Four Plays...

Mods, feel free to merge if you’d like. I want to quickly address four plays that, if they went in a different direction, completely change the dynamic of the game. These four plays are why I’m so infuriated like the rest of you. These four plays also show that the NFL is more like he WWE now where the outcome is predetermined. Unfortunatey for us, the Pats are the NFL’s John Cena and they want them to win. 

1) The Benjamin TD. Man... this play is the epitome of why NFL ratings are dropping. Every day that is a catch. Against any team other than the Pats that is a catch. The biggest issue is overturning it. Called a TD on the field there is no way you can change that. Two feet down and control! It was a momentum crusher and instead of being up 4 at half we were tied. The Bills were absolutely crushed after this. Horrible call. 

2) Lewis 4th and 1 stopped. Extending the ball and it being marked where the extension is, is only valid on out-of-bounds plays and goalline plays. The ball was correctly marked by the SJ and overturned for what reason?! Only because it’s the dang Pats. I swear man... WWE meets NFL again. Once again, another momentum crusher and it brought our defense back on the field when they were off and catching their breath. Just give it to em’ all over again. Another horrible call. 

3) Hyde PI. Initially it may have looked like defensive PI to some, but watching it live I knew it was an awful call from the start. Replay confirmed that Cooks completely jumped into Hyde and somehow made and offensive PI a defensive PI. Result... a 40+ yard gain and the Pats score a few plays later. Oh look another horrible call. 

4) Elston PI in the end zone. Look, I agree upon replay review it was PI, however there was no flag for 3-4 seconds after the pass was ruled incomplete. That is the issue I have. It literally looks like on replay that the ref looks at Gronk to make sure he didn’t catch it, gets

his approval, and then throws the flag. That is where my outrage comes from. Good call but abysmal referee work. 

Its obvious the collusion the refs have in favor of NE. It’s so crushing and so demoralizing for us fans, the players, and the city of Buffalo. We don’t deserve this crap. I honestly don’t know how this changes. When the NFL just decides? I’m telling you... if these four plays are called correctly in the Bills favor today then we win. Call me wrong, but you’re wrong if you do. 

Rant end. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

It's wrestling man. It's fake as hell it was never more obvious than today.

The patriots are NOT some godly statistical anomoly!!! They appear that way because the rules are always tilted to their favor/benefit.

It's a joke man. Bills screwed on Christmas eve NFL should be ashamed.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Mods, feel free to merge if you’d like. I want to quickly address four plays that, if they went in a different direction, completely change the dynamic of the game. These four plays are why I’m so infuriated like the rest of you. These four plays also show that the NFL is more like he WWE now where the outcome is predetermined. Unfortunatey for us, the Pats are the NFL’s John Cena and they want them to win. 

1) The Benjamin TD. Man... this play is the epitome of why NFL ratings are dropping. Every day that is a catch. Against any team other than the Pats that is a catch. The biggest issue is overturning it. Called a TD on the field there is no way you can change that. Two feet down and control! It was a momentum crusher and instead of being up 4 at half we were tied. The Bills were absolutely crushed after this. Horrible call. 

2) Lewis 4th and 1 stopped. Extending the ball and it being marked where the extension is, is only valid on out-of-bounds plays and goalline plays. The ball was correctly marked by the SJ and overturned for what reason?! Only because it’s the dang Pats. I swear man... WWE meets NFL again. Once again, another momentum crusher and it brought our defense back on the field when they were off and catching their breath. Just give it to em’ all over again. Another horrible call. 

3) Hyde PI. Initially it may have looked like defensive PI to some, but watching it live I knew it was an awful call from the start. Replay confirmed that Cooks completely jumped into Hyde and somehow made and offensive PI a defensive PI. Result... a 40+ yard gain and the Pats score a few plays later. Oh look another horrible call. 

4) Elston PI in the end zone. Look, I agree upon replay review it was PI, however there was no flag for 3-4 seconds after the pass was ruled incomplete. That is the issue I have. It literally looks like on replay that the ref looks at Gronk to make sure he didn’t catch it, gets

his approval, and then throws the flag. That is where my outrage comes from. Good call but abysmal referee work. 

Its obvious the collusion the refs have in favor of NE. It’s so crushing and so demoralizing for us fans, the players, and the city of Buffalo. We don’t deserve this crap. I honestly don’t know how this changes. When the NFL just decides? I’m telling you... if these four plays are called correctly in the Bills favor today then we win. Call me wrong, but you’re wrong if you do. 

Rant end. 

1 & 2 we're egregious and if I was Pegula or McD I'd be on the phone with Goodell. 3 was OPI on a underthrown ball by Brady. 4 was so late it was like 5 min. after the play. This blatant Patriot lovefest with the NFL has to end. Teams should just refuse to play them. Make a statement. When you have a coach and QB as good as B&T,  you shouldn't need the league to carry you over the goal line.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Rant end. 

In terms of refereeing, these are all valid complaints. You're right on #4 though, it was definitely PI.

A good #5 would "all the non-holding calls" against the Pats. I saw countless BLATANT holds against the Bills that went uncalled that ticked me off almost as much as any of these.

And I'd understand the Benjamin call if it was called that way on the field, I really would. If they had said from the get-go it wasn't caught in-bounds, I'd be fine with the ruling being upheld. But since there has to be irrefutable evidence to overturn a call, and the call on the field is supposed to stand if the evidence is iffy, the fact it was overturned was BS.

However, it shouldn't have even gotten to that point. Clay should've caught the TD pass the play before and made it all moot. Taylor doesn't throw many redzone TD's as it is, so the fact he finally had one & it was dropped is just deflating.

• Like (+1) 1

I was just about to post the same thing. It's 2am and this stupid game is still running through my mind.  It was everything listed on this thread. The top 3 plays plus the erroneous holding call by the WR on Shady's run that cost the Bills a chance to go ahead again. That seemed to be the straw that broke the camels back. After that, the offense seemed to fold and the D allowed another TD and that was the game. 

And like it was stated, the Pats held on that play at least 2-3 times but no calls. Meanwhile they call our WR as Shady is running out of bounds at the end of the play. It was truly sickening. If I didn't have the Bills in my blood from birth, I'd give up on the NFL all together.  This was a pathetic joke of a game. 

It's Patriot football at it's finest. They only win because of about 5 momentum shifting plays per game.  A team has to be able to overcome those game shifting calls. What happens is that the opponent gets frustrated. The Steelers had it, but after the TD is turned back, they are forced to repeat the play, and with the momentum shift and disgust of losing the call, the opponent makes crucial mistakes. 

I have no idea why the Pats receive so much glorious treatment. You'd think every owner would fight back for rule changes, investigate the refs.

Is this good for the sport. Is the NFL making so much money off the Pats success that everyone gets hush money. Politics feels safer than the NFL. 

It's so blatant at this point, it is almost a joke. This may be the first Super Bowl I don't watch. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The switch from the call being reviewed by the refs at the stadium to the suits in New York City has made the replay system worse.  They need to either go back to the old way or get new people in NYC as there's no excuse for that call being overturned.

• Like (+1) 2

If KBs TD was called incomplete by the refs, then ok I would get not overturning it. I still think it was a catch, but I would get it.

What I don't get is how you overturn it, regardless of what the call was. There was no clear evidence to overturn or confirm anything.

Only way it gets overturned is bias and cheating.

We need to put an end to it, accept any penalties, fines, and ejections, and really lay the wood out and hurt several pats. They do it to us and get ref help, and all we need is to instill real fear. We aren't going to win as it is, so it is time to play dirty. I absolutely cannot believe we didn't target Gronk on every play. He barely got touched all game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

Rant end. 

It is clearly in the league and networks (who pay the league, who pay the refs) interest that the Patriots succeed and get a top seed in the playoffs, so that the  TV ratings of the playoffs are the highest they can be (which justify the rates paid by advertisers to the network, which then get paid to the league) .   Neither the networks or the league benefit from the Bills doing well, because the Bills kill TV ratings due the small size of the WNY market;  hell half of NFL fans don't even know there is a franchise in WNY.    Whether any of this trickles down to the officials is impossible to tell, but its in everyone's interest that the biggest TV draws (ie; Cowboys, Patriots, Giants, Jets, Rams etc.) do well.   No one wants to watch TV to see Charl Schwartzel win the Masters, they watch to see Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson win it.   

• Like (+1) 1

On #4, I watched the ref right from the start as I knew it was PI ... the ref was trying to pull out his flag almost immediately, but was trying to do it without looking down to grab it. He just didn't find it right away.

Each of your other points are clear and indisputable!

• Like (+1) 2

There were two problems with this call.  The replay office in NY overruled the officials on the field which called it a catch and TD.  I thought replay showed it was a catch, control of the football and 2 feet down on the field of play and that evidence to reverse the call was inconclusive at best or non-existent.  But they reversed the call. 

The second point is the real issue I have with the officiating.  If the roles were reversed. the teams changed uniforms, all other things being equal, and the Patriots came down and scored a TD with 2 seconds in the half is there anyone alive watching NFL football right now that doesn't believe they would have confirmed the ruling and awarding NE the TD?

I don't think the refs are paid off or told to officiate the games in favor of NE but there is definitely some serious level of intimidation and coercion going on here.  Getting fortuitous calls, and non-calls like never, ever getting holding on the o-line, from the ref's time after time cannot just be a coincidence.   

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
change wording
  • Like (+1) 1

Rant end. 

5) If you can go back and watch the Brady to Lewis TD pass where he runs it in 12 yds, take a look at Jerry Hughes (held badly) and Humber (block in back). I’m not one to see those plays normally but damn it, that was pretty obvious. No flag thrown. 

• Like (+1) 2

Rant end. 

I just don’t know what to think.

#1 - I thought it was a TD watching it on TV as it happened.  The referee was not in a good position that called it a TD because KB did not catch it clean as it initially looked. Then watching the replays I thought it appeared his foot was off the ground by the time it was controlled and it looked fairly clear it was not a TD.  Then they showed the split screen with simultaneously action from both sides and it really depends on when you call it control and on a play that close it should of stayed with the original call.  The bigger issue is Clay not catching the one before it.  It should not have come down to that difficult play.

#2 - This one I would need better understanding.  They always give forward progress to where the ball goes unless the player purposely moves backward like running.  I have seen calls like that before where guys dive over the pile to get a first down and bring it back to thei bodies and they typically give forward progress to the furthest point the ball went. I know that it was the RB pulling it back that moved it backwards - I just was not surprised it was marked forward with the progress.  I would love to see a conclusive rule and how that is written to understand the exact situation, but that did not surprise me at all and was not something unique to NE.

#3 -  The replay looks worse because Cooks basically hugs Hyde, but again I get the call and you see that all the time.  Romo was correct that is why sometimes you underthrow those because Hyde is running one way and any contact as the WR is coming back is going against the DB.  If Hyde had been in better position and not been sprinting downfield to catch up - it is not called, but even though Cooks initiated the contact he has a right to go get the ball and Hyde can not interfere with that if he is not making a play and he isn’t when the contact starts.

#4 - This was PI all the time and the referee starts reaching for the flag the moment the contact starts.  This was a no doubt call and not one we should be complaining about.  Was the flag late - yes, but not because someone was deciding if it was a penalty- the flag got stuck as he was monitoring the rest of the play.  That happens a lot on the late flags because the referee still has a responsibility to monitor the rest of the play while trying to locate and throw the flag and if their initial grab misses - sometimes they have to wait to be able to look down and locate the flag to throw it.

I think it is very difficult and teams need to be darn near perfect and get breaks to beat the Pats and when you have all of the questionable calls go against you - it is infuriating, but much like the call last week in Pittsburgh - just because it is NE does not mean they should ignore the rule - the TE much like Clay - went to the ground and the ball came loose and hit the ground.  If your rule states that is not a catch - then it should not be a catch.  

Every play described caused some kind of momentum switch that hurt the Bills, but the Bills also had chances early to prevent these things f on being factors and they did not make the plays.  When the Pats got their opportunities like Gronk (Jerk) he makes an amazing 1 hand catch and stays on his feet and gets 3 feet down.  That is the difference between the teams at the moment.

The TD and the holding issues were the worst. The others can be justified. The D plainly gave up being only 7 points down. Good news is that the Pats are aging and w/o Gronk they can be beaten as Miami showed. We hung in with them on their field for 3+ quarters with a gutted team and a first year HC. Things are looking up, boys.

7 hours ago, Shotgunner said:

If KBs TD was called incomplete by the refs, then ok I would get not overturning it. I still think it was a catch, but I would get it.

What I don't get is how you overturn it, regardless of what the call was. There was no clear evidence to overturn or confirm anything.

Only way it gets overturned is bias and cheating.

We need to put an end to it, accept any penalties, fines, and ejections, and really lay the wood out and hurt several pats. They do it to us and get ref help, and all we need is to instill real fear. We aren't going to win as it is, so it is time to play dirty. I absolutely cannot believe we didn't target Gronk on every play. He barely got touched all game.

yeah you know the Steelers scored a Super Bowl win with a toe tap that looked very similar in its inconclusivetivity and the Steelers tap was a TD.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

The Bills probably lose yesterday anyway, but after the league took that td away, its pretty obvious what was going on.  Thanks for playing buffalo, but the Generals don't get to beat the Globetrotters.  You're just here so it kinda looks like a game.  

That is hilarious!!  I was using the Globetrotter line throughout the entire second half. The only thing that was missing was a Patriot tossing a bucket full of confetti on a Bills player. (Did you see the clear taunting when the Patriot DB was waving bye bye to the Bills receiver? I guarantee that that would be a penalty if the teams were reversed!)

1 hour ago, flmike said:

The TD and the holding issues were the worst. The others can be justified. The D plainly gave up being only 7 points down. Good news is that the Pats are aging and w/o Gronk they can be beaten as Miami showed. We hung in with them on their field for 3+ quarters with a gutted team and a first year HC. Things are looking up, boys.

Bad news is this team is also aging and new complete new front seven/ new QB/ WR'S/ RBS,  the only position we seem ok is at DB'S,  everything else is a problem