DROY: Tre White nominated. Award presented tonight at 9pm NBC

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree 100% Kirby.  

The rookie defensive backs have been exactly as advertised.  Lattimore and White have been top 10 corners in the league as rookies, Marlon Humphrey has been very good too in Baltimore and got better as the season has gone on. Adams has had a solid season in NY and Hooker was playing well for the Colts before the injury.  

This DB class was loaded and are performing at a very high level. You know that I like to draft to the strength of a class because you get better value. Last year was an example of that. Tre White might have been the number one corner in this class (especially if Fitzpatrick is a safety). You would have never gotten him where we did is the point. Draft to the strength of the class. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This DB class was loaded and are performing at a very high level. You know that I like to draft to the strength of a class because you get better value. Last year was an example of that. Tre White might have been the number one corner in this class (especially if Fitzpatrick is a safety). You would have never gotten him where we did is the point. Draft to the strength of the class. 

That's especially true when you're drafting late in the 1st round.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, hemma said:

White (98% snaps) over Lattimore (66% snaps).

Availability should count.

Agreed

I also think that the fact that WHite has been having to cover in a scheme where the DL is not getting consistant pressure should be taken into consideration as well.......he has more passed defensed.......and he has to cover longer because of the lack of pass rush.

This is the only blowout on the list, with Lattimore receiving 12 of 14 votes. No player has had a bigger impact on the 

Saints' defensive revival. "He's turned into a pretty good shutdown corner, and they leave him on an island and he's been able to match up, which is hard for a corner to do," an NFC GM said. "That's maybe the hardest position to transition from college." The other two votes went to Bills cornerback Tre'Davious White.

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 12/18/2017 at 8:38 PM, BurpleBull said:

Yeah you can...Ron Brooks.

He was a 4th round pick that played 5 years in the NFL. That’s not exactly a disaster. 

On 12/19/2017 at 9:13 AM, hemma said:

White (98% snaps) over Lattimore (66% snaps).

Availability should count.

Lattimore has completely transformed that defense. I love White but Lattimore is one of the best CBs in the league now. White is top 10 or so and will have a great career. Lattimore is transcendent.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Well, crap. Who can compete with this?

Total luck is difficult to contend with. I think Lattimore is hands down already one of the best in the league, but that play is not illustrative of that at all. 

On 12/23/2017 at 12:59 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

Lattimore has completely transformed that defense. I love White but Lattimore is one of the best CBs in the league now. White is top 10 or so and will have a great career. Lattimore is transcendent.

I agree with this.  My scouting notes on Lattimore said "the next Darrelle Revis".  I have seen nothing to change my mind.  Yes his propensity to get nicked up will be mentioned and is a fair concern.  But when he is on the field he is the best defensive player out there, every single snap.  

I love Tre too.  He is an outstanding young corner.  Any evaluator worth his salt, whether amateur or employed by an NFL team, knew that this was a great class of defensive backs.  It has not disappointed.  4 of that PFF top 10 are rookie defensive backs..... and there are others like Marlon Humphrey, Adoree Jackson, Jamal Adams and (pre-injury) Malik Hooker who have all solid to good rookie years too.  I think in 5 years time we will be looking at this as maybe the greatest class of DBs ever to come into the NFL in a single year.  

On 12/29/2017 at 5:34 AM, GunnerBill said:

I agree with this.  My scouting notes on Lattimore said "the next Darrelle Revis".  I have seen nothing to change my mind.  Yes his propensity to get nicked up will be mentioned and is a fair concern.  But when he is on the field he is the best defensive player out there, every single snap.  

I love Tre too.  He is an outstanding young corner.  Any evaluator worth his salt, whether amateur or employed by an NFL team, knew that this was a great class of defensive backs.  It has not disappointed.  4 of that PFF top 10 are rookie defensive backs..... and there are others like Marlon Humphrey, Adoree Jackson, Jamal Adams and (pre-injury) Malik Hooker who have all solid to good rookie years too.  I think in 5 years time we will be looking at this as maybe the greatest class of DBs ever to come into the NFL in a single year.  

He missed a quarter-plus of the season, however. Availability is a key component of value.

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He missed a quarter-plus of the season, however. Availability is a key component of value.

No he didn't.  He missed 3 games. 1 with a concussion early on and then two games mid season with an ankle.  There is nothing there that isn't the normal rough and tumble of the league.  The supposed chronic hamstring issue that everyone went on about pre-draft that caused him to slide ridiculously to the Saints (he was the 2nd best player in the class behind Garrett for my money) has been nowhere to be seen. 

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No he didn't.  He missed 3 games. 1 with a concussion early on and then two games mid season with an ankle.  There is nothing there that isn't the normal rough and tumble of the league.  The supposed chronic hamstring issue that everyone went on about pre-draft that caused him to slide ridiculously to the Saints (he was the 2nd best player in the class behind Garrett for my money) has been nowhere to be seen. 

Sorry - I meant a quarter-minus. From Bill Barnwell:

After Week 4: Tre'Davious White, CB, Buffalo Bills
After Week 9: White

So, with no other rookie pass-rusher besides Garrett playing well enough to receive votes, this battle comes down to two players: White and Saints cornerback Marshon Lattimore. With all due respect to guys like Jamal Adamsand Marcus Williams, who have spent the season playing safety at a high level, it would be shocking if one of these two corners didn't win the award.

I don't think anybody would argue that Lattimore has been anything but the best rookie corner in the league when he has been on the field. No team has asked more of any rookie corner than the Saints of Lattimore, and he has consistently come through. Much of the Saints' improvement can be traced to Lattimore's presence; consider that through Week 16, they had allowed a passer rating of just 74.3 with Lattimore in the lineup, which rose to 97.2 when Lattimore was on the bench or injured. (Data for Week 17 isn't yet available.)

White's candidacy, then, is based on availability. Lattimore missed three games and played only six snaps in a fourth, costing him what amounts to one-quarter of the season. He played 711 defensive snaps. White didn't miss a game and played 98.6 percent of Buffalo's defensive snaps. The 27th overall pick, White made it all the way to 1,056 snaps, more than any other rookie defender. And while he might best be known for incurring Gronkowski's wrath on a cheap shotthat earned Gronk a one-game suspension, White has been an above-average cornerback all season.

This race should be closer than some people make it out to be, if only because availability should matter. Twelve games from Lattimore and four games of P.J. Williams as a starting cornerback isn't the same thing as 16 games of Lattimore. At the same time, though, Lattimore was playing Pro Bowl-caliber football when he was on the field. He looked like one of the best cornerbacks in the league of any experience level. Even with the missing games, Lattimore has done enough to win this award.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think Barnwell is a little harsh there to say White has been "above average" I think he has been better than "above average" he has been a top 10 corner and in most years would be an absolute shoe in for DROTY.  I just think Lattimore has been the best corner in the NFL this year (I'd put it between him and the two guys we are going to play on Sunday but I think Lattimore has faced superior competition in terms of opposing QBs and receivers) and doing that as a rookie is DROTY form for me regardless of whether he missed 3 and a half games or not.  He is going to be a generational player. 

• 2 weeks later...

The full PFWA All-Rookie team:

Offense

• QB – Deshaun Watson, Houston Texans
  • RB – Kareem Hunt, Kansas City Chiefs; Alvin Kamara, New Orleans Saints
  • WR – Cooper Kupp, Los Angeles Rams; Juju Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh Steelers
  • TE – Evan Engram, New York Giants
  • C – Pat Elflein, Minnesota Vikings
  • G – Dan Feeney, Los Angeles Chargers; Jermaine Eluemunor, Baltimore Ravens, and Ethan Pocic, Seattle Seahawks (tie)
  • T – Garett Bolles, Denver Broncos; Ryan Ramczyk, New Orleans Saints

Defense

• DL – Derek Barnett, Philadelphia Eagles; Myles Garrett, Cleveland Browns; Carl Lawson, Cincinnati Bengals; Dalvin Tomlinson, New York Giants
  • LB – Jarrad Davis, Detroit Lions; Reuben Foster, San Francisco 49ers; T.J. Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers
  • CB – Marshon Lattimore, New Orleans Saints; Tre’Davious White, Buffalo Bills
  • S – Jamal Adams, New York Jets; Marcus Williams, New Orleans Saints
Edited by YoloinOhio

On 1/3/2018 at 1:20 PM, GunnerBill said:

I think Barnwell is a little harsh there to say White has been "above average" I think he has been better than "above average" he has been a top 10 corner and in most years would be an absolute shoe in for DROTY.  I just think Lattimore has been the best corner in the NFL this year (I'd put it between him and the two guys we are going to play on Sunday but I think Lattimore has faced superior competition in terms of opposing QBs and receivers) and doing that as a rookie is DROTY form for me regardless of whether he missed 3 and a half games or not.  He is going to be a generational player. 

The Bills are still an after thought when It  comes to the main stream sports media.   

If we had a potent offense we might have seen more recognition.   

imo

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2017 at 5:34 AM, GunnerBill said:

Don't forget Sidney Jones who dropped out of R1 due to his knee injury.

On 1/3/2018 at 12:45 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Lattimore wins the mmqb vote, but Tre is the only one to appear on all 15 ballots 

IMO, Lattimore will win for the same reason so many guys get into the Pro Bowl.   He's got the league-wide 'buzz,' plays in a bigger market that went deeper in the playoffs and Buffalo is still an afterthought on the national NFL stage...

We all know how this story ends after Kiko and Darby. I'm just happy we have such a quality player, the accolades will come later.

Just now, Doc said:

Just to clarify, this is for all CB's, not just rookies, right?

Yup, and he still didn't make the pro bowl. 

1 minute ago, SaviorPeterman said:

PFF has White #3 overall in their coverage rankings.

Casey Hayward is #1 (the guy who had 2 INT's against Peterman in the Chargers game which makes that performance not look so bad in hindsight).

Take those away and he still threw 3 first half touchdowns. Come on dude this is just sad. Were you Savior Edwards back on the BBMB because if not you guys were separated at birth. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1