Notable Nexflix / Amazon / Premium Channel Series & Movies

Heitz

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Finally watched Episode 1 of "Squid Game" on Netflix last night.

I liked it well enough, though it took a long time to get to the actual "game" part of the show.

Is everyone else watching this?

Autumn called and it wants its show du jour back. I kid I kid….I watched it and really enjoyed it. Interesting take on society and humanity. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just watched the first episode of Station Eleven on HBO Max. I had read the book years ago and really liked it, but never saw it translating well to the screen. That fear aside, episode 1 grabbed my attention and am looking forward to watching more.

If you're not familiar, Station Eleven is essentially the story of a post-apocolyptic America after a highly contagious and extremely deadly flu wipes out most of the population. Yes, it's hard to watch without viewing it through the lens of COVID, but the book was written in 2015 and other than that premise/setup, the flu is not the story. The main story (barely touched upon in episode 1) takes place years later and follows a group of traveling performers wandering across a decimated America staging plays for the small communities they encounter along the way.

1 hour ago, DD4Bills said:

Just watched the first episode of Station Eleven on HBO Max. I had read the book years ago and really liked it, but never saw it translating well to the screen. That fear aside, episode 1 grabbed my attention and am looking forward to watching more.

If you're not familiar, Station Eleven is essentially the story of a post-apocolyptic America after a highly contagious and extremely deadly flu wipes out most of the population. Yes, it's hard to watch without viewing it through the lens of COVID, but the book was written in 2015 and other than that premise/setup, the flu is not the story. The main story (barely touched upon in episode 1) takes place years later and follows a group of traveling performers wandering across a decimated America staging plays for the small communities they encounter along the way.

I have heard of this but not seen any of it yet.  Sounds like an interesting setup for a story.

And it just goes to show that a story can be about absolutely ANYTHING as long as its good and well told.

It's also why it can be so frustrating to see the same formulaic ideas over and over and over.

I just watched Dopesick on Hulu and it was amazing - truly riveting. It follows the development and marketing of OxyContin and how it spurred the opioid crises.  A company and family of owners somehow convinced everyone that a powerful opioid was not addictive and made billions while people and communities were ruined. Michael Keaton is excellent as a rural coal community doctor. 8 part series - you'll want to binge it.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The Avenger said:

I just watched Dopesick on Hulu and it was amazing - truly riveting. It follows the development and marketing of OxyContin and how it spurred the opioid crises.  A company and family of owners somehow convinced everyone that a powerful opioid was not addictive and made billions while people and communities were ruined. Michael Keaton is excellent as a rural coal community doctor. 8 part series - you'll want to binge it.

Agreed.  I thought it was great.  Try “The Pharmacist” if you haven’t seen it.  It’s a documentary about a specific aspect of the same thing…..OxyContin….although it starts with something else.  It was great.  Great.

Having seen The Pharmacist it made me realize that the dramatized parts of Dopesick probably weren’t way off.  What a tragedy this crisis has been.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just checking in looking for our next obsession. Out of curiosity I googled Ted Lasso and it looks like next summer before a new season comes out. It appears that the Bosch spinoff (that isn’t a “spinoff”, but a “continuation” - that had to be a money thing in some way) started filming about last June. Those were my favorites. 

Thinking of starting Ozark or Yellowstone with the wife. Open to suggestions for something fairly light.  I’m afraid the Oxy shows would just depress me. 

On 1/8/2022 at 5:39 PM, Augie said:

Just checking in looking for our next obsession. Out of curiosity I googled Ted Lasso and it looks like next summer before a new season comes out. It appears that the Bosch spinoff (that isn’t a “spinoff”, but a “continuation” - that had to be a money thing in some way) started filming about last June. Those were my favorites. 

Thinking of starting Ozark or Yellowstone with the wife. Open to suggestions for something fairly light.  I’m afraid the Oxy shows would just depress me. 

Rewatching Ozark now in anticipation of season 4.  Forgot how good it is.  

Easily bingeable.  Great show.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/12/2022 at 6:41 PM, Awwufelloff said:

Ozark is overrated. Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul are both better. If you enjoyed game of thrones both Vikings and The Last Kingdom are fantastic.

Uhhhh...no.  I think it’s appropriate rated.  It’s not up there with shows like Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad and GoT, but it’s very, very good IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/7/2022 at 9:35 AM, DD4Bills said:

I read Station Eleven as well and also thought it would be difficult put on screen. The screenwriters seem to agree and significantly altered the story.  One or two things bothered me but overall, I thought it was very good. Sorry to see it end. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Uhhhh...no.  I think it’s appropriate rated.  It’s not up there with shows like Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad and GoT, but it’s very, very good IMO.

Yeah I agree with that.  I agree that BB and BCS are better shows, but that doesn't mean Ozark is somehow bad or not worth your time.

There are very few really good TV series going at any one point in time--Ozark is one of them.

Worth a watch.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/14/2022 at 11:44 AM, Max Fischer said:

I read Station Eleven as well and also thought it would be difficult put on screen. The screenwriters seem to agree and significantly altered the story.  One or two things bothered me but overall, I thought it was very good. Sorry to see it end. 

As someone that has not read the book, would it still be entertaining?