confederate flag, the Union banner, and, naturally, in blood. This type of symbolism can be compared to the little girl in the red coat in the otherwise black-and-white 1993 film Schindler's List.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I guess I'd rather have them fill the screen with those colors organically rather than alter it after the fact.

when I was watching I was like is the hue/tint my media player? I was using windows "movies & tv" player so I switched to Gom Player and no change so just took it as how the film was made.

7 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

that is pretty wid. I actually googled and found the same site you did.

this stood out to me here: "The color-graded hues sit somewhere between black, white and gray, but why wasn’t the full color spectrum utilized? Probably to protect the audience from the nonstop blood and gore projected on screen throughout its 2-hour, 12-minute runtime," Deadline's Valerie Complex wrote in her review of the film. 

also this: Variety noted that crimson hues are prominent in Emancipation's final battle scene, specifically present in the Confederate flag, the Union banner, and, naturally, in blood. This type of symbolism can be compared to the little girl in the red coat in the otherwise black-and-white 1993 film Schindler's List.

I don't think they were trying to protect the audience, I think it was definitely a symbolic thing, like the red it mentions.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Tierlifer said:

I think the 2nd season has been effin amazing! I also love you can’t binge it. Makes it more enjoyable and the anticipation is fun for the next episode. I also think the 2nd season has been much better than the 1st and you don’t even have to watch the first and can jump right to season 2. 

I am seriously considering a trip to Sicily after watching this, it looks freeking amazing .

I have now seen all of Season 2 (loved season 1 as well) and I have been following all of the things they do in the show on the internet.  Specifically, I am going to google maps and then choosing satellite view, and then zooming in to find the places they are at. 

I have found their hotel, the ancient Greek theatre (that is actually right near the hotel), many of the buildings they showed closeups of in Noto, including the church with the huge giant run of steps in front of it, and tons of other things.

Their hotel is in Taormina, on the NE coast of Sicily.  It's called the San Domenico Palace.  It's $800 a night.

You could totally rent a car or some scooters and see almost everything on the show in a fun 7 day trip to Sicily.

The only thing that would be tough is when they get on the boat and sail to the Englishman's private palazzo.  That's in Palermo, which is in the NW corner of Sicily, in a totally different part of the island.

Most of the show has them going up and down the east coast and going a bit inland to the house from "The Godfather".

It would be a really cool trip.  

On 11/28/2022 at 6:19 PM, Logic said:

If anyone has Amazon Prime, I recommend The Wilds. 

Plane crashes on an uninhabited island. Plane full of teenage girls has to co-exist and survive.

Two seasons are available, but very captivating.

Sounds good, but how derivative of "Lord of the Flies" is it?  That's my concern.

31 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Sounds good, but how derivative of "Lord of the Flies" is it?  That's my concern.

The second season features a plane full of boys on another part of the island. That one is a little closer to LOTF.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

So last night we caught "The Watcher" on Netflix.  This is a 7 part series that I believe terminates at the end of the 7 parts.  No season 2.

It was good enough to hook us and we burned through parts 1-6.  

Tonight is the finale.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this and if you liked it.

p23062827_b_h8_aa.jpg?w=960&h=540

Edited by Nextmanup

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

So last night we caught "The Watcher" on Netflix.  This is a 7 part series that I believe terminates at the end of the 7 parts.  No season 2.

Tonight is the finale.

Weird that we watched it and liked it, but I don’t remember much about it 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Weird that we watched it and liked it, but I don’t remember much about it 😂

The show is kind of stupid when you boil it down, but it's done well enough moment to moment to be a fun "page turner" of sorts.  Kind of a "whodunnit" where every single person in the show is intentionally designed to be highly suspicious!

On 12/26/2022 at 11:19 AM, Nextmanup said:

Tonight is the finale.

We've been watching this over the past couple weeks and are up to Episode 6.  I love me a good whodunit and this is a great one!  Great acting, too.  I'll come back and chime in when we finish it up, which should be by the end of the weekend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

We've been watching this over the past couple weeks and are up to Episode 6.  I love me a good whodunit and this is a great one!  Great acting, too.  I'll come back and chime in when we finish it up, which should be by the end of the weekend.

We finished it but I won't say a thing at this time!  I did enjoy it though and wish it would somehow continue.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Usually, I would not post a list made by someone else, but so many of the shows at this link are ones I've enjoyed...

Don’t Trust the B---- in Apartment 23

Eureka

Jericho

Suburgatory

News Radio

Galavant

Trial & Error

https://www.buzzfeed.com/fabianabuontempo/severely-underrated-tv-shows-most-people-havent-seen

Just finished White Lotus S2 last night.  It was very good, but the storyline about the two couples became sort of tedious and annoying. Loved how things ended for Tanya and Portia.  The young British kid, Dillon, was a really interesting (and sort of dark) character.  Also, the twist at the end with the 2 prostitutes was well done.  I think I enjoyed S1 more, but still an excellent season.

19 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Just finished White Lotus S2 last night.  It was very good, but the storyline about the two couples became sort of tedious and annoying. Loved how things ended for Tanya and Portia.  The young British kid, Dillon, was a really interesting (and sort of dark) character.  Also, the twist at the end with the 2 prostitutes was well done.  I think I enjoyed S1 more, but still an excellent season.

The prostitutes won the season. Ones got a pile of cash and the other has a sweet job as Piano player. 

I wonder if they will decide to roll any of these folks into the next season.    I’d like to see the grandpa, son, and grandson run it back.  

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I actually think I enjoyed Season 1 more as well, but probably because the concept of the show was new and fresh at the time, not necessarily because it was a better story.  Though it may have been!  I fell in love with all the cinematography of season 2 and in fact have been following their locations on Google maps.  The show was very accurate and authentic; when they said "let's go to the old Greek theatre" it all made sense.  It's right there not very far from the hotel they filmed at.

I was a little disappointed that Tanya's character ended the way she did, but then again she was not particularly likable.

The two actors/actresses I would like to see more of in the future are Sabbrina Impacciatore (hotel manager) and Simona Tabasco (Lucia the prostitute).

I thought both of those actresses were fantastic.

Hell, I even enjoyed F. Murray Abraham's character quite a bit!  When I first saw him I was like "they are dragging this guy out of nowhere for the show?"  but he was excellent.

Least favorite character on the show: Albie Di Grasso.

• Like (+1) 1